Ibd - Happy Starving!

Xan

Guest eaglflyt
The cost of a Snap 4 is about the same as a Superchem blood test here in SC. I asked about that last year and that's what the vet told me. It could be about $100 but it has to depend on the vet and your location. He ought to donate that one to you.

WOW! In our area a SNAP4 is about $20 - $28!!!

$100 seems kinda outrageous to me. :jaw:yikes

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, there are vets all over the place out here. I called around when we first moved here, and got hooked up with a grey-savvy vet pretty quickly, but she left. I called around again, but no one claimed to be really knowledgeable about sighthounds, though some said they had a few as patients. I ended up with this guy because his clinic is the bloodbank where my boys give blood, and because he seemed more knowledgeable than the vet right before him (who did a fabulous job on Brilly when Pogo chomped him on the throat) when Happy first started having such difficulty last year. He gives us discounts, and lets us pay over time (obviously!), but he's downtown, so his overhead must be higher to begin with, and he never seems very decisive. Maybe that's not fair. Medicine is so complicated! But, jeez.

Happy just puked a bit, just as I was getting ready to give her more meds. :( I gave her a pepcid, and started her on an IV instead. My studio rug will never be the same! :P

At this rate, she'll be making her own decision soon. :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

The cost of a Snap 4 is about the same as a Superchem blood test here in SC. I asked about that last year and that's what the vet told me. It could be about $100 but it has to depend on the vet and your location. He ought to donate that one to you.

$100 seems kinda outrageous to me. :jaw:yikes

I totally agree, but he's got to pay for his huge vet tech and "management" staff and now the digital xrays AND dental xrays machines. We are not in an upscale area. I'm afraid he's going to price himself out of business!

$100 seems kinda outrageous to me. jaw.gif yikes.gif

I totally agree, which is why I went with the Superchem for that kind of money. But he's got to pay for his huge vet tech and "management" staff and now the digital xrays AND dental xrays machines. We are not at all in an upscale area. I'm wondering if he's going to price himself out of business!

Xan, I had no idea there were other vets around. There must be one out there who is just savvy and kind, if not greyhound-savvy. What Happy has is probably not greyhound-specific.

I hope she feels better in the AM but as you say, she may well be making her own decision soon.

I think this is it, folks. DH thinks this is it. :(

Happy has been vomiting all afternoon, and had a real awful bout just now. She's eaten no-thing all day, nor drunk. She must be distilling water from the IV into her stomach for this. She can't keep meds down. She's miserable unhappy.

I called the vet's office, nearly in a panic, while DH held her up while she puked. He's on the road, and will call when he can stop.

We're going to end this tomorrow morning.

*sob!*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:(

I'm so very sorry.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:cry1 My heart breaks for you. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so very sorry. You, Happy and your husband are being held tightly in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Xan60a9b444.gif I'm so sorry.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Energy11

Yes, you've tried everything, and worked very very hard, but this girl is getting sicker by the minute. You are doing the right thing. I know it is sooooo very hard, but she can't do this any longer, and neither can you.

Sending you love, hugs, and many prayers! ALL of us will be there with you in spirit, I am sure! :grouphug

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow morning!

:candle

when it's time, it's time, and there is nothing more we can do but to give them a kiss and a hug and let them go.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so sorry, Xan, that it came to this. You and Happy tried as hard as you possibly could. You're in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest bigorangedog

Oh no. I was so hoping for a different ending here. I'm so sorry you and Happy have gone through all this, but it is good she had such a tenacious and caring mom to go through it with her. I know how it is to second-guess everything (when we lost my Tanner to osteo in his hip, after repeated misdiagnoses, I questioned every decision I had made for him over the previous year 100 times over), but really, try not to do that if you can help it. It doesn't change anything and just makes you even more miserable. Hug her tight tonight and tell her the story of your life together and tell her all the things you love about her. We'll be thinking of you and Happy in the morning. I hope you will find some peace.

Guest IHeartDogs

I"ve been following this from the very beginning but never posted... *Prayers of peace and comfort for you and your family*

I am so sorry, you've done everything you can. You've been so amazing. :grouphug

{{{{{{{{{{Xan & Happy}}}}}}}}}}

Not fair. My heart goes out to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:( In tears here.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--