Riley

RileysLegacy

I am scared to start this thread, because it seems like nothing I can say would do my boy justice. In the 8 years we were together we had so many adventures, lived in 4 different states, 9 different homes, traveled up and down the east coast, went to Dewey Beach twice, and flew half way across the world so he could be a Hawaiian hound . I was only 19 when I adopted him, and we grew up together. When he was with me, I felt safe, and so proud to be his mom.

Everyone loved Riley, no matter where we went. He was so great with kids, he used to come to school when my ex-bf and I were teaching. He was so gentle and so sweet, and he had so much personality. He loved to sing "happy birthday" and another song I made up. He would chatter when he was happy, and do the air-snap when he was extra excited, and he would lean on you so hard he would literally fall if you moved. He was pretty independent, but when he wanted attention he would come over and bury his head in my lap, and he was not afraid to let me know when he wanted something. He was the softest greyhound I ever felt, everyone commented on how soft he was.

I know I am lucky that he lived a pretty long (he was 11) and definitely a happy life, but I miss him so much. It's been 2 days since I've seen him, and I'm so scared that as time passes I will start to forget the little things about him. Like where his spots were, how he smelled, or the face he would make when I gave him something to eat he didn't like, like a french fry without ketchup. He only liked them with ketchup.

The house is so empty without him, everywhere I look I can picture him there. I keep expecting to hear him breathing or see him get up from his bed. It feels so strange and empty with only the 2 iggies here. Riley was such an amazing big brother to them, and they adored him, especially little Jabari. We were a family, and now part of us is missing.

I can't bring myself to look through old pictures of him yet. I hope you guys don't mind if I post some of them in the coming weeks. For now, here are a few I already have online. I am definitely biased, but I think he was one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen. I still can't believe that I was lucky enough to get to share my life with him.

Riley (Sparkplug Scott), 3/12/99 - 4/15/10

4thbday.jpg

Outside.jpg

redcollarears1.jpg

GRL3029MOVEMOVEMOVE2.jpg

rileyschool4.jpg

boysbeach1noleashes-3.jpg

RileyKissThis2.jpg

riley1.jpg

merybeach.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry for your loss Lucy. Don't worry, you'll never forget all those little things, they are with you forever, just as Riley is. I know how hard it is, I've been there. My heart goes out to you, just remember he is always with you. Godspeed sweet Riley.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Riley. :angelwings I always love looking at pics of he - he is really beautiful - those big stickem up ears! :wub: Don't worry you'll never forget the little things about Riley - he will always be with you. :beatheart

Godspeed Riley, run a few painfree laps :gh_run with my Angels Tasha, Dundee, Buster...give them a big kiss for me. Send your mom a sign that you're ok and watching over her. :f_red

Edited by DundeeToddsMom

I'm so sorry for your loss. You weren't biased - Riley was a truly beautiful boy - it always showed through his pictures & your words.

Godspeed Riley! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest VaGreymom

I am sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. He is one of the first hounds I read about when I first came to GT. He will always be in your heart. It is the most difficult time when you loose one. Prayers and many hugs for you.

Run Free Riley.

:wub: Riley-moo! :wub:

Lucy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Riley was a GT favorite for so many of us. So handsome, and dashing...so sweet and gentle. My heart aches for you and your little guys :grouphug

I love the pic of him running - he seemed to be such a gentle soul, and quiet...nice to see him busting loose :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Lucy, Dewey Beach 2004 was my all time favorite Dewey of the 7 trips I have made there. It was the year I got to meet you and Riley. What a clown your sweet boy was ! That memory is one of my most enduring memories of all the many people and hounds I have met over the years.

Thank you and Riley for it. I will never forget you or your boy. :grouphug

Rest well Riley. You had a life well lived and well loved. We miss you terribly. :gh_run

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Lucy, I am so very very sorry we are traveling this journey together. Knowing the emptiness, and the peace that Riley, Nike and Zeus are running pain free at the bridge. :bighug to you.

Read the tributes we write to your handsome Riley, find peace in your heart that he was so loved and feel so very special that you were entrusted to share his journey.

Run with the angels sweet Riley, you are with the very very best ~

Oh, Lucy, don't be afraid that you couldn't do him justice! You have written a lovely, sensitive tribute to a dog who was just as beautiful inside as he was outside.

Your love for him, and his for you, shines through in every word, and we can feel and understand your pain and deep sense of loss. That loss is still too fresh and too enormous for you to feel any other way. When a person and a dog share such a history, it feels as if a very basic foundation has been pulled out from under you. In a way, Riley was even more than a beloved companion, he was your HOME, your constant in the face of so many changes. Though it is a shared sadness because we do understand, it is also a very personal and unique grief that you must process in whatever way you need to. I don't think that emptiness ever truly disappears, but the spaces, in time, are filled with memories so precious that they will always be a comfort.

Please know that so many are sharing your sadness. And looking at his wonderful pictures with smiles and tears.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Riley.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest ss556

I am so sorry for your loss. You won't forget him, ever. Yes, he was stunning! You were both lucky to have each other. Hugs to you. Run free sweet Riley. f_yellow

The little things will stay with you, don't worry about that. I hope you will post more pictures as time goes by. He was uniquely handsome, and his bond with you and the small pups -- heartwarming.

I'm so very sorry he had to leave you.

Riley, may the sun always shine for you and may all the french fries have ketchup, forever and ever. Rest well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyt2love

Lucy, I am so sorry for your loss. Riley was indeed a stunning boy, and I would be happy to see more pictures of him anytime ! So much of your life was shared with him, no need to worry that you will forget anything important about him. It will stay with you in his special place in your heart where he stays with you forever.

Run free, handsome Riley !

Edited by greyt2love

I'm so sorry for your loss. Riley was truly a very beautiful boy. I love those pictures of him. His essence just seems to shine right thru the pictures --- he looks truly outstanding. Oh, how you'll miss him, I can understand. But, just like Miss Pat (of PhillyPups) put it, "you should feel so very special that you were entrusted to share his journey."

That is so true. He wouldn't have been "him" without you; and you wouldn't be "you" with him.

:grouphug:grouphug to you. f_yellowf_yellow

Barb, and the Girls

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Lucy, Riley has been a favorite of mine since I joined Greytalk. Riley was such a fixture here; I can't imagine this place now without him around. I am sorry I never got a chance to meet you and your handsome boy but I feel like I knew him through all of your gorgeous photos. I was always impressed with how tolerant he was of his little brothers; but grateful because it sure did make for some great photo ops.

We never get enough time with them, but I am glad for you that you had the time you did and were able to make so many wonderful memories with Riley. In time, I hope your tears will be replaced with smiles as you remember the great times you had with your beautiful boy. Hugs.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Even though I knew what was coming, seeing Riley's name in remembrance was like a punch in the stomach. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss Lucy. Riley was a very special boy who etched himself deeply into your heart. You'll never lose that connection with him.

I am so very sorry... :grouphug :grouphug

I am so very sorry for the loss of your special boy Riley. We will all miss him very much. Thank you for sharing his photos, and your memories with us.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Lucy, I am so very sorry. I remember meeting you and Riley at Dewey and thinking that he was even more beautiful in person than he was in pictures. He was so special and his photos with Jabari are amongst my all time favourites. I'm sure Loca met him at the bridge with lots of love, so he'll be safe and happy. We'll all miss him.

flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Riley blush.gif What a stunning, gorgeous hound. Lucy, I am so sorry. I have said this before, someone once told me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us when they are not. It has helped me tremendously, and I hope you can find some comfort there, too. You will remember everything, and if something does slips by, someday it will come back and you will tear up at the same time that you smile. It's amazing. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.