Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mattbta

I totally empathize with you in this situation as our Cayenne Padre was attacked by my sister in law's two catahoula dogs. Padre pulled through but not without an incident like this separating our entire family.

I hope your Diamond will recover speedily. It's been nearly six months since the incident and his hair is almost completely grown back from where they had to shave for surgery/drains/etc.

Guest lynne893

The EXACT same thing happened to me and Timber back in October of 2006. An off-leash pit bull (no collar, either! nice huh?!) came charging at her, unprovoked. Luckily, the owner was nearby and got his dog off. He said his dog was "very sweet" and had "never done anything like that before." There's a first time for everything, though.

It makes me SO ANGRY that people flaunt the LAW and leave their dogs off leash. I mean, first and foremost, don't they care if their dog runs into traffic and gets hit? But secondly, other people, dogs, kids, etc. are at risk.

Here in LA I see so many dogs off leash regularly, and unfriendly dogs too. I've had screaming matches in my neighborhood with these two a-hole guys whose dogs are aggressive to my Timber (again, honestly unprovoked)-- they growl and bark and hackles go up at her, and yet these bozos continue to sometimes walk around with no leash.... kills me.

When Timber was attacked in 2006, the LA Animal Control wouldn't do anything because THEY didn't witness his dog off leash or attack mine. Like what, are they supposed to be everywhere all the time to witness these things? The owner even owned up and took responsibility and admitted his dog attacked, but they still wouldn't fine him for off leash. :angryfire

Guest greytbookert

I heard from Sheila today regarding Diamond's progress and how the rest of her crew is doing. Here is what she had to say:

Sorry I haven't sent any updates but I haven't been able to get on the computer the last week as caring for Diamond is a 24 hr job and I have to keep her downstairs. Her wounds are healing very slowly and she's in a lot of pain. Some of the sutures have let go as the outer skin is so thin so I am having to keep that covered and clean. The drainage from the wounds has been massive and takes quite a bit of time to redress and clean her up. She hasn't slept a full night yet....she's usually up all night softly whining....pitiful and I am sleeping on the couch downstairs to be next to her so I am so sleep deprived now I'm numb. I can't leave her alone down there unless I am sure she's sleeping soundly because I can't take the chance that she'll try to get up and fall or start trying to chew her wounds......I am virtually a prisoner in my own house! We still don't know yet if or how much nerve damage she'll have when it's all healed plus they noticed at her vet visit yesterday that she has a spot are that looks like there might be some tissue dying so they are watching that closely. If that's the case she'll have to have more surgery so I am hoping we don't have to go there.

Laci is scared of everything now and worked herself up to a nice case of vomiting and bloody diarrhea at the end of last week. She's doing better now but she's petrified of other dogs now so that's going to have to be worked on next. JJ is just very quiet and subdued.....he's such a sensitive boy. Sometimes he comes downstairs to lay on the couch next to me but Laci just comes down for a quick check on Diamond and goes straight back upstairs to her crate and I don't want her to get depressed. So that's what's going on now....our next trip to the vet is Friday so I'll know more then and try to update as I can. Thank you everyone for all the white light and prayers....I am sure they are helping.

Sending lots of healing wishes for Diamond and family. It is so unfair that you had to go through this trauma. Unfortunately the majority of dog owners really don't take responsiblity for their dogs and think it's their right to roam off leash.

I hope Diamond feels more better soon.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest SoulsMom

Oh Dear :( Thanks for the update Deb. Must be hard being a prisioner in your own home. I do hope she has help . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest vahoundlover

It's bad enough she was attacked and now having such a hard time healing :( My heart goes out to you and your pups. :grouphug Continued good thoughts and prayers coming your way. :candle

I don't know if this would be applicable in Diamond's case, but after Rickie had his skin moved from his abdomen to his leg, we alternated warm and cold compresses - the warm was to increase circulation which helps keep skin alive. The cold was for inflamation. I got one of the pliable microwavable compresses at the pharmacy and applied it for 10 - 15 minutes periodically through the day.

Guest IrskasMom

You got all the Advice and recommendation from all the good People on GT. I wanted to add my Prayers and Well Wishes

for your sweet Diamond and hopefully Diamond will heal completely and your Heart to :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

I am praying that Friday will be a turn around day for Diamond and her family. Enough already! They all need to begin the healing process! I am just so sorry this happened and will keep all of you in my prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead