Neck Injury--Ruby

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are things this evening, Melissa?

If you can get a reasonable number of calories in her and she doesn't seem distressed or in pain, I too would let it ride for a few days and see how she gets on. Hard on you, I know. Physically and mentally.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just catching up with this - oh, my - I am so sorry this has happened to Ruby! Sending many, many prayers and hugs for everyone!

FWIW: I am curious about the new thinking about pred. As with a lot of things, I am not a fan of the one-size-fits-all philosophy. If Ruby is not making sufficient progress, is there anything to be lost by trying a course of pred? It certainly won't hurt her recovery and if she shows some improvement, wouldn't it be worth it? JMHO.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zombrie

We got Ruby outside early this a.m., and she initially seemed to be using her feet a little better, especially the front ones. Then she took a nice long pee. After that, though, she was tired, and wasn't moving as well. :( To be expected, I am sure.

She did not want to eat yet today--I tried the maximum calorie food (just let me say, what a mess that is. She prefers to lap it off my fingers instead of out of a bowl....it's like baby food with sand mixed in. Yuck.), and I tried chicken. No go. Eric said he got her to eat a lot of chicken last night, while Emily and I went to her school's musical. I didn't feel like going, but it was good for me, and I enjoyed it. I think I needed to get out.

I don't know if I should try syringe feeding her...or just give it a couple of hours. I do know that I cannot do this for a long period of time...even though she's 'smallish' as greyhounds go (60 pounds at a good weight, and she is no longer that :(), it is very taxing physically, to get her up and about. And we MUST use two people, there's no way to do it alone. I know, I know, it's much more difficult for HER, but I am not a spring chicken anymore either.....

I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this :(

I don't have real advice, except that when Ace was sick, we force fed him with a syringe every meal and after a couple of squirts it was like he said "oh yeah, I'm hungry! That tastes good!" and ate on his own after that

Ruby is still reluctant to eat. We're taking her to the vet today, to see what's up with that. Not eating=getting weaker and losing weight=minimizing her chances for recovery.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Sending prayers, Melissa.

Depending on what the vet thinks, it might be worth trying a low dose of pred to see if that will spark her appetite. Sometimes it does.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Finally back.

They did bloodwork, and it showed she *may* have a bit of pancreatitis. However, the high-calorie prescription food, being very high protein, could cause that. Everything else was okay.

They gave her subcutaneous fluids. She didn't think Ruby was extremely dehydrated, but she said even if they are a bit dehydrated, it can make them not want to eat.

She gave Ruby an injection of Cerenia, for nausea. We also have tablets of the same thing to start her on tomorrow.

She thinks Ruby may be getting a UTI, since I saw what looked like some sort of discharge in that area (on the bottom of her tail). So she'll be on ciprofloxacin for that. She checked Ruby's bladder, and thought it felt OK, so she is probably emptying it well.

In all, she said Ruby looked "a lot better than I expected her to".

Today, Ruby is trying to get up more on her own. We walked her outside when we brought her home, and she was actually moving pretty well, ON HER OWN--of course with us still using the slings. She again peed outside. :thumbs-up

Dr. B. said by this time next week we'll have a better idea of whether or not she might be able to reach the point of getting around on her own. That has to be my criteria--she has to be able to do that. And of course, to give her the best shot at that, she's got to start eating!! She weighed 61 pounds in January....today she was 52.4. :(

well, it seems like the new stuff can be treated, so that's good. hopefully she will be feeling better and eating soon.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sounds like you have an excellent vet. Continued prayers for your girlie!

We do have a great vet. She's wonderful. The tech who gave her the fluids, who is relatively new to the practice, told us that Dr. B. is "the best vet I've ever worked with." To top it off, she studied at OSU, with Dr. C., so she's extremely greyhound-savvy. AND she is great at explaining things thoroughly.

My Kasey is on prednisone for his allergies. The "sideffect" is increased appetite - although he's always exhibited the opposite of this effect - not much of an appetite. Maybe that is a greyhound thing and might explain further why she isn't mowing stuff down. We are all thinking of you guys, thank you for your updates.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Can anyone help me figure out why Ruby will willingly eat some things--graham crackers, milk bones---but will NOT eat canned dog food (or cat food, or tuna fish) on her own? I KNOW she *can* eat--heck, she can chew up a milk bone!!--but to get 'real' food into her, we have to syringe-feed....this is getting really frustrating.

She could have some nausea - and anything 'stinky' might seem unappealing. Have you tried Ensure? It was the only thing Princess would take when she was feeling bad.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Possibly she is feeling nauseous or has an acid stomach? Is she still on the Cerenia?

Perhaps she needs something a little different. I just looked it up and 'anorexia' and 'inappetance' are listed as possible side effects. Might be relevant, might not .. but in one study that they did the only dogs who showed inappetance were those on Cerenia - none in the control group were affected. It was a small number of dogs, but still, since she's a senior and fragile I'd be inclined to ask if she can try something else for her stomach.

Cerenia

If you click on 'full prescribing information' you can find the details in a pdf.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Yes, she's still on Cerenia, as well as ciprofloxicin.

I keep wondering how much is too much....if you know what I mean. She is not a young dog.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Yes, she's still on Cerenia, as well as ciprofloxicin.

I would suspect the antibiotic is upsetting her stomach. BTW - when I had nausea from chemo, anything with a strong odor made my stomach turn. Even the flowers someone sent. When Morgan wouldn't eat, I finally found deli roast beef worked. I then got him to the point where I could get him started with roast beef and then he would eat his food.

Not sure it's the antibiotic, as she wasn't eating BEFORE being on the antibiotic. We've given her the antibiotic yesterday and today, and we got some food into her (syringe) along with the pill.

Personally, I'd feed her whatever she wanted. All the best food in the world won't help if she won't eat it.

Have you tried making slice & bake dog cookies from her canned food? Quite a few of us with renal failure dogs found that the same prescription food our dogs turned their noses up at straight from the can miraculously became a yummy treat if baked & served like a cookie. Go figure. Give it a try. You've nothing to lose but the cost of one can of food.

Another idea is to try giving her a Tums, Tagamet, Zantac or Pepcid 10 min to an hour before a meal. It may settle an acid stomach caused by her prior lack of eating.

Guest ss556

Melissa, maybe after taking the antibiotics for a while is now upsetting her tummy. I agree with the above to feed her whatever she will eat. Hoping and praying for the best.