Soul Is Home

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

He is sooooo much perkier today. And VERY hungry. I'm feeding him the ID only, in small meals. Yes, it's canned . . . .

He seems to be absorbing the excess fluids, but his chest where they were looks even more red today. Even looks like he has some streaks or scratches in spots. Any thoughts on the redness? It doesn't seem as painful today, but it looks horrible. Oh how I wish I knew what he did Wednesday night. . . . .did he do this to himself, or can the extra fluids cause the redness? I know if he had fur there I probably wouldn't see it as much, so maybe I'm being overly concerned?

Edited to add pic:

Soul003.jpg

It's worse on the side he is laying on. Splotchy redness . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SubQ fluids are like an infiltrated IV site and can get red and itchy ... it's an irritant and that's normal. I would keep an eye on it and if it seems to be redder, warmer, spreading or has welts or fluid filled blisters then start worrying and go back to the vet.

I'm so glad he seems to be perking up and feeling like eating, hope you both have a relaxing weekend.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest SoulsMom

Well, it does seem to be redder, but I'm not sure if it really is or if it looks that way because it is finally absorbing and his "boob" is abating and his skin is spreading back out . . . .

Guest trevdog

It's probably bruising. It seems their bellies tend to bruise even easier than the rest of them. Keep an eye on it and if it seems to be spreading I'd call the vet. I bet it will look better tomorrow though.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

The site the IV is inserted is probably not where the fluid pocket is though. For Kona, I would insert the needle in the skin between the shoulder blades. The fluid would make a bulge on her upper side at first but within an hour the pocket would move to her chest. gravity takes it to the low spot. Is the redness on Soul's chest?

Glad to hear that Soul has his appetite and is eating again.

I'll defer to the far more knowledgeable posters concerning the inflamation of his chest.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Such good news that his tail is wagging ad his eyes are bright - :goodluck that this means he's fully on the mend! Anytime you want to talk fiber, sad to say, I'm your girl. :nod

Keep healing, Soul! :getwell

Guest MorganKonaAlex
Yup, on his chest when the fluid pooled. It was red like that yesterday when we left Tufts. It seems redder today . . . .

and it looks more like skin irritation than bruising, right?

Guest SoulsMom
Yup, on his chest when the fluid pooled. It was red like that yesterday when we left Tufts. It seems redder today . . . .

and it looks more like skin irritation than bruising, right?

Right, not bruising. Where his IV was is starting to looked bruised, but the chest area is more red, like an abrasion

I did call the vet and we are going in at 3:20 tomorrow. I didn't get to talk to him, so I'm assuming if he was REALLY concerned about it he would have gotten us in earlier . . . .

Guess I'm just worrying because I can't find anything about the side effects of subq fluids that don't absorb right away, and can't figure out why his chest is so irritated and seems to be getting even more so . . . .

Someone mentioned the blankets or bedding at Tufts, and that could be the case as well. I'm going to "bath" him tonight with doggie wipes.

I'm glad Soul is feeling better.

On the SQ fluids -- I'm not sure. We have had a lot of experience with SQ fluids, but they all absorbed in 24 hours with no problems even though the lump, camel hump, "manboob" went down through gravity to the armpit/chest area was a little scary at first.

Soul is getting wonderful care. Hope you both get a good night's sleep and more good news soon. :bighug

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest SoulsMom
I'm glad Soul is feeling better.

On the SQ fluids -- I'm not sure. We have had a lot of experience with SQ fluids, but they all absorbed in 24 hours with no problems even though the lump, camel hump, "manboob" went down through gravity to the armpit/chest area was a little scary at first.

Soul is getting wonderful care. Hope you both get a good night's sleep and more good news soon. :bighug

Isn't it freaky? Soul loves to shake himself and the "manboob" would jostle and weird him out.

Was he licking his chest and jsut irritated the skin?

I don't know what he did during his stay at Tufts, but last night in his semi-conscious state he would try to lick it. I just gave him a sponge bath and I'm looking for some aloe.

And we had another tiny blood free poop! Yipee! Well, there was one tiny speck of black, but nothing more :D

Edited by SoulsMom

Glad to hear Soul is home and had good sleeps.......you must rest too and keep up your strength.

:yay for improved poops

Camomille is cool and soothing as well as arnica.

But if his skin is broken I wouldn't know if you could use it then, I'm sure others more knowledgeable on the forum would though........

Good positive healing thoughts sent your way.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

:grouphug :grouphug Bless his heart, I am sending hugs to you both. I hope that you are able to get some answers soon. I am really sorry I have no advise.

:yay :yay Greyt News on Good POOPS!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest p51crazyhorse

I am so glad to see that Da Soul Man is feeling better! his chest does look angry though..... hopefully it will look better tomorrow!

YAY for good POOP!!!!!

Holly

Glad to hear that he's home!!! It does look like an allergic reaction to something. It could easily be something as simple as the laundry detergent they use for towels, bedding, etc. Hope the appt. goes well tomorrow.

Oh, I'm so glad he's feeling better! You go, Soulman!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly