Ibd - Happy Starving!

Xan

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xan has no trouble eating (that would be me). ;) It's Happy I'm worried about.

Ahicks, the one side-effect you listed was some sleeplessness the first week. Why give it before bedtime, then? I wanted to pm you but your box was full.

Sorry; it's that foster, Xan, we had. Feh.

As for the timing- the body "resets" its endorphins early into sleep mode. The presence of naltrexone messes with that. From Lowdosenaltrexone.org:

"The brief blockade of opioid receptors between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. that is caused by taking LDN at bedtime each night is believed to produce a prolonged up-regulation of vital elements of the immune system by causing an increase in endorphin and enkephalin production. Normal volunteers who have taken LDN in this fashion have been found to have much higher levels of beta-endorphins circulating in their blood in the following days. Animal research by I. Zagon, PhD, and his colleagues has shown a marked increase in metenkephalin levels as well."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Thanks for the continued good thoughts, folks. It's 10 to noon, and I just finished doing my best vet tech impersonation for the morning rounds. She ate a few bites of pork, which is better than nothing. Enough to give her her pills on top of, anyway. I've got some goo food ready to be turkey bastered into her in awhile. She broke a record for slowest drip of 1000ml of fluids, with 2 ml B complex (duh: the bottle I have is not just B12, it's B complex, and I just didn't read it, because we'd all just been saying B12 all along), which I kept having to dink with, and rearrange her, and sit with her so she didn't curl up and slow the drip even more. Syringed in her slippery elm, glutamine, prebiotic mix earlier, with a probiotic cap for good measure.

She's still not a happy Happy. Depending on what we see this afternoon, we may just let her go while we're there. I can't make her go through this if there are no better days ahead. DH is coming with this time, in case.

Oops. I spoke too soon. She just vomited up that tiny bit of food, and, of course, her pills. :( I gave her a pepcid. We'll see how she does. I hate to pill her again, on a TRULY empty and unhappy stomach! :headwall

Ahicks, okay, now I sort of get it. Thanks. We'll start that tonight. Hopefully.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:candle Oh, Happy! I am so sorry you are still feeling poorly! :candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:(

Still hoping for the best.

C'mon Happy!

In any event :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Tonnes of prayers and white lights.

Be happy, Miss Happy. :grouphug:hope

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

...Waiting to hear how the vet visit went... :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Xan? You ok?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Let's hope it was a late appointment; it's late here in EST but it's "only" 7 PM PST and they may still be at the vet. I keep checking back here too though.

Edited by MZH

Starting to worry a little...:(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Oh, oops! Somehow I thought I updated. My brain is scrambled goo!

Nothing learned. The vet is still out sick, but she did get the xrays done, and sent home with more fluids for the weekend. I was hoping he might come in late and read them, but we didn't hear from him, so I guess they got sent to the radiology lab for a look from the pros.

Happy hasn't eaten again, today. I don't know how she is still walking around, or getting in and out of the car on her own. Seriously. She's just bones.

And this broke my heart. When the techs brought her back to me, she was *sob* bruised all down her boney back bone, and in one welt on her ribs. She was shaking a bit. When I noticed the bruises, and was fussing about them, they were understandably a little defensive, and I understand she's bony bony bony now, and they had to turn her on her back, and her skin is thin as wet tissue paper, but, don't try to tell me she might have had that bleeding bruise on her ribs when she came in. She did not. She's white. It would be hard to miss! This made me cry like a baby in the car. She's gone through so much, she's so miserable, I was ready to let her go today, and she comes back to me bruised, and in for another few days of needles, syringes, pills, and starvation. :(

I gave her some arnica when we got home, but she's going to be stiff tomorrow, I bet. That poor old girl!

Sorry to have kept you all on tenterhooks. It was another long evening of IVs, pills, refused food, and sadness for us here.

:(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:( I'm so sorry Xan...was hoping for better news...but hopefully the xrays will tell you something. It really stinks to wait though.

I hope she will eat something for you tomorrow :goodluck

Have you tried cottage cheese yet? Might be interesting to her - my dogs all go bonkers over it. Then again they love milk too :lol I just remembered when I was doing research for Sutra that meat of any kind can be difficult for a dog to digest, which is what led us to all the mooshy foods like mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, macaroni, oatmeal, baby food, etc. (Sutra REALLY liked the Disney brand baby food that was spaghetti and meatballs flavored!). I even put ranch dressing on his mashed potatoes one day when I didn't have anything else to add to them (I needed to go to the store but hadn't made it there yet).

Just thought I'd throw that out there since, at this point, I think getting ANYTHING into her has got to be better than nothing at all. Heck if she'd eat Mcdonalds fries or a burger I'd give it to her. :dunno

:grouphug