Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

Oh, so glad she didn't have a flashback at the park. Has she had bloodwork to check her BUN and Creatinine? I'll bet she felt horrible after wetting her bedding! Poor little girl!

Will continue to pray non-stop for her recovery and sending hugs to you for being the best Mom!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update. I hope her healing speeds up from here. When I look back on a similar incident with Grace, I felt like she was healing so slow and then all of a sudden she turned a corner and made rapid progress each day. Wishing the same for you and your girl.

Diamond went to the vet again this morning becaus we were having issues with urine incontinence which they have decided is spay incontinence brought on by all the stress so she's been started on Proin which I'm not thrilled about. But she woke up drenched this morning, bandages and all so something has to be done. They did a urine sample and everything was fine, no infections or anything.

Interesting. Same thing happend with Grace. She had maybe one accident every 4-6 months prior to her attack, and then afterwards the accidents became much more frequent. We got to the point where there was one every few days and she is on Proin now. She's been on Proin for about 3-4 months now and is doing great. NO MORE ACCIDENTS!

Continued healing thoughts sent your way! :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest GentleHugs

I'm posting this for Sheila.

When getting my letter prepared to be mailed to Sheila, I noticed her zip code was missing a number so I called her.

If you are sending a letter to Sheila, please make note that her address and correct zip is:

Sheila Phoenix

9 Ash View Dr.

Spencer, Massachusetts

01562-2317

Anyway, Sheila says thank you to everyone for their continued support, prayers, etc. She's continuing to fight tooth and nail on this case and won't let up until she gets some justice for Diamond.

The dosage of proin they have Diamond on is now causing her to throw up repeatedly so the vet said to discontinue it for now. Diamond will most likely go in on Tuesday for more surgery to get the open wound closed if they can. I heard about a special sponge technique to close open wounds with while watching E vet Intern on Animal PLanet one day. I suggested to Sheila that she might want her vet to call Alameda Hospital in California to find out more about it.

Also suggested (and not sure if they can do this in Mass or not) that if the :censored woman who has this dog can't or won't pay, to see about if Sheila can file a lien against her property for the total amount that Sheila wants. We can do that here if it's done right but not sure if she can do that in her city.

Since AC finally remembered there were other cases against this dog, I suggested if she has to go to court over this, to have her attorney get a court order and get those past records from AC about this dog.

Anyway, let's keep standing by Sheila and Diamond and keep those letters coming to Sheila. The more ammunition she has - the stronger her case will be and she will win this fight!

Still :POed over how Sheila and Diamond has been treated so far.....

Guest greytexplorer

Sheila,

If I were you I would TAKE MY GYRL to the AC patrol and the police dept!!!!

They need to see with their own eyes what you are dealing with.

We're not talking a little scab on the nose, for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire

If you can't do it by yourself, then recruit a friend to help you.

I wonder if your attorney would care to accompany you on this road trip?

A picture is worth a thousand words, but to see the wounds in person is PRICELESS.

The offending dog's owners should see Diamond in person as well. :eek

hugs to all,

~Pat

Would it be okay if I sent a link to this story to NECN cable news channel?

Hugs. Keep up the good fight, but remember to breathe,

DD

Absolutely....go right ahead! Thanks from me & Diamond

Sorry I missed your reply 'til now. I just emailed NECN. Please let us know if they contact you.

Gentle hugs to you and Diamond,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest SoulsMom
Sheila,

If I were you I would TAKE MY GYRL to the AC patrol and the police dept!!!!

They need to see with their own eyes what you are dealing with.

We're not talking a little scab on the nose, for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire

If you can't do it by yourself, then recruit a friend to help you.

I wonder if your attorney would care to accompany you on this road trip?

A picture is worth a thousand words, but to see the wounds in person is PRICELESS.

The offending dog's owners should see Diamond in person as well. :eek

hugs to all,

~Pat

Good idea! If you need support I'll go with you

Guest jurishound

Under Massachusetts law, if you file a written complaint with the Selectmen, they are required to investigate (or "cause" an investigation) and come up with a finding. See G.L. c. 140, s. 157, below. Has this happened? Also, if you haven't already identified the responding police officer, you should be able to identify him by taking a look at the police log, which is compiled chronologically and is (or should be) readily available as a public record. Sending gentle hugs Diamond's way. :grouphug

M.G.L. c. 140, § 157. Vicious dogs; nuisance; barking or other disturbance; annoyance to sick person; attacks on other dogs

If any person shall make complaint in writing to the selectmen of a town . . . that any dog owned or harbored within his or their jurisdiction is a nuisance by reason of vicious disposition . . . such selectmen . . . shall investigate or cause to be investigated such complaint, including an examination on oath of the complainant, and may make such order concerning the restraint or disposal of such dog as may be deemed necessary. Within ten days after such order the owner or keeper of such dog may bring a petition in the district court within the judicial district of which the dog is owned or kept, addressed to the justice of the court, praying that the order may be reviewed by the court, or magistrate thereof, and after such notice to the officer or officers involved as the magistrate deem necessary the magistrate shall review such action, hear the witnesses and affirm such order unless it shall appear that it was made without proper cause or in bad faith, in which case such order shall be reversed. Any party shall have the right to request a de novo hearing on the petition before a justice of the court. The decision of the court shall be final and conclusive upon the parties. Any person owning or harboring such dog who shall fail to comply with any order of the selectmen . . . shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars for the first offense and not more than one hundred dollars for a second or subsequent offense, or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, for the first offense and not more than sixty days for a second or subsequent offense, or both.

The act of a dog in attacking or biting another dog or other animal may be made the subject of a complaint under the provisions of this section.

ETA: See Also, Town of Spencer General By-laws, Article 9A - Vicious Dogs - in particular, Section 7.2 (Permitting any person aggrieved by a decision of the ACO (under the by-law) to appeal the decision by filing a written appeal request with the Town Clerk within ten (10) days of issuance of the ACO’s decision):

Spencer By-Laws

Edited by jurishound

Guest GentleHugs
Under Massachusetts law, if you file a written complaint with the Selectmen, they are required to investigate (or "cause" an investigation) and come up with a finding. See G.L. c. 140, s. 157, below. Has this happened? Also, if you haven't already identified the responding police officer, you should be able to identify him by taking a look at the police log, which is compiled chronologically and is (or should be) readily available as a public record. Sending gentle hugs Diamond's way. :grouphug

M.G.L. c. 140, § 157. Vicious dogs; nuisance; barking or other disturbance; annoyance to sick person; attacks on other dogs

If any person shall make complaint in writing to the selectmen of a town . . . that any dog owned or harbored within his or their jurisdiction is a nuisance by reason of vicious disposition . . . such selectmen . . . shall investigate or cause to be investigated such complaint, including an examination on oath of the complainant, and may make such order concerning the restraint or disposal of such dog as may be deemed necessary. Within ten days after such order the owner or keeper of such dog may bring a petition in the district court within the judicial district of which the dog is owned or kept, addressed to the justice of the court, praying that the order may be reviewed by the court, or magistrate thereof, and after such notice to the officer or officers involved as the magistrate deem necessary the magistrate shall review such action, hear the witnesses and affirm such order unless it shall appear that it was made without proper cause or in bad faith, in which case such order shall be reversed. Any party shall have the right to request a de novo hearing on the petition before a justice of the court. The decision of the court shall be final and conclusive upon the parties. Any person owning or harboring such dog who shall fail to comply with any order of the selectmen . . . shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty-five dollars for the first offense and not more than one hundred dollars for a second or subsequent offense, or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, for the first offense and not more than sixty days for a second or subsequent offense, or both.

The act of a dog in attacking or biting another dog or other animal may be made the subject of a complaint under the provisions of this section.

ETA: See Also, Town of Spencer General By-laws, Article 9A - Vicious Dogs - in particular, Section 7.2 (Permitting any person aggrieved by a decision of the ACO (under the by-law) to appeal the decision by filing a written appeal request with the Town Clerk within ten (10) days of issuance of the ACO's decision):

Spencer By-Laws

Wow.... thanks for looking that up. That should help Sheila. Although the fines are kind of a piddly amount and probably wouldn't begin to touch the vet bills on Diamond - at least it's a start. A civil suit comes to my mind as well as a possible lien on their property (if the property is worth it).

The fines the judge imposed on the owners of the akitas that attacked and killed my Hannah were well over $1,500 plus court costs - that's on top of her having to pay for my adoption fee, the vet bill, cremation and restitution for my pain and suffering for losing my dog. A few months later, she had to turn around and pay for the vet bills on another dog her akitas attacked plus more fines and court costs.

My letter went out to Sheila yesterday. She should get it in a few days.

Continuing to pray for Diamond's recovery :hope:candle

Guest kydie

I am so sorry for your beautiful friend, sending good thoughts your way from Pa. Your are right the person is NOT a responsible dog owner and should not have any dog no mater what breed

Guest Zeushounds

I am so sorry to hear what you and Diamond are going through. Sending thoughts and prayers your way. :hope

We went through a minor(thankfully) attack by a German Shepherd in our neighborhood last July. Lucky for me and Tigger I only had one with me and it was a minor injury. Still very emotional none-the-less. The owner of the dog originally agreed to pay the vet bill. Long story short, the scum-bag owner/lawyer did not pay and I ended up taking him to small claims court. At the time I tried not to make too big of a deal out of it given that our dogs had met before with no issue and I was trying to be a good neighbor. Little did I know he would turn out to be such a jerk. Trying to care for the injured dog and having to take the time to go to court was exhausting. Wish I had thrown the book at him then.

Best wishes.

Brenda

Guest Flysmom

Holy crapshoot!!!! I want to write something else...

Seeing this makes we want to come there and hug Sheila and Diamond and hurt the idiot who owns the other dog!! I hope the officials see those pictures and take action. What else has to happen before something is done?!

:(

Sending gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Love and soft scritches to beautiful Diamond! Praying for her wounds to heal quicker. :hope

BEST of luck in prosecuting the sorry stupid irresponsible nutty quack woman and her stupid retarded uncontrollable aggressive dog to the fullest extent possible. I frankly would have no quams about having the illbred piece of trash euthanized. He obviously takes too much after his illbred owner.

Love to Diamond! :getwell

Guest greygirls2

Thank you so much to the person who posted the pictures for me.....I didn't even get your name. I am not real computer savvy so I couldn't figure how to post them.

Yes...the pictures surely do tell the story. But the real damage is all inside. The wounds went through all the muscle layers on both the outside and inside thigh. I didn't get any pictures of the wounds on the inside of the thigh because of the location and angle. The throat wound is all healed, the inner thigh is healing nicely though the sutures are still in. It's the two large tears on the outer thigh that are presenting a problem and not healing. As you see the sutures tore out with the massive swelling and those areas are still open with the muscle exposed. the first picture is one of the lesser wounds on the opposite side that hit the pavement..that didn't need sutures and has healed.

I knew aboutthe by-law Jurishound posted....that's why I have been fighting so hard with the town. But I have good news there....with all the yelling, threatening and letter writing I've done, progress is being made. I got a note from the Town administrator yesterday telling me that the ACO & polce chief are in the process right now of registering this dog as a viscious dog!!!!!!! It's about time...I don't know what the hold up was because it clearly was in the criteria for the distinction if you read the by law. So now the dog will have to be confined to it's own yard, they will have to get a special license to keep it, they'll have to get a $100,000 rider on their home owners policy to cobver the dog....if they even will or they'll have to get rid of the dog. So i got the town to see it my way....now all I have to do is get this bimbo or her insurance to pay the bills. I also contacted the Environmental Police so they are watching for her at the parks and will report it if she shows up. If the dog is off it's property it has to be muzzled and leashed but I don't think it can leave the property at all now being registered.

Diamond had a terrible reaction to the Proin the vet prescribed for her on Tues. so she is just now recovering from a horrible bout of vomiting to the point of passing blood for two days. I had to take her in for an injection of cerenia to get it stopped but that didn't work until the next morning so she had a terrible night...we all did. They gave her the proin because for some reason she started leaking urine Sun. in a continuos drip and sometimes even a stream, awake or sleeping. She was saturating her bangages and I was having to change them constantly to keep the wounds clean. They were thinking maybe the stress of all of this on her body threw her into spay incontinence. But that one dose of the Proin knocked her for a real loop so she won't be getting that again. I knew something wasn't right when she started really panting about 30 min after I gave it to her and once she started vomiting that was it....she was at it almost non stop, 4-5 times an hour. Scared the daylights out of us both especially when I started seeing blood like that. She was scheduled for more surgey on Tues but that has been canceled. Because of all this she needs time to recoup and gain her strength back. We just started her on small amounts of solid food today and so far she's doing well but she lost a lot of weight so she needs to build back up before I even think of allowing her to go under again. Maybe this delay will get the healing going and she won't need the surgery after all. I've emailed Shelly Lake and Dr. Stack for their opinions so we'll see what they come up with. Oddly....Diamond doesn't seem to be leaking anymore, she hasn't needed her panties for two days now and she was dry as a bone last night so I don't know what to think now........................ Thank you everyone for your continued support and caring....Diamond send all of you big hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My God, what an ordeal for both of you. This has been one of the most heartbreaking threads I've ever read,

Diamond is tucked very tightly in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GreytfulJack

Sheila...good to talk to you today. Keep me posted, hang in there and give Diamond a kiss from Casey and I. :beatheart I'm glad to hear she's feeling better.

xo Trace