Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

Guest greygirls2

I was walking all three dogs at the park at 8:45 this morning when Diamond got attacked by a loose pit bull mix. I rushed her into the vet and they got her right into surgery. She's got a neck wound...through the skin and underlying tissue but missed the muscle and arteries. A deep puncture on the inside of her thigh and two large gaping holes through all the muscle layers on the outside of her right thigh. She's awake from the surgery now but the vet says they think the really deep wound may have caused some nerve damage as she seems to be knuckling the foot under when he tries to walk. They don't know if the knuckling is from the immediate pain and trauma that may resolve itself or if it will be long term. They are keeping her for the day and wanted to keep her overnight but since they don't have overnight staff I convinced my vet to allow me to take her home since I will watch over her all night. They want to put an e-collar on her but the neck would makes that difficult so my son is going out to PetCo for me to pick up a Pro_collar which is an inflatable donut that goes around the neck to keep her from reaching the area. Of course she's on high dose antibiotics and pain meds for the pain and to prevent infection. I am past the hysterical crying and upset now so I am boiling mad! I called the police immediately while we were there and made the person who owned the dog wait for them while my daughter in law came to get JJ & Laci and deal with the police so I could rush Diamond out of there to get medical help. Thank DoG there was a fisherman there who came and helped me when I called....I never even got his name to thank him...... He called the police for me while I held a compress to Diamond's groin wound which was bleeding pretty badly. He even held her for me while I ran to get my car and lifted her gently in. Now I watch people, dogs etc. around me very carefully when I walk, I carry pepper spray and everything. But let me tell you ....that dog came so fast I didn't have time to react at all. She ran and initially knocked Diamond down with her sheer force and bit her in the neck. Diamond got loose and stood up but she knocked her down again and pinned her to the road biting her thighs. I was screaming for help and trying to yank the dog off Diamond while poor JJ and Laci were behind me at the ends of their leashes frightened to death. I could not budge this dog and she only let go when her owner finally came and grabbed her. I am certain she would have killed Diamond if given a little more time. I learned today the no matter what precautions you take you don't have a chance walking 3 dogs if an aggressive one like this comes along. I am going to persue every avenue with this and I hate to say........this dog needs to be put down. This woman knows her dog is aggressive towards other dogs because I've run into her many times out there and she's told me she's very agressive to which I have responded that "the dog shouldn't be loose at all then". She's even called out to me before to ask me to "hide" my dogs till hers comes out of the woods because it "hates" other dogs and I've told her before she needs to keep that dog restrained. Usually if I see her car there I just go the other way...not that I should have to because my dogs are leashed as required by law while hers isn't but I'm not willing to injure my dogs to prove a point... but today she had someone else's car so I didn't recognize it. I knew there were guys fishing there but I checked and none had loose dogs so we thought we were off for a nice walk before the rain came. I'm waiting now for the responding officer and the animal control to call me back. My daughter in law took care of the reports, witnesses and all while I got Diamond to the vet. I've also got a call in to the selectmen and have everything completely documented, heads are going to roll over this......hurt me but DON'T hurt my dogs!!!!!!!!!!!! Why she attacked Diamond I have no idea but I am grateful that JJ & Laci are shy enogh that they stepped back in fear and didn't try to get in on the attack at all.......I don't know what I would have done then. This is a disaster that could have been totally preventable if this woman were a responsible pet owner, now my baby will suffer the pain and trauma of it all. So please send Diamond some white light. I'll keep everyone posted when I know more about Diamond's condition

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caiteag

I'm so sorry. Diamond will be in my prayers and I will be sending her lots of white light and love for a complete recovery.

My God, I am so sorry. I think this is a big fear for many of us.

Lots of prayers for Diamond that she heals both physically and emotionally. And please let us know how she's doing

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greyorkie

I am SO SORRY that this happened to you!! My prayers and thoughts go out to you and Diamond!

I always worry when I walk BOTH ET and my Yorkie. I carry a stick, but still, if a loose dog decided to ambush and attack...whew...

Hopefully the trauma will pass quickly, and something certainly needs to be done with that dog!!!

*hugs to all of you*

Prayers and white light to Diamond and you! How horrific! I have no words, only good thoughts for you. Please keep us posted on her condition.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Poor diamond! honestly i would push to try to have that dog put down... considering she knows it is agressive and lets it off leash. i would have kicked the hell out of that dog if it had one of my dogs pinned...

I am praying :hope for diamond to heal quickly and feel better and hopefully this doesnt affect her in the long run.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

OMG I'm so sorry for your baby. Been in your shoes and it's really scary. Let her have it!!! No leash and an aggressive dog. :headwall :headwall This owner is really a jerk!! :POed :POed

Prayers for your baby!!

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

I'm so sorry this happened to you and Diamond. Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers Diamond's way. And I hope the authorities do everything they can to make sure that woman pays (in every way) for what she caused to happen today.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh my gosh, I am so very sorry that Diamond and you had to go through this. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greytbookert

OH NO! Many prayers for you, Diamond, and everyone else!

I'm over here in Brookfield, if there is anything I can do to help!

I am so upset for you and Diamond that I feel sick to my stomach. This is my worst nightmare. I hope your sweet girl will heal well and have a speedy recovery. There is no reason for her to have suffered this.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sending lots of healing thoughts from NJ.

Why why WHY does someone with a dog aggressive dog allow it off leash?

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Oh no! I am so sorry this happened to you and Diamond. Glad the other dogs are alright. Wow. The other dog owner sounds like a moron!

I hope it all turns out OK in the end.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Oh no!! This made me cry tears of anger as well as tears of sadness and shock. I'm so terribly sorry this happened to you. I know exactly how you feel because I have been there, and now I walk with citronella spray AND a stick every single time I walk the hounds. There are so many off-leash dogs and so many irresponsible, selfish, ignorant people out there who should NEVER have dogs, never mind dogs with issues.

I am so sorry. I am very glad you're determined to pursue this. Please keep us updated on Diamond's progress. Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way, Sheila.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphugsadhugsmiley.gif

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so sorry this has happened. I went to college nearby and we used to visit Spencer Abbey. Before today, I always thought of Spencer as one of the most serene places in the world.

I think you're right to pursue this, especially since this woman has demonstrated that she knew that her dog was a problem, and couldn't even be bothered keeping it on a leash, let alone muzzled.

I hope your baby heals well and quickly.

Hugs,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest KyGrey

I am so sorry. This is one of my biggest fears when walking my dogs. I hope Diamond heals quickly, both physically and mentally. Idiots live everywhere.

Tons of prayers for Diamond :hope :hope And I'm so glad to hear that you'll be persuing this as far as you can...it's the only way to prevent it from happening to someone else, so thank you from another person that is scared to death and sick of loose dogs. :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Sending many good wishes for Diamond's complete recovery. Thank goodness your other dogs & yourself weren't hurt too.

Good luck with the authorities. Maybe there already is some paperwork on this dog that will help you. Not that Diamond's injuries aren't enough, but in NJ you get 2 chances if your dog injures another animal. Maybe after paying all of Diamond's vet bills, the owner will finally get some sense.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis