Soul Is Home

Guest SoulsMom

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ChancesMom

Amber, i just got home and wanted to check in. I have read all of the posts and the warm compress sounds like a good idea. I should have thought of that earlier. We always put wet compresses on our patients that had infiltrates at the hospital. Again, just make sure it is warm and not hot. I think that I would let him sleep as long as he seems comfortable. When he wakes up you can apply the compress.

I personally would not give him anything to eat except what the vet gave you. After Chance had the HGE I was told by my vet not to give him any thing other than the prescription dog food. To this day he is not supposed to have any treats or other food. At least give his tummy time to heal before you feed him any thing else.

You know how to reach me if you get too anxious. It doesn't matter what time it is.

Continuing to pray for the both of you.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug It's so tough to see our hounds sick or uncomfortable. :( Hang in there...it will get better.

On a side note...have you eaten yet?!? Make sure you take care of yourself, woman! :P I learned my lesson last week. Mac 'n Cheese, soup...eat something and get some rest. Snuggle with Soul for awhile doing the warm compress. Hope you have a good night. :goodluck

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. Cindy, Soul's "boob" sounds exactly like what you described. It's red and uncomfortable, etc. When he got up I did the warm compress. I honestly don't know if being overnight on fluids at Tufts did him harm or good . . . .he acts like he hasn't slept in ages, and he has all the "marks" of thrashing in his cage. I found a scrap on his legs, his paws have abrasions, and his muzzle was covered with dried salivia. Soul absolutely HATES to be locked up. Now I'm 2nd guessing taking him there, but what other choice was there? His stool looked like pure, liquid blood . . . .

He is finally in a deep, comfortable, slumber. Earlier he would rest for about 30 minutes, then get uncomfortable and move around. Several times I observed him falling asleep while standing up. He's had no BM yet tonight, so I don't know if the blood is there. I'm about to turn in myself, now that he is settled.

Gawd, it's awful seeing them this way. . . . .oh, and I finally ate something. Still no appetite, but I ate some peanuts.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure all the other Mom's and Dad's of sick pups right now will agree with me~your posts, and good thoughts, and support really are what keeps us going :grouphug

I second the not giving him ANYTHING like peanut butter... if it's HGE, the fats in the PB could make him worse... Cody had a very sensitive stomach & she'd always get sick if she ate something too fatty...

Hugs - and I hope he feels better really soon!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Have a big mug of hot tea, sweetie, and feel all of our hugs (hedgamahog hugs are really tiny) :grouphug

Miss Jennifer, Daisy, Presley

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest SoulsMom
Have a big mug of hot tea, sweetie, and feel all of our hugs (hedgamahog hugs are really tiny) :grouphug

Miss Jennifer, Daisy, Presley

:lol: the thought of hedgamahog hugs gave me goose bumps (in a good way)

Don't worry everyone, Soul has had nothing but his "special food" from the vet. He even didn't want that when it was time for his meds. Had to pill him again. :( At least he's good about it . . . . .

Guest EmilyAnne
Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. Cindy, Soul's "boob" sounds exactly like what you described. It's red and uncomfortable, etc. When he got up I did the warm compress. I honestly don't know if being overnight on fluids at Tufts did him harm or good . . . .he acts like he hasn't slept in ages, and he has all the "marks" of thrashing in his cage. I found a scrap on his legs, his paws have abrasions, and his muzzle was covered with dried salivia. Soul absolutely HATES to be locked up. Now I'm 2nd guessing taking him there, but what other choice was there? His stool looked like pure, liquid blood . . . .

He is finally in a deep, comfortable, slumber. Earlier he would rest for about 30 minutes, then get uncomfortable and move around. Several times I observed him falling asleep while standing up. He's had no BM yet tonight, so I don't know if the blood is there. I'm about to turn in myself, now that he is settled.

Gawd, it's awful seeing them this way. . . . .oh, and I finally ate something. Still no appetite, but I ate some peanuts.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure all the other Mom's and Dad's of sick pups right now will agree with me~your posts, and good thoughts, and support really are what keeps us going :grouphug

Can you stay with Soul when he has to go back? How long does he have to stay for? I had a dog who sustained massive life threatening injuries, and I crawled into his cage with him every single hour the vet was open. I laid very quietly behind him. I was lucky I was able to take a week off work to do this and had no other obligations.

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so sorry. I can just feel how scared you are.....cause I would be too....I just know that awful feeling.....but you are getting wonderful advice. Soul sounds like he is thrilled to be home and will sleep now...he needs his rest....and so do you.

Hugs and prayers.....tomorrow will be better

Don't second guess about taking him to Tufts......they are the experts. He was just stressed about being in a strange place & confined. He'll get over it and will feel better soon. Now go share that PB&J with that handsome fellow!!

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Hoping you both have a good night! When Misty went into crisis and crashed, they had to give her fluids and hers didn't go down until the next morning. More than likely it did sometime in the wee hours. The body will take the fluid as it needs it. Feel better, both of you!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

On a very basic, instinctual level, Soul knows exactly what's good for him - like being passed out in the chair. Follow his lead with all the love and encouragement you can muster. He needs you now more than ever. He needs to know that the leader of the pack is going to take care of everything around him so that he can concentrate on getting better. Hang in there and indulge............both of you! Hugs for you and scritches for Soul. We're all praying for you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Deep, sound sleep might be just what Soul needs to heal.

You and he will be in out thoughts.

Hugs,

Marc, Honey, Kara and Nadia

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

when Rainey got sub-q fluids for her first time with pancreatitus, she was swelled up huge around the shoulders, then it moved to her right leg (and she had some in the area you mention too) -- it took almost 3 DAYS for the swelling to go down. Hopefully for Soul it will be down by tomorrow. I guess there's just so much fluid the body can take?

sending more hugs to Soul and you! :hope :hope

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I was giving SubQT fluids to my Kona for a few months. It would take about 24 hours for hers to absorb. I've never heard of it getting red and irritated though. Her body wouldn't absorb the last one I gave her and the Vet had me applying warm wet washcloths. Amber, I'm not that far away (Groton). Is there anything I can do to help?

what everyone is saying about the subq fluids makes a lot of sense, that must be a comfort for you Amber. Just know that Soul is happy to be home, he feels better now than he did at Tufts. But of course you made the right decision to take him there, don't doubt that for a second.

Take care of yourself, maybe a glass of red wine might be good for you.

Amber I know how hard it is to see, what looked like an okay to you (well other than the bloody poop) dog come home looking worse for wear. It's just the necessary evil of getting him well again. When Foxy had her breathing crisis last year she was perfect (except for the almost not breathing part) when she went in. She came home with bruising from the IV sites, a tube in her nose and it was glued to her head that bled when it was removed. She looked awful, but she healed and was so much better in the long run.

The hardest part is that he can't tell you how he really feels or what really happened so we imagine the worst. The worst didn't happen, and he is home with you. Trust them when they aren't worried, trust them more when they are. They will get to the bottom of this and it will become a bad memory.

Sending huge, but gentle hugs to you and to our SoulMan. :grouphug :grouphug

Janet, Peanut, Jake and Jet

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest p51crazyhorse

Can you stay with Soul when he has to go back? How long does he have to stay for? I had a dog who sustained massive life threatening injuries, and I crawled into his cage with him every single hour the vet was open. I laid very quietly behind him. I was lucky I was able to take a week off work to do this and had no other obligations.

oh this just warms my heart..... I can imagine the comfort you gave.....

Just checking to make sure you and Soul are OK, hope you both have restful nights and that Soul feels more like himself tomorrow. Remember, this has been coming on for a while and will probably take a little time to be better.

Hugs,

Charla , Gracie Rose and Carl

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Just a last check in Amber. I know how hard this is. He has been a sick boy and it's going to take a bit for him to settle; for his gut to settle. But he's home and things will get better :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Oh, Amber, I can feel your concern and worry and frustration that you don't really know what's wrong. I agree that the fluids can take quite a while to absorb. When Tess got fluids a couple weeks ago---I'd taken her to the vet because she looked way too thin---they took a long time to go down, and Tess was just skinny, not really compromised. That area is probably red for another reason, like if he was moving around too much, or licking.

He'll feel better being at home and with his Mom. I hope both of you get a good night's sleep, which can help heal about as well as anything.

Keep us posted, and we'll keep you in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Morgaynn
:grouphug I'm so sorry yer goin through this Amber. You and Soul are in my thoughts and prayers.... Sorry I haven't been on the last couple days and am just finding out about this. :f_pink I don't know much about what is going on health wise to give any advice, but what people are saying here seems to be good.... Make sure you take care of yourself too.. You can't take care of Soul if you land in the hospital from dehydration!