Ibd - Happy Starving!

Xan

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a tip drummed into me by a nurse anesthetist friend of mine who has a very scientific, measured approach to medicine. It's worked wonders for her own greyhounds and has helped mine too. She always reminds me of this: "Whatever you do, when you add or take away meds and supplements, do it one at a time and not every day. If you make even just two changes at the same time, you won't know which change affected them positively or negatively." It's hard to do!

Happy's eating and drinking, so if she were mine I wouldn't change a thing right now! :D I kind of disagree that all the meds are making her worse after hearing that's she's eaten as much as our healthy girl greyhound eats. She hardly ever drinks either, BTW.

The xray on Friday will tell you lots! PS. If you decide to go to another vet for a second opionion, you'll need copies of blood work so you might as well get them on Friday. If you ask for them the second you walk in, they'll have time to make copies to hand you when you leave. ;)

lexie has been on the tylan powder over a year 1/2-1 tsp with each meal (twice a day) When i try to take her off it her colitis acts up. I also use dried beet pulp with her food which someone on here mentioned. Will she eat salmon?I don't know if that is good for greys but mine sure seems to love it. I just give her a cooked piece once in awhile. Maybe mix some with kibble to get her to eat? Prayers for u at success.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Xan, my eyes watered with happiness as I read your update...I imagine you had the inkling to do a great big happy dance! What a good girl! Fingers crossed that her appetite continues to be that good! :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Called the vet. He's sick and out of the office, but good ol' Elsa said she'd call him at home to ask about the naltrexone (and the other things I asked, but she didn't bother with that - oh well). He said, yes, go ahead, since I have it (THANKS ahicks! :kiss2), and agreed that an xray on Friday is the thing to do. So, we have an appointment, and it looks like she'll live to see it.

:D

What's the naltrexone for? I musta missed somethin'.

SO happy she's eating! Keep us posted. It's hard not to worry about you girls.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest lynne893

I do not mean to scare you or overreact myself, but our beloved Timber had the same symptoms for quite some time, and it turns out she had alimentory lymphoma (lymphoma of the GI tract).

Has Happy had an ultrasound done of her abdomen? That's what diagnosed our poor Timber, who only had a month to live :(

I am sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I just worry about other greys going through what we went through and I wanted to put it out there to you to talk to your vet about it.

Hugs, and good wishes.

Lynne

Xan, My vet did a blood count, and an ultrasound. When he saw the mass, he aspirated it, all that came out was blood & pus. His WBC was 90,000 vs 10,000 which showed there was an "absess, infection or cancer". (I'm looking at my daytimer) His fever was 103. At one point the WBC got up to 100,000. The day before his surgery to remove the tumor, he was depressed, wouldn't eat, running a fever & his stomach was enlarged.

The tumor was attached to his liver.

Wow. Well, he didn't mention such high WBC. I'm sure he would have, since we both mentioned the possibility of cancer. Not conclusive, of course, and I guess we'll find out more on Friday.

Wow, pulled pork, huh??

I love the stuff! :-))

Hope this is a break for you guys, and Happy continues eating! If she is drinking, I'd add the Gatorade 50%/H2O 50%. Good Luck and lots of love!

Okay, here's the good news: She has eaten a total of 4 cups of food today, by my estimation. She ate ... A POUND AND A HALF of pork (some pulled, then some "natural" deli slices). Yowza!

Here's a tip drummed into me by a nurse anesthetist friend of mine who has a very scientific, measured approach to medicine. It's worked wonders for her own greyhounds and has helped mine too. She always reminds me of this: "Whatever you do, when you add or take away meds and supplements, do it one at a time and not every day. If you make even just two changes at the same time, you won't know which change affected them positively or negatively." It's hard to do!

Happy's eating and drinking, so if she were mine I wouldn't change a thing right now! :D I kind of disagree that all the meds are making her worse after hearing that's she's eaten as much as our healthy girl greyhound eats. She hardly ever drinks either, BTW.

The xray on Friday will tell you lots! PS. If you decide to go to another vet for a second opionion, you'll need copies of blood work so you might as well get them on Friday. If you ask for them the second you walk in, they'll have time to make copies to hand you when you leave. ;)

Good idea.

Yes, the scattershot approach we've taken is blurring the picture, but maybe it's everything together helping. For now.

As DH says, it's no time yet to go over the moon. She's been bumping along for awhile, up and down. I am philosophical, and yet I have hope. We'll see what we see.

lexie has been on the tylan powder over a year 1/2-1 tsp with each meal (twice a day) When i try to take her off it her colitis acts up. I also use dried beet pulp with her food which someone on here mentioned. Will she eat salmon?I don't know if that is good for greys but mine sure seems to love it. I just give her a cooked piece once in awhile. Maybe mix some with kibble to get her to eat? Prayers for u at success.

Wow! I've only been giving 1/2t with meals! That seems like a lot. But if it works, then it works! Glad to know you've gotten your girl's colitis mostly under control.

Xan, my eyes watered with happiness as I read your update...I imagine you had the inkling to do a great big happy dance! What a good girl! Fingers crossed that her appetite continues to be that good! :goodluck

:bighug

Naltrexone in low doses seems to help to support immune function, and helps with IBD, but they're not sure how it works. At least, I don't know enough of the lingo to make sense of it. :P

I'm actually going to hold off on it, just now. Like Marcia said, things are going good right now. Let's not fix what isn't broken. We hope. For now. It's ready at any time I change my mind.

Now, let's hope I can find a store to sell me more pork tomorrow!

Pogo is howling. I'm not supposed to be out here after he's been tucked in bed! :wub:

Nighty night, all.

Lynne (missed your post!), I guess we'll find that out on Friday. I'm so sorry about your Timber. :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:nod Good to not add more right now...sounds like you might have the right combo!

Did you note what time of day it was when she was so happy to eat? Maybe also make note of if she'd been doing anything directly before (had she just had a nice poop? Maybe a small romp in the yard? etc...).

Oh, Mr. Pogo, your ma is coming to bed now! (I pulled out a green fleece blankie here last night and it reminded me of the "P" embroidered blanket we sent for Pogo back when he was still "Puppy" :wub:)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am thankful that we are all here to wish Xan, Happy and her family a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that today brings another improvement, no matter how small, in Happy's condition. Sending healing white light and prayers and hugs of comfort.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am thankful that we are all here to wish Xan, Happy and her family a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that today brings another improvement, no matter how small, in Happy's condition. Sending healing white light and prayers and hugs of comfort.

Same here!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Wonderful to hear Happy is eating! I will continue to send out all manners of good thoughts for your sweet girl. :candle:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Same here!

Ditto here as well!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:nod Good to not add more right now...sounds like you might have the right combo!

Did you note what time of day it was when she was so happy to eat? Maybe also make note of if she'd been doing anything directly before (had she just had a nice poop? Maybe a small romp in the yard? etc...).

Oh, Mr. Pogo, your ma is coming to bed now! (I pulled out a green fleece blankie here last night and it reminded me of the "P" embroidered blanket we sent for Pogo back when he was still "Puppy" :wub: )

I've been keeping a record of everything for the last week and a half or so. I can't make heads or tails of it, really. :blink:

This morning, not so enthusiastic, though she ate a little of the deli ham. She also drank on her own. Yeay! But, and this is downright amazing, she hasn't pooped since night before last! :huh

Still have all my fingers crossed we're going in generally the right direction, which will make baking this double layer vegan pumpkin cheesecake tricky, but whatcha gonna do? :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

When Beau was put on the pred in the very beginning, he would eat 4 pounds of fish a day and little to no poop because he was starting to absorb with was a wonderful thing. I hope the same thing is happeneing with Happy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks Robin. That's what I was hoping.

She did have D this evening. Really, how could she not?? So much pork and bbq sauce? Not nearly representative of how much she ate, but still D.

However, she also did not eat today. :( I hope tomorrow's xrays are revealing.

*sigh*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Naltrexone in low doses seems to help to support immune function, and helps with IBD, but they're not sure how it works. At least, I don't know enough of the lingo to make sense of it. :P

I'm actually going to hold off on it, just now. Like Marcia said, things are going good right now. Let's not fix what isn't broken. We hope. For now. It's ready at any time I change my mind.

Naltrexone is a bit of a stab in the dark; it's been around for decades as a drug used to manage opiate drug addiction. It blocks the "high" by logjamming the opiate receptors on cells.

For some reason, when used in very small doses (1/10th that used for managing opiate addiction), naltrexone has some odd effects on the immune system. For one, beta endorphin levels go up. For another, it seems to cause cells to create more opiate receptors on their surface.

The net upshot is that it has been used off-label for management of IBD in humans, as well as for a number of other autoimmune disorders including multiple sclerosis, ALS, lupus, etc. It has also shown some merit in combating cancer- probably one of the benefits of its immune-boosting properties.

On the bright side, it's safe, has virtually no side effects, and only one drug interaction: opiate painkillers (including Tramadol), which is a shame as it would be an ideal candidate with respect to management of osteo otherwise. On the down side, it takes a while for it to take hold, so it's a "long and slow" drug in terms of its benefits.

Very good to hear Xan is eating. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Naltrexone is a bit of a stab in the dark; it's been around for decades as a drug used to manage opiate drug addiction. It blocks the "high" by logjamming the opiate receptors on cells.

For some reason, when used in very small doses (1/10th that used for managing opiate addiction), naltrexone has some odd effects on the immune system. For one, beta endorphin levels go up. For another, it seems to cause cells to create more opiate receptors on their surface.

The net upshot is that it has been used off-label for management of IBD in humans, as well as for a number of other autoimmune disorders including multiple sclerosis, ALS, lupus, etc. It has also shown some merit in combating cancer- probably one of the benefits of its immune-boosting properties.

On the bright side, it's safe, has virtually no side effects, and only one drug interaction: opiate painkillers (including Tramadol), which is a shame as it would be an ideal candidate with respect to management of osteo otherwise. On the down side, it takes a while for it to take hold, so it's a "long and slow" drug in terms of its benefits.

Very good to hear Xan is eating. :)

Xan has no trouble eating (that would be me). ;) It's Happy I'm worried about.

Ahicks, the one side-effect you listed was some sleeplessness the first week. Why give it before bedtime, then? I wanted to pm you but your box was full.

I should have given her some last night, but the truth is, I forgot. :blink: I was sitting there watching her be uncomfortable, shifting around, running over everything I could offer her, had offered her, dosed her with, had left to dose her with ... and didn't even think of the naltrexone. I swear, my brain is mush. :(

It's been a long sad night, again. Poor Happy!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

:(

Sending more prayers and some hugs too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.