Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

Guest suzye

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I can't even imagine what it's like. However, I am VERY glad to hear that steps are being taken to declare the dog legally vicious. That is very, very good. On top if the wishes to get well and get well faster, I am wishing you get every penny paid on vet bills PLUS some for pain and suffering.

Get well Diamond!!! :goodluck

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greygirls2

Update 5/13

Diamond had a check up yesterday and the vet says the wounds are finally beginning to granulate and slowly close in. He says that because I see it every day I'm not noticing the improvement like he does seeing it weekly. I can't tell you what a sigh of relief that was. So I am trying a new non stick bandage called adaptic with a wound facilitator gel to move things along. The wound on the inner thigh is completely healed and she got those sutures out yesterday which made her very happy as they kept catching on the mesh sock poking her every so often. So two wounds to go and maybe no more surgery after all!!!! I even spoke with Dr. Stein at Alameda East in CO on Monday night. I called them to see if they had any suggestions because they ran a segment on Animal Planet a while ago about a sponge type barrier used in wounds. But that wasn't an option for us as he explained because it was to be used in deep wounds and Diamond's is shallow but open. Anyway I thought it was great of him to return my call and it was good to get another point of view. Diamond is fully recovered from her Proin ordeal and she's as spunky as ever. Monday she decided she'd had enough and now refuses to let us carry her up and down the stairs unless it's getting late and she's tired. So I've been letting her do it herself slowly and she's doing great. yesterday was the first time since the attack that I took the 3 of them for a walk together. I need to get myself back out there because frankly my confidence has been shattered and I need to get that back. It's a terrible feeling to realize that you can't protect your dogs like you thought you could. Diamond really enjoyed the outing but was a little ticked at me when she realized I couldn't let her go in the water. She loves the water and we walked by the lake. She let me know she was miffed with a big huff & puff then the backside while we finished our walk.....LOL She is a piece of work my girl! Then when we got home she thought she'd like to go out and run around the play yard with the other two....NOT! So once again I got the great greyhound snub.........it's so good to see her personality back.....LOL We are going to consider using DES rather than the Proin for the leakage so I will find out more about that at her check up next week. It's been very intermittent so I don't want to give her meds unless it's really necessary so I am monitoring her closely. Plus apparently DES is hard to come by since it got labeled as a carcinogen so it will have to be specially compounded. So right now things are looking up and Diamond seems to be onthe long slow road to recovery. My fight for reimbursement for all the vet bills continues but as you all have seen I am relentless when it comes to my dogs so i will not give up this fight either. If you can't afford to pay for the problems your aggressive dog causes then you shouldn't have one! So the battle continues.........................

Guest greytbookert

This is encouraging, Sheila! Your Diamond sounds like a wonderful girl and I think I need to meet her. Many of her qualities some very similar to my old gal Sahra, who huffs and puffs when she doesn't get her way :)

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you for the wonderful update!! :yay She sounds like such a wonderful girl :wub: I agree with Deb, we need to meet her!

I had a letter all ready to send to you, but then saw that you got AC to take some action. Let me know if you still want me to send it.

So glad to hear she is doing better!

Had she had any medical procedures with anaesthesia in the last few days before the urine leakage? Only reason I ask is that one or two people on this board have reported that type of reaction (temporary) to propofol. Hasn't happened to us, but all things are possible.

Hope pup continues to improve and you win your fight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm so very happy to know that Diamond is continuing to recover. I'm praying for her full recovery and your confidence renewal ... and for the lady with the other dog to realize the danger her dog presents and for her to be remorseful and reimburse your expenses.

Guest FordRacingRon
Update 5/13

So I've been letting her do it herself slowly and she's doing great. yesterday was the first time since the attack that I took the 3 of them for a walk together. I need to get myself back out there because frankly my confidence has been shattered and I need to get that back. It's a terrible feeling to realize that you can't protect your dogs like you thought you could. Diamond really enjoyed the outing but was a little ticked at me when she realized I couldn't let her go in the water.

I understand. When Leia was attacked,,albiet not as brutally as Diamond,,it took my DW months to get over her fear of walking with the dog and of another attack. I think it was tough for me too and it still is (that was over 2 years ago). I don't mind the park where I feel I have control but sometimes Leia wants the streets and I just don't trust anyone anymore as there are always loose dogs wandering around, and I am generally armed with a stun gun and pepper spray. What is good for you,,if you want to call it good,, is the fact your dog feels safe enough to go out again. Mine wouldn't go more then 1 door away from our house for 6 months. That's actually how I got the park idea, but that's my tale not yours.

You have to do it, for yourself and for Diamond. You can't let them feel that fear through the leash. I applaud you for having the courage to go out there and face your fears.

Continued prayers for Diamond's, and your, recovery.

so good to hear that Diamond is improving...keep it up, sweetie! :yay :yay :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Glad to hear she's on the mend...both body and mind! :yay

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest greygirls2
Thank you for the wonderful update!! :yay She sounds like such a wonderful girl :wub: I agree with Deb, we need to meet her!

I had a letter all ready to send to you, but then saw that you got AC to take some action. Let me know if you still want me to send it.

Please do still send the letter....I am making up a file because I'm probably going to have to go to court to get the bills paid. Thanks so much! I think I met you a few years back when we were searching for that grey lost on Lennox St. in Worc. Never did find that poor boy........i think of that often, very sad. Once this is all done and Diamond is completely recovered I'd love to get together with you & Deb and of course the hounds!!!!!

Guest greygirls2

Diamond was only under anesthesia for the initial surgery and that was a month before the leaking started. I thought of that too because I do have some experience with what you describe though.....my Cali got incontinent for a while every time she had anesthesia for dentals etc. She'd be wet when I picked her up from the vets and she'd leak for a few days after. The last time she was under was when she was 12 and dislocated her toe....that time the incontinece seemed to stay so we were using greyhound panties at night when it was the worst. I expected Diamond to have some problems right after the surgery so I had all her bedding made up with waterproof padding but she didn't.

Edited by greygirls2

Is she on other meds? Sometimes they overdrink when on antibiotics or anti-inflammatories (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) because their tummies don't feel so good. Prednisone of course does it too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wonderful news about Diamond. Your posts reads like a novel! The twist and turns of the story sure grab my attention - problem is, I just wish it was a figment of someone's imagination instead of a true life story. Thrilled that you are out-and-about again - any attack is a confidence breaker, but you and Diamond have been through so much that it's amazing that you could pick up where you left off. Diamond sounds like she has opinions of her own - a girl after my own heart! I will keep praying for continued healing - body, mind and spirit.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest LindsaySF

Glad to hear she is feeling better!! :) As for Diamond's wounds, have you tried Granulex spray? I swear by it.

Good for you for pursuing AC and complaining. Best of luck in that regard.

I am so sorry that I had missed this post altogether until someone else had posted about Diamond!I think you posted this during the time we were moving to Tampa. I read all the post and the ordeal that you have been through with her! Bless her and your hearts and I pray that she is getting a lot better. I also hope and pray that all your fighting to get the right reprimand for the dog has paid off, that lady evidently should have never ever owned a dog like that and why in the world would she ever take the dog out again knowing its history!???? I am sorry but she needs to pay and pay good. It is people like her that makes things bad for others that just want to go out and enjoy their dogs and then something happens! I am so very sorry..... :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

How is Diamond? I hope she is healing completely...... :hope :hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I am so, so, so sorry you had this incident. I do hope doggie is doing better and that the owner of the pit has ramifications. That situation was totally preventable and she was totally irresponsible. Heart love to you and your pack.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

Guest greytloves

Man. What an ordeal. Hope you have great success with AC and getting the bills paid.

and a huge cookie to Diamond. What a trooper! :cookie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greygirls2

Update on Diamond....we may finally be making progress....

It's been a long recovery with 3 of the more severe wounds staying open with the muscle exposed. I have used countless meds, creams, etc. trying to get these to heal. I have come across a New Zealand Manuka Honey wound cream and it has worked like a miracle! I've been using it for 1 week now and the wounds have closed in by over 1/2 their original diameter. My vet is thrilled and so am I. I had heard of this before but didn't think to give it a try but we were facing another possible surgery to try and get these closed up so I figured it can't hurt to try it . We all know how fragile greyhound skin is and I really didn't want to risk having the wounds edges cut and re sutured with the risk that it would all tear once again leaving nothing left to close not to mention the risk of yet another anesthesia. I got the wound cream which is the Manuka honey mixed with Aloe and Vit. B. I apply it directly to the wounds and bandage twice a day. I got this mix because I thought the straight honey which is also used for wound care would just make her want to lick the wounds and dressings all the more. I have to keep her muzzled as it is to keep her from eating the gauze bandages which she has managed to do several times in the last month causing me to be on constant poop patrol to make sure everything is passing through! I just thought this might be of interest to anyone especially with amputees that have hard to heal wounds. If anyone wants more info or how to get it feel free to email me and I'll be happy to share the info. I wish I had tried this sooner because maybe we'd be done with it by now. You can buy the Manuka Honey in many online sites. Hopefully in a couple weeks she won't need to be bandaged anymore and she'll be able to swim, play in the yard and everything. Looks like Diamond might actually get to enjoy some of the summer after all!!!!! :yay

I'm still fighting to get the bills paid by the owner but don't worry I won't give up!