Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

Guest valtoy

I think you should sue that woman until she is living in a paper box! This makes me so mad I could scream. People should ALWAYS have their dogs on leashes or in fenced yards and yet so many think...oh well, my dog will listen to me...duhhh...I live in fear when I walk my dog that there will be a loose dog. My previous greyhound Bob was bitten by a dog loose in someones yard who ran all the way across the street to bite Bob...I made her pay all the vet bills, thankfully it was a minor bit, but these people need to be taught a lesson.

Valerie

quote name='greygirls2' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:45 PM' post='3938837']

I was walking all three dogs at the park at 8:45 this morning when Diamond got attacked by a loose pit bull mix. I rushed her into the vet and they got her right into surgery. She's got a neck wound...through the skin and underlying tissue but missed the muscle and arteries. A deep puncture on the inside of her thigh and two large gaping holes through all the muscle layers on the outside of her right thigh. She's awake from the surgery now but the vet says they think the really deep wound may have caused some nerve damage as she seems to be knuckling the foot under when he tries to walk. They don't know if the knuckling is from the immediate pain and trauma that may resolve itself or if it will be long term. They are keeping her for the day and wanted to keep her overnight but since they don't have overnight staff I convinced my vet to allow me to take her home since I will watch over her all night. They want to put an e-collar on her but the neck would makes that difficult so my son is going out to PetCo for me to pick up a Pro_collar which is an inflatable donut that goes around the neck to keep her from reaching the area. Of course she's on high dose antibiotics and pain meds for the pain and to prevent infection. I am past the hysterical crying and upset now so I am boiling mad! I called the police immediately while we were there and made the person who owned the dog wait for them while my daughter in law came to get JJ & Laci and deal with the police so I could rush Diamond out of there to get medical help. Thank DoG there was a fisherman there who came and helped me when I called....I never even got his name to thank him...... He called the police for me while I held a compress to Diamond's groin wound which was bleeding pretty badly. He even held her for me while I ran to get my car and lifted her gently in. Now I watch people, dogs etc. around me very carefully when I walk, I carry pepper spray and everything. But let me tell you ....that dog came so fast I didn't have time to react at all. She ran and initially knocked Diamond down with her sheer force and bit her in the neck. Diamond got loose and stood up but she knocked her down again and pinned her to the road biting her thighs. I was screaming for help and trying to yank the dog off Diamond while poor JJ and Laci were behind me at the ends of their leashes frightened to death. I could not budge this dog and she only let go when her owner finally came and grabbed her. I am certain she would have killed Diamond if given a little more time. I learned today the no matter what precautions you take you don't have a chance walking 3 dogs if an aggressive one like this comes along. I am going to persue every avenue with this and I hate to say........this dog needs to be put down. This woman knows her dog is aggressive towards other dogs because I've run into her many times out there and she's told me she's very agressive to which I have responded that "the dog shouldn't be loose at all then". She's even called out to me before to ask me to "hide" my dogs till hers comes out of the woods because it "hates" other dogs and I've told her before she needs to keep that dog restrained. Usually if I see her car there I just go the other way...not that I should have to because my dogs are leashed as required by law while hers isn't but I'm not willing to injure my dogs to prove a point... but today she had someone else's car so I didn't recognize it. I knew there were guys fishing there but I checked and none had loose dogs so we thought we were off for a nice walk before the rain came. I'm waiting now for the responding officer and the animal control to call me back. My daughter in law took care of the reports, witnesses and all while I got Diamond to the vet. I've also got a call in to the selectmen and have everything completely documented, heads are going to roll over this......hurt me but DON'T hurt my dogs!!!!!!!!!!!! Why she attacked Diamond I have no idea but I am grateful that JJ & Laci are shy enogh that they stepped back in fear and didn't try to get in on the attack at all.......I don't know what I would have done then. This is a disaster that could have been totally preventable if this woman were a responsible pet owner, now my baby will suffer the pain and trauma of it all. So please send Diamond some white light. I'll keep everyone posted when I know more about Diamond's condition

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest suzye

Hoping for a good update, or at least a small move in the right direction....

I carry a big umbrella when I walk now. In the worst case scenario it might not help, but it makes me feel better and the last time we were approached by an off-leash dog (a friendly one for once ) I even *remembered* I had it in my hand and put it between the dogs. That was a big step for me.

Guest ChasesMum

oh GAWD! poor baby, lots of gentle scritches for Diamond... and an adult bevvie to you!

DH has kicked a couple dogs in the head/jaw as they rushed Chase and our baby in its stroller. J@ck@$$e$ that let their aggressive dogs offleash in an onleash area really pi$$ me off.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

What kind of &%$#@#$# idiot let's an aggressive dog off leash????? I feel bad for the dog but you are right it needs to be put down. I wish the owner could be put down instead. :angryfire

I hope your baby heals quickly.

Checking for an update.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest arlosmom

I am soo sorry this happened to you. It happened to my husband while walking two dogs and only because my greyhound Feather was very large and the fact that the dog clamped onto a wide heavy silk martingale collar did my dog come out unschathed except for the trauma. It was one of Alisha's 2Hound collars that saved him! We immediately filed a complaint with animal control in our county. We submitted the damage done to the collar (It was useless after that) and even though my dog had no injury they declared the dog dangerous. He is now confined to his yard to a pen with a cover. and if walked he must be muzzled and walked only by an adult. I hope your baby heals oK. Nothing will heal the trauma I am afraid. today my husband still walks our dogs with a hammer in his back pocket and will not hesitate to use it if attacked.

Guest Giselle

My heart crumbled when I read this story :( I'm so terribly sorry for your pain and for Diamond's pain.

I agree. Pursue every legal action you can and break this woman down to her knees. She is STUPID, ignorant, rude, completely inconsiderate, and completely incompetent!!!!!!

Good thoughts and healing prayers going out to Diamond and you!

I'm so sorry... hope Diamond heals up quickly! And hope you both get over the trauma soon. Cody was bitten by a neighbor's dog who broke her chain (yes, she was always chained in the yard) to get at Cody - it was horrible!!

And just a thought - the knuckling under... could she have injured something in her back due to the force of the other dog knocking her down? I'd ask the vet about that... hopefully it's something temporary! (Also ask about acupuncture for the knuckling under problem... it really helped Cody)

Hoping for an update soon!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest MAXNAV
I am so sorry this happened to Diamond, sending prayers for your baby to heal physically and emotionally. As for the owner and her pit, put them both down!!!!!!!! I am sick of hearing about loose dogs attacking other dogs, I too have a few screwball owners who let their dogs loose in the park near me, one who lets his German Shepard run next to his car @ the park while he drives around, an accident waiting to happen. He ran up in back of us when we were walking one day, scared the sh** out of me as I was attacked by one when I was 10 yrs old, I screamed at him to get out and told the owner that I would hurt him if he even touched my dogs. Now when he sees me, he does not let his dog out until we are back in the car. You should go after this woman w/a vengeance, get signatures if need be to have the dog put down.

Roberta,

Call the AC immediately if you see their dogs loose again. If you don't know who they are, get a license plate. There is a law that they must be leashed. They are not supposed to be running loose unless in their own yards, or in an enclosed dog park. Not sure if you are referring to Vet's Park or Muldoon, but either way, the dog is not under the 'owner's control' if they are not leashed and running free. Man we have some really STUPID people in this town!

Doreen

Edited by MAXNAV

Have been thinking about Diamond non-stop. How is she doing? How is her Mom doing? Sending constant prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest jettcricket

Thinking about this little girl as well...has anyone tried PMing her?

She obviously hasn't been on GT for a bit.

Guest ishapespace

Sending good thoughts for Diamond. I'm so glad your other hounds weren't hurt. It is unbelievable how irresponsible some people are. I hope the owner is punished to the fullest extent of the law and the dog is dealt with accordingly. Completely unexcusable.

Get better soon Diamond!

Guest greytbookert
Thinking about this little girl as well...has anyone tried PMing her?

She obviously hasn't been on GT for a bit.

I sent a PM today, hopefully we will hear on Diamond's progress soon.

Guest greytbookert

I heard from Diamond's mom and she has been busy caring for Diamond, whose wounds are pretty severe but she appears to be on the mend. I'll let her fill in on the details but wanted to let you all know that Diamond is healing but she will have a pretty long healing time, so positive thoughts could certainly be used.

Whew! I was getting a little worried! Will continue to pray for Diamond's recovery as well as her Mom's resolve to pursue all legal avenues so this will never happen again.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead