Diamond Got Attacked Today

Guest greygirls2

Guest myjazzy

I'm glad that Diamond is on the mend. In the past I have used Granulex to help an open wound granulate. You can get it at a feed store, because I think it's used mostly for horses.

I would be mad too. I would want to kill the owner of the dog and legally take it as far as possible. I hope she pays the bills.

I understand what you are going through, because I've had my dogs attacked before. I've been lucky and had the owners pay the bills.

Yesterday, I had my own dog attack another one of my dogs when she was having a seizure. We have a pretty long road ahea of us too. I'm sending good thoughts and white light to you and Diamond.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GentleHugs
1. when I went to get the police report the other day I was told there wasn't one......how can that possibly be when animal control never even showed up so the responding officer had to make a report

2. animal control tells me there haven't been any prior issues with this dog.....but...my daughter in law ran into the ACO assistant in the supermarket yesterday and her comment was " oh, ya....we've had issues with that dog before".......so what's the story here?????

Sheila,

Can you remember what the officer looked like or even his badge number, car number, anything that might identify the officer who showed up at the scene? That could be helpful because he had to have talked to the witnesses at some point or another. If he didn't file a report - shame on him. He probably assumed you were going to follow up with animal control and didn't think to make a report - although he should have! :angryfire

Does your daughter in law know the name of the ACO assistant who made that comment to her in the supermarket? I'd be asking the ACO to look back in their records - say maybe a year or two back - and use the address of the offender for any prior complaints they might have on this person or household. If the ACO says they have no reports then ask if you can file one so that it's on record. Get a copy of it right then and there.

Has anyone else in that area been attacked or spoken to by the offender about how this dog acts that would be willing to give you a notorized statement about their encounter with the offender?

When Hannah was attacked, I called our ACO here. They stated they never had any complaints about the dogs that attacked Hannah. Finally, I asked them to check back a year or two in their files to see if the offender's address showed up and sure enough - it did. However, the cases were dropped back then. I went door to door in a 6 block radius asking neighbors if they filed any complaints against the offender and guess what? That's when I found out that one particular case that was dropped by animal control was where the 2 offending dogs bit a small child and the parents of the small child decided to go after the offender by filing a complaint with their home owner's insurance! The insurance paid and AC dropped the case. :angryfire

I called ACO back and told them about what I had found out. I asked to speak to the person in charge and made it VERY clear that the two dogs had attacked a child before and now attacked and killed my dog! I wouldn't let them off the phone until they sent out an officer that afternoon to investigate. Together we found the owner and she got a citation to go to court. The ACO filed a suit against the offender on Hannah's behalf.

I'm sure you remember what I did when Hannah was attacked. I wasn't going to give up and I fought with everything I had in me to get justice for Hannah. It took me almost a year to accomplish that but I finally won for Hannah.

It took me going to court twice - the first time for Hannah and the second time to go as a witness when those 2 dogs attacked another dog in his own yard. Scotty survived his attack. The judge finally ordered the dogs to be awarded to a no kill sanctuary on my recommendation. He wanted to order euthanization but both Scotty's owner and I said it was the owner that needed to be punished - the dogs were only doing what came natural to them. They were Akitas and Akitas naturally guard a wide territory. Hannah and Scotty were in the same area that the Akitas were guarding although Hannah was on a leash and Scotty was in his own back yard. The Akitas were out running loose.

A few years later, the ACO here changed the laws about dangerous dogs and it was all because of Hannah's attack. I didn't know about the changes until an animal control officer came to my door one day out of the blue to tell me in person. I literally cried. Of course, it didn't bring Hannah back but her attack was not filed away somewhere where everyone forgot about it. It stuck out in everyone's minds because I made sure it did.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE animals and would NEVER do anything to hurt one intentionally but sometimes laws need to be changed to prevent things like these attacks from happening. I only had Hannah for 3 weeks but she meant everything to me and still does. May 26th of this year will mark her bridge date of 9 years. :crying

You might have to do some detective work on your own but you keep fighting no matter how long it takes! Get in people's faces - like your city council, state reps, state park officials (since it happened in a state park), etc. The more - the better. If one slams their door shut, keep going and don't give up! Maybe the media can help - newspaper, TV, radio, etc. Document everything - pictures, people's names and addresses of who you spoke to, everything.

I might not know the animal laws in Massachusetts all that well but just holler if you need my help. I'll do everything I possibly can to help Diamond and you.

As someone else said in their post - we got your back!

Diamond - :getwell:hope:candle

Guest FordRacingRon
Diamond will be going in for another vet appointment today. The wound is still open with the muscle tissue exposed and we are trying to get it to granulate without much success so far. We started carrying her upstairs so she could sleep in her own bed at night....and me too since I am on the brink of exhaustion right now. She seems to be much happier and is sleeping through the night now then I carry her back downstairs for the day when she gets up in the am. I'm hitting all kinds of road blocks in my quest to persue this thing.....

1. when I went to get the police report the other day I was told there wasn't one......how can that possibly be when animal control never even showed up so the responding officer had to make a report

2. animal control tells me there haven't been any prior issues with this dog.....but...my daughter in law ran into the ACO assistant in the supermarket yesterday and her comment was " oh, ya....we've had issues with that dog before".......so what's the story here?????

I will be sending the first set of bills to the offender today.....want to take bets on whether she pays them????? I will be putting my complaint in writing to the town boards later this week and also have a representative contacting the state because this happened on state property which has a leash law in effect.

You bet I'm mad now....raging mad and I won't stop till I get results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you dog is starting to mend. When the pit tore up Leias leg it wouldn't granulate correctly either (the wound was pretty big, I could see muscles and tendons) but the skin toughed up so the vet was able to eventually stitch it closed and it held.

I had the same thing as your 1 and 2. After I had left the scene the police showed up (witnesses had called them) but they would not file a report because a person wasn't hurt, "just a dog" and dogs are just property. I went back to the scene of the attack (when Leia was in surgery) and AC was still there talking to the witnesses that even had the license plate number to the car that belong to the pits owner. The AC officer said I could pick the report up in a week and we could go from there. One week later I went there and found out he never filed the report. In California you can't run a plate number if you're a citizen so I was up the creek. I drove around for 2 weeks looking for that truck too,,,but nothing. All I knew was it was a black SUV truck with spinning hubcabs and a tatooed gangster looking guy with a shaved head driving.

If you have witnesses and info,,go for the throat. :angryfire

Guest greygirls2
I am checking in on Diamond ??? Is there a New Update ???

Diamond update 4/30/09

We went to the vet for our weekly visit yesterday and the healing is painfully slow. This morning Diamond was sound asleep roaching when she rolled over on the bad leg and tried to get up tearing the bandages down and ripping the wound a little more. needless to say she was screaming bloody murder so I rushed to calm her down and redress the wound. She is sleeping comfortably right now but I am up and livid! I also had to get an e-collar for her which i was trying to avoid, but she's been really bad this last week and tears the bandages off the second I turn away from her. Not only that but she chomps them down before I can even react. What's next....surgery for bowel obstruction??? So she will be wearing the cone when I have to leave her alone for any amount of time. Yesterday I ran upstairs to get an orange for lunch, took all of 30 seconds and when I got back there she was happily chomping the bandages and sock off!!!!!

I spoke with the town administrator yesterday who appeared to be sympathetic but seems to agree with the police chief that the investigation was satisfactory! I am insisting they register this dog under the Vicious Dog Act and have let them all know in no uncertain terms in a scathing letter I wrote in the wee hors this morning that I will readily retain legal counsel it that's what it's going to take to wake them up. At the very least I asked that this dog be restrained and muzzled when out in public....not a tall order from my point of view. But they all feel a simple slap on the hand in the form of a fine for violating the leash bylaw and leash walking the dog is sufficient....NOT!!!! They haven't heard the last of me yet because I am getting really upset now and will be sending in a letter to the editor in our news paper shortly stressing the fact that the town officials refuse to enforce the safety of law abiding citizens while not properly reprimanding the violators! I don't get it....this is at least the second documented bite against this dog, she meets the criteria to be labeled as a vicious dog....what the H*** is the problem??????????? Oh here's a novel ide....why don't they all just sit back and wait to see what happens the next time.....maybe it will be a child. Won't the town be in trouble then when they find out the dog has counts against it..................................... Sorry for the rant....I am beyond sleep deprived and furious.

See...told you I'm not thinking clearly. I apologize....... I meant to thank all of you for all the support and good wishes you are sending, it really means a lot. Thanks so much!

Guest greytbookert

I'll write letters too, if you want Sheila!

I'm right down the street if you need anything at all!

Please give Diamond a kiss for me!

Guest vahoundlover

:grouphug I totally understand your anger and frustration, I am so sorry you are going thru this. We are here for you to vent as much as you need.

Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers.

Have you consulted an attorney?

Sending lots and lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Definitely get the media involved. You actually might get a lawyer pro-bono.

You're not in NJ are you? We have a radio station that would take up your cause. They love to bash stupid politicians (which is who you're dealing with).

What about an investigative reporter from TV? After all you are trying to save someone's child from this dog.

Guest GentleHugs

Sheila,

Send me the info on where to send a written letter and I'll write one as well. Also, contact an attorney asap.

Like I said before - we are here if you need us. Strength is in the numbers when it comes to these cases. How can someone ignore thousands of people bombarding them with letters and documented cases about the very same thing? :angryfire:sbox:POed

Publicity is a greyt tool to use right now as well. Let them know that you plan on taking it public! No town official (mayor, sheriff, council member) wants to be on the *other* side of angry pet owners, moms and dads. They want their support, too. Not sure about the population where you live but you might think about a petition drive. Just a thought.

Sheila - you need our strength - let us help you and Diamond. We will :kickbutt for Diamond and for you. It might take a while but we WILL get justice for Diamond! :headbang

Now - here's something for Diamond from her Auntie Therese - :bighug:getwell and a little something for you, too, to give you some extra strength :grouphug Rant and rave all you want - our shoulders are strong and our ears are listening. We are with you in good times and in bad times.

Sheila,

Send me the info on where to send a written letter and I'll write one as well. Also, contact an attorney asap.

Like I said before - we are here if you need us. Strength is in the numbers when it comes to these cases. How can someone ignore thousands of people bombarding them with letters and documented cases about the very same thing? :angryfire:sbox:POed

Publicity is a greyt tool to use right now as well. Let them know that you plan on taking it public! No town official (mayor, sheriff, council member) wants to be on the *other* side of angry pet owners, moms and dads. They want their support, too. Not sure about the population where you live but you might think about a petition drive. Just a thought.

Sheila - you need our strength - let us help you and Diamond. We will :kickbutt for Diamond and for you. It might take a while but we WILL get justice for Diamond! :headbang

Now - here's something for Diamond from her Auntie Therese - :bighug:getwell and a little something for you, too, to give you some extra strength :grouphug Rant and rave all you want - our shoulders are strong and our ears are listening. We are with you in good times and in bad times.

That's so well said.

Guest GentleHugs
That's so well said.

Thanks. I'm angry and I've been through this before - only I lost my girl. It took me several months to get justice for Hannah. It didn't bring her back of course, but it gave me a sense that when things like this happen - you need to get angry and fight. Sheila needs to be a squeaky wheel (like she is doing) but she needs a much louder squeaky wheel to get justice for Diamond. That's where I think we all can help. We can help be Diamond's voice and help Sheila's voice become louder.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I can't stand to sit back and do nothing while Diamond is trying to recover, Sheila is exhausted and some stupid idiot is being allowed to get off with a hand slap! Come on! :headwall That's something I got when I was a kid for touching something I wasn't supposed to! This person is a grown adult and should be forced to be responsible for their dog's actions. If the shoe were on the other foot and Diamond attacked a dog in that manner - she would be facing euthanization and Sheila would probably be facing jail time along with paying a hefty fine, too.

Yes, I'm :POed and :angryfire Sorry.

:censored because I'm a lady and I try very hard not to use bad words.

That's so well said.

Thanks. I'm angry and I've been through this before - only I lost my girl. It took me several months to get justice for Hannah. It didn't bring her back of course, but it gave me a sense that when things like this happen - you need to get angry and fight. Sheila needs to be a squeaky wheel (like she is doing) but she needs a much louder squeaky wheel to get justice for Diamond. That's where I think we all can help. We can help be Diamond's voice and help Sheila's voice become louder.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I can't stand to sit back and do nothing while Diamond is trying to recover, Sheila is exhausted and some stupid idiot is being allowed to get off with a hand slap! Come on! :headwall That's something I got when I was a kid for touching something I wasn't supposed to! This person is a grown adult and should be forced to be responsible for their dog's actions. If the shoe were on the other foot and Diamond attacked a dog in that manner - she would be facing euthanization and Sheila would probably be facing jail time along with paying a hefty fine, too.

Yes, I'm :POed and :angryfire Sorry.

:censored because I'm a lady and I try very hard not to use bad words.

Oh, yyeeeaaahhh! Add my name to the list! Get a bar of soap while you're at it, because I can't be trusted not to let 'er rip. Spittin' PO'd I am! Letters? You betcha I'll write letters. But if nothing else, please make sure there are plenty of PHOTOS that we can send to the media! Nothing generates more interest than blood and guts, especially when the "what if it were a child" angle is played for all it's worth. Isn't it a shame that we have to go to these lengths to insist on COMMON SENSE????? While you're at it, is there a mayor, city council, county commissioners, police chief, district attorney, ombudsman, etc who should be on the list, too???

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greygirls2

Actually I am setting up a nice little packet to state my case so if anyone is interested in writing a letter you can send it to me at;

Sheila Phoenix

9 Ash View Dr.

Spencer, MA 1562-2317

I have the letters I wrote to the town administrator, emails from them I have recieved, a letter from my vet stating the severity of the wounds.....I was shocked to read that at first he was very worried Diamond might lose the leg......he didn't tell me that because I was already so panicked! I have the pictures included also of course. Now the owner states she pnly gets a small ss check each mont and wants to kow how long it can be before she pays.....the ACO told her ASAP because the bills are coming in now since I had to use my credit cards. No money but she can afford smokes........she sits on a rock at the park and chain smokes while the dog runs around. So I have contacted my ins. Co who will be contacting her. Now there seems to be some discrepancy........an inside source got me some info from their vet office. Seems the mother is the actual owner, the dog just lives with the daughter because it is extremely dog aggressive and she has two small dogs so it can't stay with her. It's even noted in the vet notes "very dogs aggressive" so I guess they must have to clear the waiting area when this dog comes in! I have spoken to an attorney also and will proceed that route if I have to! Also have the press informed so let's see what happens now............. Again, I really appreciate all the caring and support of this group and I do apologize for the slowness in my answering posts but I'm still on very limited computer time. Thanks again!!!!!

Edited by greygirls2

What an ordeal. Sending hugs to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Would it be okay if I sent a link to this story to NECN cable news channel?

Hugs. Keep up the good fight, but remember to breathe,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Exena

Oh wow, I am so fuming mad at what you've been having to deal with! Sending big hugs to you and Diamond...I hope that justice will be served.

Guest greygirls2
Would it be okay if I sent a link to this story to NECN cable news channel?

Hugs. Keep up the good fight, but remember to breathe,

DD

Absolutely....go right ahead! Thanks from me & Diamond

Guest GentleHugs
Now there seems to be some discrepancy........an inside source got me some info from their vet office. Seems the mother is the actual owner, the dog just lives with the daughter because it is extremely dog aggressive and she has two small dogs so it can't stay with her. It's even noted in the vet notes "very dogs aggressive" so I guess they must have to clear the waiting area when this dog comes in!

Hmm..... I've heard THAT excuse before. That's the same excuse the woman who owned the two loose Akitas used in court with me! Only she said they were her *brother's dogs* and she was just *babysitting* them. Well, the judge didn't buy that excuse and stated since the dogs were in HER care - no matter who owned them - SHE was legally responsible for them while in HER care - period - end of story. Stopped her dead in her tracks because she couldn't prove the dogs were her brothers and besides - there was a chain link kennel in her back yard that the dogs were supposed to be housed in. Yeah, right....with the door left OFF the kennel and a mediocre 4 ft chain link fence around the yard the dogs jumped with ease several times a day!

Anyway - give me a couple of days and I'll get a written letter off to you Sheila. I'm sure you will receive several more because we are all mad as heck over this! Diamond did NOT deserve this and you don't deserve having to pay for the brunt of this woman's legal responsibility.

In the meantime, how is Diamond doing? I know the healing process is going to be slow but is she getting any better so you can get some sleep? Is she still trying to get the bandages off?

Thanks for the update and I'll get my letter off to you in the next couple of days.

:bighug to you and Diamond.

Guest greygirls2
How is Diamond today ??? Some more Prayers and Hugs for that Girl :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

Diamond went to the vet again this morning becaus we were having issues with urine incontinence which they have decided is spay incontinence brought on by all the stress so she's been started on Proin which I'm not thrilled about. But she woke up drenched this morning, bandages and all so something has to be done. They did a urine sample and everything was fine, no infections or anything. You should have seen me out there in the rain at the vet's with my little dish following her around to collectthe sample. She's a very private dog and refused to pee in the potty pen while I was standing there so I figured she'd pee in the vet's yard and I'd just catch that. So now on top of everything else the poor girl has to wear panties and a pee pad which only works haldf the time anyway. I did a huge load of towels, blankets, bedding today because yesterday when this all started and last night she wet through a lot. Her temp was good and her spirits are great but the wounds aren't healing so she will be going in for more surgery next Tuesday. I'm really reluctant to do this but the muscle is exposed so I guess there is no choice at this point but to try and get that all closed up. However we all know how fragile greyhound skin is so I am worried that if this doesn't work we may be worse off but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. After her vet visit I took her for a little ride and a small walk at the park....she hasn't been back there since the attack and I wanted to see how she'd react. She did fine and seemed to really enjoy her little outing even though it was lightly raining since she's as bored as I am holed up in the house all day. I'll try and keep things updated as soon as I can. Thanks again everyone!!!!!! Diamond sends her love and cold wet nose nuzzles. If I could figure out how I'd post some of the pictures of her wounds but I haven't had much luck with that in the past :( and really don't have the time right now to play with it.