Ibd - Happy Starving!

Xan

Guest Energy11
Not doing well today. Her IV catheter needs to be replaced

<time passes>

<4 1/2 hours later>

She's now resting with her IV pouring fluids and B12 into her. She hasn't voluntarily eaten a thing today, puked some BRIGHT orange bile (maybe 2 tablespoons - she's empty!), though I managed to pipe about 1/3 cup of pureed turkey and sweet potato (and nutritional yeast and slippery elm) into her to pad the budesonide. This is one of those bad days.

She's lost weight again. Now at 50 lbs.

:(

I find my own mood is completely under her control. If she eats, I'm giddy! If she doesn't, I'm blue blue blue. :(

Energy11, our bill is about $1800 right now. No more lab tests 'til we can pay it down. Thank goodness I'll be getting some money soon from card sales as well as the portrait marathon. :):clap

Wow, you two HAVE been through a lot! I understand how you are feeling. When Curfew was sick for a while, and no one knew what he had/still don't, but I am pretty sure it was all due to hypertension (high blood pressure). He is well now. I am glad you will be getting some $$$ soon for your vet bill :-)) Just want you to know, you and Happy are always in our thoughts! Love and huge hugs! Dee and the McKimmey Five Hounds

The ONLY way to handle chronic illness, whether it be canine, feline or human, is one day at a time. I lost a husband to cancer, and I did all his care, so I know from this, too. God Bless you!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't we coming up on her "I want to eat" window? I hope she eats for you this evening.

Come on, Sweetie...eat up.

She probably can't have Ensure either, can she? I used to make cereal for Sutra - plain oatmeal, kibble, and vanilla Ensure.

Oatmeal + Cottage cheese was enjoyed quite often as well.

Maybe just try some plain oatmeal? :dunno It doesn't smell very exciting, but, you could add some maple syrup to it or something. Actually one time I ran out of plain oatmeal and instead gave Sutra some Quaker Cinnamon Bun oatmeal...he enjoyed that :lol

This is so hard! Xan, if you have a moment, will you post here things that you know for sure she SHOULD NOT eat?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

She's passed out over there for the minute, but I have to get everyone fed, so I'll be brief. :lol DH would love that. Xan - brief! It is to laugh! :rofl

Anyway!

Thanks, as always! The support feels so good on my worried heart. :)

What foods I know she can't eat:

venison

chicken

What foods I'm staying away from to be safe:

all grains and seeds

soy

Pogo says, he'll eat it all. Now. Please. Really. NOW.

:lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

So, is dairy okay? If it is...cottage cheese all the way. Sutra loves it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Oh, I think I've been told avoid dairy, too. :P DH says he read somewhere (haven't checked this) that it takes more energy to break down cottage cheese than you get from it: net loss. Hard to believe, but not helpful if true. *shrugging* May have to look that up. We're running out of options altogether. A friend convinced me to try something crazy. She suggested bbq baby back ribs. DH managed to find some pulled pork at the grocery. She actually took the piece from my hand, but just dropped it, and wouldn't be compelled to approach it again.

Not good. She's totally rejected all food, all day today. I've managed to squeeze about 1/2c into her from a turkey baster, but ... she's hating it. Not liking life. :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

What does the vet have to say about her not eating? Does he have any ideas about cause or solution? Even a temporary stop-gap measure? (Tell him the check is in the mail but you need him now! :POed ) Seriously, I think he should step the heck up. And if a tech gives you tude, ignore it and remember the luv of your GT friends and Happy instead. :beatheart

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh Xan - my heart breaks for you and happy. It is so hard when your pups aren't feeling well and there isn't much you can do to help them.

That is a really restricted list! I wouldn't want to eat much either with those limits.. how difficult!

I tried to think of stuff not on the list (not sure if you've fed it already or not) and pretty much just came up with meats and fruits. Have you tried banana lately? Don't forget you could warm it too - might be slightly more tempting that way?

How about other fruits.. pears, peaches, etc..?

{{hugs to you both}}

FL

Aw, drat, Xan, was hoping to come back and read she was eating everything in sight ..... Sending hugs and scritchies and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How about sliced or cubed cheese? I know it's dairy but what the heck at this point.

My question to your vet would be: if her blood work is good, if she's vomiting a little, if she doesn't have diarrhea, why is she not eating? All I can think of is pain in the mouth and the throat or a stomach problem -- any upper GI problem IOW. Does anyone else have an idea Xan can present to the vet and see if she can get anything a little more specific out of him? The infection theory doesn't seem to be the crux of it if she's been on the proper abx for a while and is still not showing improvement.

I know finances are tight but a couple of well-placed xrays can show some kinds of tumors. If they did you'd know for sure what to do immediately.

She had started eating and gaining a couple days ago. Has anything been added or taken away from her after those good days that might have made her stop eating?

Just grasping at straws. I just want to reach out cross-country and :kickbutt the vet into doing/saying something definitive.

I know my own doggies are in tune with and respond to my attitude and feelings. Try to stay positive for Happy if you can, She will feel it, and hopefully respond to that! :grouphug

come on Happy, feel the love we are sending you!!! Please eat!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

So, I gather you're feeling my frustration and anxiety with me!

I'm grasping at straws, too. I know my vet is really busy, I get that. But, really not getting much from him about this. Today may be the day.

Yup, I've tried fruits. She ate a couple bits of apple the other day, and that got me to do the applesauce and kibble frozen, which worked off and on for a few days. She won't look at it now.

What could have changed? I'm beginning to think she's just shutting down. It's been a bit bumpy, but I think her body is just quitting, whatever is going on in there to make that happen. This morning, after a long night, I'm considering what day to let her go. Drag her through 'til after Thanksgiving, or let her go today.

Okay, can't see anymore. :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest Energy11

Yes, it does sound like she is shutting down. I have seen this in human patients, as well. Our GH Max, stopped eating on a Friday. He had OS. We sent him to The Bridge on Monday, but he was still drinking and taking chicken brooth and diluted Gatorade, over the weekend.

You have to follow your heart. You know Happy, far, far better than any of us do. You do what you think is best, and we will ALL be her for you! No matter, no one could say you haven't tried, tried, and tried some more!

Sending you love, prayers, caring and compassion! Dee and The Five.

:(

I hope you're wrong, but I understand. :grouphug

I've lost track: is she still on antibiotics? Is it time to stop and see if she'll eat? Did you try an appetite stimulant?

Grasping at straws here...

Sending "Happy, Please Eat" messages.

Whatever you decide :grouphug.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mcsheltie

Has the vet suggested a stomach tube? It can go in from the esophagus (easy to insert at the vet) or directly into the stomach. You can then syringe in all the A/D and fluids you need to.

When they stop eating, even if it a minor thing that is causing it, after a while it does snow ball and major problems start.

No advice, but good thoughts coming your way. To do what is best for Happy and not necessarily the best for you - what a difficult decision, but obviously will be made with love and all information available.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

....I know this may sound VERY simplistic...but I suffered from IBS for years and was literally starving myself to death...every thing I ate made my stomach hurt so I just stopped eating...I was down to 95lbs after my first child...people thought I was anorexic...or crazy...or vain....not so!

I finally found a book...it's an old book...updated by some folks at Yale University about 10 yrs ago...called Let's Get well by Adele davis...it was at a time when my Doc wanted to pump me full of meds...I read the book and cured myself with B vitamins...You really use them up fast in times of stress and illness...especially prolonged illness...funny thing is that they must be balanced...giving B12 alone can throw off others...you can't digest and absorb nutrients without B vitamins

If it were me...I don't think it could hurt to give a B Complex twice a day...50 mg...and cut out the B12 shots

...AND I would stop all the food and try ...Infant Rice cereal mixed with warm LOW SODIUM chicken broth...mixed to oatmeal like consistency and fed to her by fingers...it's the first food given to babies as it is the least objectionable to the digestive track...she might not like it at first but if she learns her tummy doesn't hurt she maybe more likely to eat again...I would do that for at least a week...then start adding the lamb tripe again as it's richin vitamins

it may be the end...only you can decide...

Sending you a :bighug

Again sorry if this sounds too simplistic...just my own experience

...Oh...and I think Gatorade is a good thing to use too!

If she's getting worse rather than better, I would stop all meds and supplements other than the antibiotic and one thing (preferably pepcid*) to cushion her stomach from that, and see what happens.

* one regular strength, 2-3 times per day. Pepcid because it's one that doesn't have an adverse effect on stomach operation, and it generally doesn't interact with other meds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

....I know this may sound VERY simplistic...but I suffered from IBS Sending you a :bighug

IBD abd IBS are 2 totally different things. Not at all related. I don't know if you really meant IBD when you typed IBS. IN the beginning of Beau's journey, I did not know the difference.

Hugs to you Ian. This sucks and I do understand.

Xan- have you consulted a board certified internal medicine Doc? They specialize in this.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

....I know this may sound VERY simplistic...but I suffered from IBS Sending you a :bighug

IBD abd IBS are 2 totally different things. Not at all related. I don't know if you really meant IBD when you typed IBS. IN the beginning of Beau's journey, I did not know the difference.

Xan- have you consulted a board certified internal medicine Doc? They specialize in this.

Thanks..I didn't know....I'll have to do some research!

Just grasping at straws...and sending lots of hugs...

Thanks..I didn't know....I'll have to do some research!

Just grasping at straws...and sending lots of hugs...

Dawn- this is greyt and easy reading. I have this in favorites for when I was researching for Beau.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_infla...y-Bowel-Disease

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ah Xan my heart is heavy. I think it's okay for you to listen to yours and to Happy and then you know we'll support you in whatever you need to do from there. Fight on or let go. I know how hard it is to see clearly when you are battling so hard and love so deeply. I can't offer any advice because I don't know anything about this disease and I'm not living with Happy. Just know that we know whatever you choose will be right because you do know her best and love her so much.

edited because it sounded like I was suggesting you give up.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

My heart, too, is heavy. You have to listen to her, obviously. I just keep thinking of my long journey with Sutra and how he came back from the brink and I wish, hope, and pray that the same would be true for Happy.

Is she still able to move around? Will she still go out for potty? How is her demeanor? Those factors are what made me decide that Sutra wasn't done fighting yet. Once I *FINALLY* got him eating regularly again, the progress was slow, but, every day seemed a little bit better.

Maybe try the infant rice cereal? Sounds like it'd be easy on the tummy, or, just some plain oatmeal.