Ibd - Happy Starving!

Xan

:lol Marcia, I'm so tired of cooking, mixing, stirring, syringing, turkey bastering, pill stuffing, measuring ... We were going to have pizza tonight, but I can't even be bothered to put toppings on a pre-made dough.

You *make* pizza? I meant pizza from a good pizza parlor, preferably New Haven style! :chow I swear, that's what made our Tabba break her eating strike back in 1991. It had mushroom and a bit of garlic on it. She thought the crust was irresistible and that's what got her eating again.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

You are right! Whatever you can get into her should help. I like the Adult Cal idea. We sold a product similiar to that when I worked at the vet in Florida. It looks kind of like thick molasses, but is intended for getting calories into sick dogs and cats.

Good Luck to you both today! Sending lots of love!

Pizza parlors are a little thin around here. I have a dream ... A dream of vegan whole-wheat pizza, delivered to my door, with salad, and ... um ... coconut "ice cream", as long as we're at it! :lol

She ate a little more last night. No blow-outs this morning, so that's good. Not too dehydrated, so maybe I'll just give her a half bag of fluids. She ate a few more meat and molasses cookies this morning. They've got to hurt her little toothless gums! I crunched them up in a bag with a bottle so they're more like small kibble. They made her thirsty, so she drank a bit, too. Still won't look at anything more substantially nutritious, but I can always turkey baster that in her whether she likes it or not. ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:yay

Oh yes, pizza is exciting. So is spaghetti and/or fettuccine alfredo :)

Glad to hear her system seems to be handling that stuff. It's comfort food :)

Perhaps she would snack on some pretzels with you?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Pizza parlors are a little thin around here. I have a dream ... A dream of vegan whole-wheat pizza, delivered to my door, with salad, and ... um ... coconut "ice cream", as long as we're at it! :lol

She ate a little more last night. No blow-outs this morning, so that's good. Not too dehydrated, so maybe I'll just give her a half bag of fluids. She ate a few more meat and molasses cookies this morning. They've got to hurt her little toothless gums! I crunched them up in a bag with a bottle so they're more like small kibble. They made her thirsty, so she drank a bit, too. Still won't look at anything more substantially nutritious, but I can always turkey baster that in her whether she likes it or not. ;)

Glad she's eating some. That's encouraging! I'm sure you've tried everything under the sun. There's always Jack Mackerel and canned fish of that nature if you haven't tried that yet. Phew to me, but the dogs love it. There's always canned green tripe but I've heard it's *really* awful smelling but a big hit with the dogs.

As for pizza places, I know how hard it is to find places that know and understand real pizza. When we lived in the New Haven CT area, it was pizza heaven. We had a heck of a time finding it here in SC but we finally did. There's even a place that makes whole wheat vegetarian (I think the sauce is too) pizza. It's very good! They're called New York Pizza, of all things. :lol I've discovered that Lil Caesar's is actually quite good. Maybe you have one of them around. :)

Edited by MZH

It scares me to think of Happy eating tomato sauce... :unsure Spencer loved spaghetti but it never loved him, even before all his tummy troubles. But that idea of garlic on crust sounds promising to me! Maybe you could just make some as breadsticks?

Thanks for the good report, Xan. Hope you got some good rest and have a great day. You rock! :cool

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

It scares me to think of Happy eating tomato sauce... :unsure Spencer loved spaghetti but it never loved him, even before all his tummy troubles. But that idea of garlic on crust sounds promising to me! Maybe you could just make some as breadsticks?

Thanks for the good report, Xan. Hope you got some good rest and have a great day. You rock! :cool

Hmm, that's interesting...is it because of the amount of acidity in something like tomatoes?

Sutra didn't have tummy troubles, just pancreatic problems...he LOVED spaghetti sauce and never seemed to have an issue.

Xan, if you think she'll like them (and if you have the energy to concoct some more stuff!) you could make her some homemade biscuits...I can't remember the exact amounts, but, you take some flour (can use wheat flour if you like), milk, shredded cheddar cheese, and garlic. You mix it up into a dry dough, roll it out and cut it into shapes or whatever you want, and bake at like 250 until they're crispy. They smell like the biscuits you get at Red Lobster, but are just crunchy. Probably would be easy on her tummy while still smelling quite appetizing :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Glad she's eating some. That's encouraging! I'm sure you've tried everything under the sun. There's always Jack Mackerel and canned fish of that nature if you haven't tried that yet. Phew to me, but the dogs love it. There's always canned green tripe but I've heard it's *really* awful smelling but a big hit with the dogs.

As for pizza places, I know how hard it is to find places that know and understand real pizza. When we lived in the New Haven CT area, it was pizza heaven. We had a heck of a time finding it here in SC but we finally did. There's even a place that makes whole wheat vegetarian (I think the sauce is too) pizza. It's very good! They're called New York Pizza, of all things. :lol I've discovered that Lil Caesar's is actually quite good. Maybe you have one of them around. :)

Yup, tried mackerel yesterday and this morning. Nope. Tripe worked for a couple days, about a week ago. She won't look at it now, but I still add it to the goop I turkey baster into her.

I worry about tomato saucey things too, but she did eat that pulled pork for a couple days. She's had D or nearly-D since, I might add. Including this morning. The biscuits she ate don't seem to have done her any real good. :( Still, she ate some, and they made her thirsty so she drank some. She keeps greeting me with a wagging tail, despite all the manhandling (though she makes a pretty concerted effort to leave the scene if it looks like I've got a syringe or the turkey baster in hand! :rolleyes: )

I had hoped we might hear from the radiologist or the vet last night, but it seems we'll just have to wait it out 'til tomorrow.

L'il Caesar's? Really? I think we have one of those nearby, actually. Hm!

I've been thinking about making biscuits myself. Maybe I can get more food value in them. But, then she might not eat them! :P Well, as I've said, the other dogs are benefitting mightily from Happy's leftovers!

TMI alert! I guess I've been a little tiny bit stressed out, and given myself a sympathy UTI. :P Home remedies aren't working, and I spent the night on the couch when I wasn't running to the bathroom or getting more to drink. (You know, Law and Order just goes on all night! That show is at least 20 years old! Amazing. :P )

C'mon, universal health insurance!! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Got any antibiotics hanging around for *your* UTI? Oy!

Yes, the Lil Caesar in town here is darned good, and that's a lot coming from a pizza aficionado. :D

FYI, when I have D and eat pizza it gets better. I guess the cheese is constipating. One GI doc was horrified when I told him that. But geez, nothing he was telling me to do worked. There is no one-size-fits-all remedy for anything. They also told me I had acid reflux and tomatoes aren't good for me. Not so for me. I took antacids and they made me awfully sick. Medicine is an art as well as a science, so if she eats anything with tomato, it may not bother her after all.

What I know will work for most cases D is cream of rice. Even a tablespoon will firm up the worst D in most greyhounds. I haven't tried it on myself. Never occurred to me until now. Sheesh!

Did you stop the budesonide? If not, is she getting enough?

Oh yeah Xan, just get her some Little Caesar's cheese pizza. Actually, many of the Little Caesar's here have them "hot n ready"...they keep making them throughout the day so you can just walk in and buy one!

Sounds like carbs are going to be your friend.

If you want I can see if I can find the exact recipe for those biscuits...if she likes crunchy stuff and garlic is interesting to her, she'd most likely like those biscuits.

I haven't stopped the budesonide (in fact, it's time for her pill). I don't know if she's getting enough! *waaah!* I'm not a vet! I'm beginning to think it would be cheaper to get my degree than to just pay someone else for all my pets, though. :P

Kristin, I went on a little search for biscuit recipes. I think I have the basics in my head now. I tried some parmesan cheese (all we had on hand) to see if she liked it, and she politely licked it up. Not enthusiastically, but she did take it. Maybe I can try making some with parm in it. Or maybe just sprinkle it on other stuff (easier!)

Cream of rice, huh? Well, why not? I have used a slurry of raw flour (mixed with just enough cinnamon and sugar and water to make it swallowable) for D in humans, and that works a charm. I'd worry about doing that to Happy, though. She is getting slippery elm twice a day. If it's helping, I'd hate to see her without it!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

We used to call Parmesan cheese sucker food. It suckered them into eating what they turned their noses up at if we didn't sprinkle it on the top. :P

"Sucker food"! :lol

Heh, carronstar! :P I was reading about (yet more) home remedies the other day, and that one came up. Of course it sounds better than it actually works! (The alcohol, along with any sugars, feeds the bacteria, and lowers the immune system.) :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Looking forward to today's Happy news. :)

I haven't stopped the budesonide (in fact, it's time for her pill). I don't know if she's getting enough! *waaah!* I'm not a vet! I'm beginning to think it would be cheaper to get my degree than to just pay someone else for all my pets, though.

I'm pretty sure 3 mg is more than enough. At her weight I'd be more comfortable if she were getting 2, which is what my 80-lb guy gets. Btw, do you give it with food/sludge?

Right there with you on that vet degree! :lol

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Back from the vet.

Friday, she had xrays, which were sent to be interpreted by a lab. Today we went in to hear all about it, and to do sonogram if indicated (yes). In the end, she also had needle biopsies of her liver (abnormally small and dense) and spleen (enlarged). Dr. S also considered the possibilities of heartworm (nothing seen on sonogram, and agreed that treatment could kill her in any case), and TBDs. In fact, he liked that idea so much, he was thinking we should switch her to doxy, and skip the biopsy for today. I said, hey, we're here, the sonogram is ready (helps to guide the needle), let's do the biopsies so we can rule that stuff out more definitively (cancers of various kinds, basically), and start her on doxy after we get results as indicated tomorrow. He agreed, and that's the story in a nutshell.

Slightly more detail: If she were going to be cured by the cipro she's been on for nearly two weeks, she'd be better by now, he says. Vet tech said her urine is still dark (though ... I don't see it - looks about the same as the other dogs' to me, just watching the stream anyway). Spleen might just be enlarged as a response to infection, he said, since it functions as a part of the immune system, like lymph nodes. Or it's cancerous. Liver is small, maybe because of continual insult over years of IBD. We do have xrays from a year ago to compare it to, though. I hope he has time to do that.

Right on schedule, she seems to be done with dog cookies. About a day and a half is all she wants any one thing, it seems. After that, she will not consider it. I offered her (with a rueful shrug) the Kirkland chicken kibble the other dogs eat, and she ate about 1/4 cup of that when we got home. Maybe she'll eat that for a day or so. At least it's more nutritious than cookies! If the chicken doesn't irritate her too much.

TMI alert! Didn't have time to get to a clinic, so I'm still chugging cranberry and apple cider vinegar. Mmm! That's bracing!! :lol

Oh, and Mary, your point about the budesonide dose is well-taken. I think the dose she's on now is 2.5, though. But still. Yes, I try to give all her pills with some kind of something in her stomach.

Weight: 48.7 lbs. :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

:(

I hope you get some answers. Some helpful answers. Fast.

Something has to make her feel better soon. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest eaglflyt

Xan, I'm hoping you get some answers about your girl and that her appetite picks up. Also, please go get some treatment for your UTI before you end up in the ER with a raging kidney infection ... no fun at all! Prayers for you and your girl.

Shelly in OK

At this point I'll bet it would just be a relief to get some kind of definitive diagnosis, good or bad. Then at least you can start looking at options and making decisions. This guessing and hoping and flailing around blind stuff has got to be thoroughly exhausting!

Xan, to cheer you up here's a little funny I saw on Failblog (I would think this is your little town of Custer, what with suspicious Canucks wandering about and all)... :lol

epic-fail-suspicious-fail.jpg

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest Energy11

Hopefully, all of these tests will show SOMETHING, so you have something to go by.

In the meantime, I am sure you know, you are doing all you can for her.

Hope you feel better, too. Many hugs, and many prayers!

Glad you've got some tests to work with. Sorry they didn't biopsy the intestines too while they were at it. Did they look at the intestines with the sonogram? With IBD one would expect structural changes there. But, hey, info on the liver and spleen is needed, so it's great they're getting it.

You made me proud, the way you met the vet's suggestions. Grounded, centered, calm, and not signing off on any premature moves.

And vinegar?! :blink: For me the cranberry juice is bad enough!

Hugs and hopes for continued munching!

So how long do you have to wait to hear anything about the biopsies?

Hope she will eat something for you. Sutra was the same way when we were having feeding issues...he'd eat something for a day or two and then decide he was over it. That was especially problematic for my pill giving attempts...he liked fruit roll ups for a few days, then he wouldn't take them, then velveeta, then he was over it...it's frustrating!

Xan, I'm hoping you get some answers about your girl and that her appetite picks up. Also, please go get some treatment for your UTI before you end up in the ER with a raging kidney infection ... no fun at all! Prayers for you and your girl.

Shelly in OK

Thanks, Shelly. The UTI is at bay, at least. I'm watching closely, though, believe me! *knock on wood*

At this point I'll bet it would just be a relief to get some kind of definitive diagnosis, good or bad. Then at least you can start looking at options and making decisions. This guessing and hoping and flailing around blind stuff has got to be thoroughly exhausting!

Xan, to cheer you up here's a little funny I saw on Failblog (I would think this is your little town of Custer, what with suspicious Canucks wandering about and all)... :lol

epic-fail-suspicious-fail.jpg

:rofl That's hysterical! Thanks for the laugh! :)

Glad you've got some tests to work with. Sorry they didn't biopsy the intestines too while they were at it. Did they look at the intestines with the sonogram? With IBD one would expect structural changes there. But, hey, info on the liver and spleen is needed, so it's great they're getting it.

You made me proud, the way you met the vet's suggestions. Grounded, centered, calm, and not signing off on any premature moves.

And vinegar?! :blink: For me the cranberry juice is bad enough!

Hugs and hopes for continued munching!

Augh! See, why didn't I think of that? To look at the intestines, and, as DH said this morning, her kidneys? I didn't even think of that. Maybe they showed up enough and were unremarkable. I'll ask when I talk to him next. I was calm in that sort of detached shocky way I'm getting along right now.

Apple cider vinegar is part of my daily routine since my last UTI, last winter. Helps with the seasonal blues, too. ;)

So how long do you have to wait to hear anything about the biopsies?

Hope she will eat something for you. Sutra was the same way when we were having feeding issues...he'd eat something for a day or two and then decide he was over it. That was especially problematic for my pill giving attempts...he liked fruit roll ups for a few days, then he wouldn't take them, then velveeta, then he was over it...it's frustrating!

Tonight, maybe. Or if the results come back too late, tomorrow morning.

Yes, the pill scheduling is a major headache. Today, I'm putting them off 'til she's done with a vit. B drip, in hopes it will spur her appetite a little bit. They all end up being later than I'd like, since they start so late most days, but at least she's getting them all each 24 hours.

However, even though nothing grew on the last urine culture (hers I'm talking about now! :P ), she's acting like she's still got a UTI. Concentrated, scant urine with some urgency.

:(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

No. I asked about it awhile back, and for some reason, he wanted to hold off on it. He also felt I shouldn't be forcing any food on her (like by turkey baster/syringe), but she'd be dead by now I think if I hadn't. Or closer. I also asked about an appetite stimulant that someone mentioned, but never did get an answer on that either.

<_<

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg