Soul Is Home

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

He is so KNOT right. My poor baby. The fluid under the skin that my vet gave him STILL has not been absorbed. Neither vet seems too concerned about it, but it is hurting him. It's all red and irritated and he is so uncomfortable. And just sagging there, like a uni-manboob. I saw him trying to lick it, so I know he had to have been messing with it during his stay at Tufts. He's finally found a comfortable spot on the chair and is crashed. After I gave him his dinner, he seemed like he wanted to hurl about a half hour later, but didn't. I swear, if we have bloody poop tonight I AM going to lose it. Soul is uncomfortable, exhauseted, and not himself at all. The only glimmer I saw of the old Soul was his interest in his dinner. Seriously, if he still has bloody Big D, what else can be done? His bloodwork is fine, he's on the Flagyl and a bland diet . . . . .

Can I put a t-shirt on him to help with the manboob? I know it's tender but won't holding it close to the skin help? I'm going to lose it, the waterworks are coming . . . .

ETA: sorry bout the un PC description of his excess fluid, but it's the best way I knew how to describe it

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyAnne

OK, the man boob, I have given my pets sub q fluids at home many, many times and they got the man boob thing too. It's just some excess fluid that will get absorbed as the bdy needs it. How long has it been since fluid treatment stopped?

Guest SoulsMom
OK, the man boob, I have given my pets sub q fluids at home many, many times and they got the man boob thing too. It's just some excess fluid that will get absorbed as the bdy needs it. How long has it been since fluid treatment stopped?

Under the skin, yesterday at noon. IV at Tufts, around 3:30pm . . . .whyis it hurting him so much? :cry1

Edited by SoulsMom

Hang in there.

The first 48 hours after they are home from surgery or hospitalization is the toughest. In 48 hours, my bet is that he'll be feeling better than he is now. If you see any blood in his stool, do not panic. You need to let the meds have time to settle in and the new diet have time to calm his gut.

Oh. And be patient with YOURSELF. It's ok to feel scared and frustrated with the situation. Don't get anxious with yourself for feeling anxious. It is natural to feel that way when they are uncomfortable and we can't figure out exactly what to do for them to make it all better (and it sounds like you are doing fine. just let him pick where HE wants to lay down and then I would leave him be).

edit: 'cause I meant to say this initially...Continued good thoughts and prayers for Soul's recovery.

Edited by HJsM

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest BlackandBrindle

First of all, you are not going to lose it. You are going to get through this and Soul is going to start feeling better hopefully very soon. :grouphug

Secondly, he's been through a lot these past two days so he's tired and feeling crummy, but I know he's happy to be home with you and Archie.

Hang in there :grouphug You're going to get through this :grouphug

Guest EmilyAnne

Under the skin, yesterday at noon. IV at Tufts, around 3:30pm . . . .whyis it hurting him so much? :cry1

Normally it dissapears within a few hours. I'm thinking they just gave him more fuids than he needed, to be safe. I think a semi snug t-shirt might be a good idea, to help support the man boob for now.

I will continue to pray for Soul, and for you in this difficult time. :grouphug

Guest SoulsMom

He's also so lean that there is not a lot of fat tissue to help it absorb? Just throwing that out . . . .

Ok, deep breaths. I know I need to eat, but I can't find my appetite . . . . .

Amber, I know how tough it is to get them home and have that feeling they're just not right. Just went through the same thing. Please try to keep in mind that they're not concerned from a medical standpoint and you're a wreck because you're not seeing the same Soul. Don't know if that makes sense. I'm thinking about you both and hoping for the very best!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne
He's also so lean that there is not a lot of fat tissue to help it absorb? Just throwing that out . . . .

Actually I think you are onto something there! Now that I think about it, our very skinny chihuahua always took quite a bit longer to absorb her fluid than our very fat cat did!

Wish I could bring you some homemade chicken noodle soup.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Eat some soup or a pb/j sandwich. It won't do anyone any good if you get sick too. Just try to relax tonight and take it a bit at a time.

I am so sorry you and Soul are going through this. It WILL get better.

It has to.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He's been really stressed, so even if he is better, he'll take a bit to calm down (both of you).

Rather than wait to see if he does poop blood, call where ever it would be that you would take him if he did and talk with them. Ask if does, you assume to bring him in right away, etc. Just talk to whoever is there so you have touched base with them. It'll help you feel better and you will have a plan if something does happen. Being prepared is a good thing :)

Sending prayers!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

The lump under the skin from receiving sub-q fluids is called a bolus. My kitty Sapphy would get them when I gave her fluids, but it was always absorbed by the body within a few hours.

It seems odd that it's been this long and he hasn't absorbed the bolus, so you might ask Tufts how long they think it should take for it to go away. In the meantime, it *should* gradually start to get smaller as he takes up the fluids. I agree that putting a t-shirt on him might provide some support and make him more comfortable, but just don't make it too tight.

Give him time for the meds to kick in and for him to start to feel better... it's been a hard road for Soul and it probably won't happen instantaneously. It sounds like being home will do him a world of good, though. Hang in there. :bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest SoulsMom

Re: the uni-boob . . . . My vet said it should be absorbed by this morning. Tufts said by tomorrow morning. But neither of them seemed too concerned about it. But I am. Because it hurts him. Here are my thoughts: because he's so lean, and because he started getting IV fluids five hours later it hasn't had time to absorb. Anything I can do to help it along? Warm/cold compress? His skin is very red and irritated because he had to have been messing with it at Tufts . . . . .

Thank you so much Diane. I did ask them, and they said if he's not better with the Big D in a few days to bring him back for more fluids. But if he continues pooping blood, what else can be done? I feel so helpless. He's so uncomfortable he shakes when I pet him :weep

ETA: he is in such a deep slumber on the chair right now. Poor guy probably didn't sleep the whole time he was there. He hates to be in a cage . . . .

ETA again: thank you Ducky for the compress suggestion

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest Greensleeves

If he also had IV fluids, then the body is probably fairly well-hydrated, and doesn't need to absorb the sub-cu fluids yet. The IV fluids can move through the body as quickly as the vet sets the IV machine to go, but sub-cu fluids have to wait until the body needs them. Until then, they just sit under the skin.

I *completely* feel for what you're going through. As long as Nelly was at the e-vet, I was worried, but relaxed b/c the experts were taking care of her. Once she was at home, I was an absolute wreck. The best thing for us was to:

1.) Know she felt like crap, and just accept that as long as we'd done everything necessary and possible, we just had to let her be, as much as possible, and get through it.

2.) Have a plan for what to do if there was a problem, and how to *tell* what was a problem, versus "just felt like crap."

3.) Have somebody to talk to at the hospital or vets, who could let us know what to expect and when to worry.

4.) Repeat step 1.

And you know what? It's OK if you lose it. You've been through (and are still going through) something enormously traumatic. You can sit down and have a screaming, sobbing fit if you need to.

I'm so sorry you and Soul are going through this.

I can tell you that at the hospital, if an IV infiltrates (fluid gets out of the vein and into the tissue), we use warm compresses to help the fluid absorb. I know you're talking about subq fluids, but it's really the same thing (where the fluid is, I mean) as when an iv infiltrates. It will probably feel good to him, too. Just make sure it's warm and not hot.

:grouphug

Edited by laurie

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

He's hurting and the last thing he needs is his mommy losing it. So you will be strong, you will present a calm and positive demeanor to Soul, and you will get through this, okay? Switch into nurse mode and just git 'er done.

Better days are ahead. :grouphug

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

It's so hard to watch them when they're so ill. When Emmy had HGE, if that's what Soul has, it took a good 3 days of IV's & antibiotics for her stomach to settle down and for her pooh's to return to normal (absent any blood). Our vet kept her at the clinic until she was eating without getting sick and poohing normally again. The entire time she was given antibiotics and fluids.

Hopefully in a couple of days Soul will be feeling much better. Try and rest and not worry (I know, easier said than done).

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I wish I was there to give you a big, warm hug, a mug of hot chocolate, and some scrambled eggs - the remedy for everything when I was growing up. For Soulman I'd give him a kiss right on his head.

I don't want to seem insensitive (please don't think that!) but I keep thinking about how I felt after surgery/hospitalization. I just wanted to go to sleep and didn't want anybody fussing at me to eat or move or even think very much. I know it's so hard, but maybe Soul needs some space to heal and feel better.

Sending good thoughts and white healing light...

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly