Soul Is Home

Guest SoulsMom

Guest greydogluvr

I am so sorry you are going through this. I just went through a GI bleed with my Clementine. They did a barium series, not only to locate the source of the blood loss but the barium also helps coat and heal the bleeding area(s). Is this anything that might work in Soul's case? Just a thought. :dunno

Continued prayers for a speedy recovery :heart:hope

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. Cindy, Soul's "boob" sounds exactly like what you described. It's red and uncomfortable, etc. When he got up I did the warm compress. I honestly don't know if being overnight on fluids at Tufts did him harm or good . . . .he acts like he hasn't slept in ages, and he has all the "marks" of thrashing in his cage. I found a scrap on his legs, his paws have abrasions, and his muzzle was covered with dried salivia. Soul absolutely HATES to be locked up. Now I'm 2nd guessing taking him there, but what other choice was there? His stool looked like pure, liquid blood . . . .

He is finally in a deep, comfortable, slumber. Earlier he would rest for about 30 minutes, then get uncomfortable and move around. Several times I observed him falling asleep while standing up. He's had no BM yet tonight, so I don't know if the blood is there. I'm about to turn in myself, now that he is settled.

Gawd, it's awful seeing them this way. . . . .oh, and I finally ate something. Still no appetite, but I ate some peanuts.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure all the other Mom's and Dad's of sick pups right now will agree with me~your posts, and good thoughts, and support really are what keeps us going :grouphug

I can completely empathize with your feeling of basic helplessness right now. I'm sorry this is happening, it is so hard to see them sick and very out of sorts. It all feels so out of control. I agree with the poster who said that Soul's instincts will guide him to what he needs. It's just sometimes hard for us to pick up on what that is.

I hope you both get some needed sleep tonight.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest argolola

Checking in on you both this morning.

p.s. Is it ok to give jelly to a grey (on a PB&J???) I've always been afraid to because of the toxic grape issue.

Also checking in this morning. I hope Soul and his mom had a restful night. Soul may be feeling more himself today - he sounds like he was exhausted. Hoping everything is looking and feeling better!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest SoulsMom

Well, slept downstairs on the couch and Soul was stretched out and slept VERY deeply on a pallet on the floor. Not his bed, but a giant mass of blankets, including a queen size down comforter. He was so tired that at about 11:30 he got up and relieved himself in the dining room. I don't think he had a clue what he was doing.

This morning he ate 3/4 of a can of his special food and had a BM. Thankfully, it was not all blood. Very soft, and it did have some dark, digested blood it it, but at least it was somewhat solid and KNOT Bloody Big D. Emily Anne, if he does have to go back, you can bet I'll be squaking like a mother hen to get them to let me stay the night in his cage. But hopefull the Big D is now banished and he won't have to . . . .

Thank you everyone, so much. Sounds like the sub Q fluid is somewhat "normal". Haven't gotten a look at the boob yet this morning . . . .more later . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest sinaminsmom

Yah! Sounds like he had a good night - and you got some sleep too. Lots of people, and even more houndies, have you both in their thoughts and prayers. The sun is coming up on a new day, it will be better. "I will try again tomorrow" is all any of us can do. Afterall, how many dogs have their own theme song following them around. Lynda and Sinamin

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad to hear he had a restful night. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction. :goodluck Keeping the prayers coming your baby boy will be feeling much better soon.

Guest ChancesMom

Amber, I am so glad that he slept last night and even more relieved that he did not have the Big D this morning. It sounds like things are on the up swing. Continued healing thoughts and prayers going your way.

Guest Dillymom

I'm so sorry I missed this last night. I'm glad to hear the Soul's bm is not all bloody and that he got some sleep. I can't imagine how scary this must be for you. How does the manboob look this morning?

We're all sending warm thoughts for Soul to start feeling like himself again.

Guest SoulsMom
The sun is coming up on a new day, it will be better. "I will try again tomorrow" is all any of us can do. Afterall, how many dogs have their own theme song following them around.

Thank you, this is very comforting.

Didn't get a look at the boob before I left this morning, he was sleeping so soundly I didn't want to disturb him. His entire chest and belly is red and tender. Who knows what he did to himself in that cage for 24hrs . . . . I don't think he slept at all, that's for sure.

I'm going to work until ten then go home and work from there so I can monitor him. He might try to sleep pee again :blush

RE: the HGE diet: Regular vet and Tufts both gave me some ID food. My regular vet said to feed him only that, but Tufts said he might need more fiber in his diet and they want me to give him metamucil daily. Any thoughts on this? He was already getting two spoonful of pumpkin in his kibble for each meal, isn't that fiber?

Also, once we get over this how to manage it going forward? No grains helped his Lupus, but the ID diet has grains. His supplements (VitE and VitB) also helped but should he really be getting it now? My head is spinning . . . .

How red is the red belly? I would probably be letting the docs know about that .....

I would feed him only what was prescribed -- no other supplements, nothing.

FWIW, pumpkin has never done anything for any of my dogs, except GIVE one or two of them loose poop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

Hi chest/belly is pretty red, but with hairless Soul any sort of little abrasion will make his skin red. . . .The vets at Tufts could see how red it was and I also called my regular vet about it last night. Neither seemed too panicked by it :dunno

So, go with the metamucil? Guess I'm confused because my vet said one thing, and Tufts said something else :unsure

How is Mr. Soul and mom doing this morning. Hugs to you both. Try to think positive. As with my Sierra back in September, I had to keep myself from crying at my desk at work all day. I kept positive thoughts and this brings positive energy back. As much as I wanted to blubber and wail, it only made matters worse. Sierra had a few IV humps to. She also had a long time to absorb them. They always ended up under her chest.

We are thinking about you and Chanting some positive energy for your and Mr. Soul!!!

Just me, but I would try a few days of I/D (presume it's the canned?) without the metamucil first.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty
Just me, but I would try a few days of I/D (presume it's the canned?) without the metamucil first.

Same here, I would keep things very gentle on his tummy for a while.

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

About the redness, my Buddy is battling dermatitis and his belly is often red. Maybe the crate or bedding at Tufts was washed with a harsh detergent? I wonder if aloe might help.

In any event, I hope he's doing well today,I'm praying for both of you. :)

Guest ChancesMom

I, too, would just go with the ID for a few days and then see what the vet says about his future diet. First and for most, let his tummy heal. I know a lot of people recommend pumpkin. All it does for Chance is give him gas. It is possible that the redness on his tummy is just bruising from him thrashing around in the crate. Some times bruising starts out as a sort of redness but if it continues looking red by tomorrow, I think that I would want him seen.

Continuing to send hugs and healing thoughts your way.

Guest trevdog

I'd let him sleep as much as he needs to and leave out the warm compresses for now. I bet it will resolve on its own and he's so exhausted the rest will help him feel better. Good to hear his poop was better.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you both.....

RE: the HGE diet: Regular vet and Tufts both gave me some ID food. My regular vet said to feed him only that, but Tufts said he might need more fiber in his diet and they want me to give him metamucil daily. Any thoughts on this? He was already getting two spoonful of pumpkin in his kibble for each meal, isn't that fiber?

Also, once we get over this how to manage it going forward? No grains helped his Lupus, but the ID diet has grains. His supplements (VitE and VitB) also helped but should he really be getting it now? My head is spinning . . . .

OK, so again translating from my human with lupus (and lupus-related GE) to the canine world, but for me, more soluble fiber in the diet was the key. Insoluble fiber is basically roughage — it works for constipation by helping to push all the poop through and plumping it up a bit. (Ewwww...!) Soluble fiber will form a gel when mixed with liquid, and this can basically soothe the intestine. Soluble fiber will help to regulate diarrhea or constipation. For me, it really helped to start slowly adding more soluble fiber to my diet just after a 'flare'.

Metamucil does have a fair amount of soluble fiber, but they also add other things (insoluble fiber, fillers, and sometimes color/flavor depending on the type) that would upset my tummy. There are other fiber additives that have a higher soluble:insoluble fiber ratio - Acacia, and I think Benefiber. (And Acacia has fewer fillers / extra stuff.) Feel free to PM me (I think I have enough posts to receive now) if you want to chat re fiber, etc.... :wacko:

I'm so glad that he (and you) had a relatively good night. What's some pee amongst the best of friends?

Sorry for the long scienc-y post - I always do better with more information. :blush

Guest Redpack

I can't be much help because they kept Em at the vet for two nights and three days on an iv. The iv was on his leg and there was no build up of fluid. Please don't second guess yourself about taking him in. You did the right thing. I know what you experienced. If you hadn't taken him, he would have gone into shock and probably wouldn't have made it. That's what my vet told me. I am lucky in that our regular vet is our evet.

One thing I would recommend is just keeping him on the prescription food. I wouldn't do the metamusil unless he shows any sign of straining. It's been two years, but I still don't give Em anything but his same food, same treat biscuits and an occasional tablespoon full of yogurt.

His pooping with only old blood in it sounds like he's on the mend. Hope he continues to improve.