Soul Is Home

Guest SoulsMom

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

Yay Soul! Wag that tail! :yay

I would not worry about the skin. It seems irritated, but just on the surface of the skin itself. It could be anything from the bedding at the vet, to the "man boob" rubbing against his legs, etc. Greyhounds (especially hairless ones) tend to get irritated belly skin pretty easily.

If it looked like bruising or internal bleeding, then I would worry. But not now. ;)

Edited by LindsaySF

You tell the Soul Man that even Misty is worried about him! And I remember changing laundry detergent and washed all the dog's bedding. Wayne is pretty bald on his chest and his entire stomach. He got pretty red from that so I switched back detergents and no problems. The bag balm is a great idea and should be soothing.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SoulsMom

:lol Am I the only one who is starting to giggle from all of the "boob" and "man-boob" references? I think I'm getting exhausted and slap happy. Course, it helps that Soul has not pooped blood in two days, but it feels good to giggle a little bit. . . . .

Lindsay, thanks for your post. I feel much better about his rash now. Figures that it was strategically placed in the one area that that his "boob" ( :lol) was to make me worry

Guest ChancesMom

Amber, I just got in and was checking up on you and da Soul Man. I am so glad that he is eating and that there has been no more bloody poop.

The belly does look like an irritation of some kind. Just keep an eye on it. If you see any red streaks get it checked quickly. To me it looks like he either scratched it him self or maybe just hurt it on the crate. It, too, could be irritation from the IV fluids just laying in one spot.

I will be gone most of the day tomorrow but will be thinking about you. Good luck at the vet and I will continue to send healing thoughts and prayers that the vet says every thing is ok.

Happy news! I'm so glad Soul's feeling better. Now how are you doing? Just to put another 2 cents in, we had the same laundry detergent problem that others have mentioned: Silas' chest broke out in something that looked like your pic, just on the side that touched his bed while sleeping. Switched to the 'allergen-free' detergent and problem resolved.

i think this is the only place where you can get away with applauding POOP :lol:yay :yay and not get yourself carted away :bike

EmbersDad made my night with this post. So true!

:yay normal poops :yay

Guest nobleabe
He is sooooo much perkier today. And VERY hungry. I'm feeding him the ID only, in small meals. Yes, it's canned . . . .

He seems to be absorbing the excess fluids, but his chest where they were looks even more red today. Even looks like he has some streaks or scratches in spots. Any thoughts on the redness? It doesn't seem as painful today, but it looks horrible. Oh how I wish I knew what he did Wednesday night. . . . .did he do this to himself, or can the extra fluids cause the redness? I know if he had fur there I probably wouldn't see it as much, so maybe I'm being overly concerned?

Edited to add pic:

Soul003.jpg

It's worse on the side he is laying on. Splotchy redness . . . .

Im glad Soul is feeling better !! My Abe had some similar marks/bruising and the "man boob" thing for about a week after he crashed into something (he is a big goober :P ) It went away and all the fluid absorbed. It will get better.

Guest SoulsMom

This mornings report: His irritation looks better, but his tummy was gurgly and he had pudding poo. :( Yet, I looked it over pretty good with a flashlight and couldn't find any blood.

This worries me, because that is how each episode started: gurgly tummy and pudding poo. Then the blood would come. He's eating nothing but the ID diet.

Edited by SoulsMom

This mornings report: His irritation looks better, but his tummy was gurgly and he had pudding poo. :( Yet, I looked it over pretty good with a flashlight and couldn't find any blood.

This worries me, because that is how each episode started: gurgly tummy and pudding poo. Then the blood would come. He's eating nothing but the ID diet.

Are you in communication with the vet, at least to ease your mind while things in his tummy settled down? I'm going thru something a similiar with my grey but not as extreme. We seem to be on a D cycle. I switch to no grain kibble and we seem to be improving. Anyway, fingers crossed for your Soul mate.

Hope Soul has a good day, it does sound like things are getting better. It may take a while for the stool to firm up his system has had a rough go around. It is good for you to giggle over the "manboob" and "pudding poo" I am sure he senses your stress. Take care.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest ChancesMom

Maybe you could try giving him a Pepcid. That may help with the gurgling. As far as the pudding poo, Chance just in the last couple of months started having a firm poo. The last time he had HGE was probably in June or July. I can't remember just when but it was after my surgery in May.

I will be leaving home around 11:00 but will check back in before I go.

Hang in there Amber, you will get through all of this and we well be right here to support you.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Glad to see his appetite is back! Also glad he's back to an A-cup and his moob has gone down!

I'll be checking in later to see what the vet says!

Guest MJandthe6

I've given my dogs sub-q fluids many times and for periods as long as a month. If they are well hydrated then it takes longer to absorb the excess. Just think of it as some "insurance" hydration. It won't hurt a thing and will reabsorb. You don't need to try to force the reabsorption. Try to relax and let Soul's body do its job.

Guest SoulsMom
Also glad he's back to an A-cup and his moob has gone down!

:lol:lol

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be sure to talk to the vet today about the carafete and Pepcid. He is actually ravenous and eats his food with a crazed look it in eyes. This morning I'm worried again, but hearing that Chance's poo continued to be loose eases my mind a little. He arches his back like he was doing on Wednesday when I touch his tummy, which scares me. Or that could just be that my hands are cold :blush

I swear, if he has BM with blood in it I'm going to have meltdown. I mean what else can be done? I'm going to schedule the ultrasound with Tufts for next week (unless he shows some serious improvement). Hopefully by that time he'll be over the trauma of his stay there.

Last night when we went to bed he could KNOT get close enough to me. He had his face squished up on my neck, as close to my face as he could get. If I moved, he did as well. My snuggle monkey :wub:

Guest ChancesMom
Last night when we went to bed he could KNOT get close enough to me. He had his face squished up on my neck, as close to my face as he could get. If I moved, he did as well. My snuggle monkey

Awwwwwwww. That makes my heart happy.

I swear, if he has BM with blood in it I'm going to have meltdown.

Amber, you will not have a melt down. You will stay calm and take care of your baby. I really do know how you are feeling. I can't tell you how long I inspected Chances poop after her had the first bout of HGE. What you are feeling is only normal. Again, we are all hear praying for you and Soul and supporting you.

Last night when we went to bed he could KNOT get close enough to me. He had his face squished up on my neck, as close to my face as he could get. If I moved, he did as well. My snuggle monkey

Awwwww. Soul is such a darling. :wub:

Hoping that he is also a darling on the mend.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Checking to see how handsome is doing. And be sure to take care of you!!

Me too - how's Soul today...? How was his poop? Keeping you in our thoughts :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.