Winslow's Diary

way two gowwwwwwww winz-lowwwwwww

dar-sea

xx

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Winslowsmom

Dear Greytalk People (pets too),

I'm Winslow's mom, Glynis. I don't post here, but I'm the worlds biggest lurker. Not only do I lurk, but I read every post on Winslow's Diary aloud, to Winslow. He hears all your responses.

Two years ago today, I was horrified to learn that Winslow had Osteosarcoma. He was sick and I was really scared. We somehow weathered the storm. Today, Winslow had his weekly swim. Driving home, I had time to reflect on this and ask myself HOW we made it this far. Here's my theory:

We have excellent medical care. We trust our vets but I ask questions.. I question everything. They understand this and are good with me. We are so fortunate to have them.

Burpdog. She took us under her wing by helping me with research, keeping Winslow in Burpdog Biscuits and starting this diary. Diane saved Winslow's life, when I didn't recognize a bad reaction to Rimadyl. We owe her so much. We could not have a better friend.

Circle of Grey. I didn't post there very much, but I lurked and read and learned. For anyone in our position, they are a valuable resource. Winslow still sleeps on his healing blanket.

Dr. Couto. He's always been there to answer my questions. He's a dear friend to all greyhounds and very special to us.

Roger, Winslow's swim coach. He taught Winslow to swim and taught me not to be afraid. He really does talk to the animals.

Queen Winnie and her mom. We met the Queen at Dewey, before Winslow got sick. I was astounded at her strength and how she had recovered. Nancy was kind enough to talk to me, the gawking new greyhound owner that had never seen a tripod before. In our darkest hours, I drew strength from this encounter. I know Winslow did too. We were able to reconnect with the Queen and her mom via Greytalk.

Winslow and I have a whole list of heroes. Most of them are from Greytalk.

Those hounds that are many years post amp like Morgan and Jaxen. All the hounds that have made it through the worst and have come out ok.. We cheer this. I read these stories to Winslow. I know he is strengthened by them. I certainly am. Thank you.

We are sad for those who put up such a valiant fight against such a cruel disease and were taken. They are forever heroes. In my lurking, I shed many tears for those hounds and the families who love them so much.

Those of you that have multiple dogs are my personal heroes. I see it all the time. You manage to talk care of a whole pack.. When one falls ill, you give that one everything he/she needs while still caring for the whole pack. raising families and going to work every day. I find this amazing. You give me strength. Thank you.

Everyone who has posted on Winslow's Diary. Together we have made something that is inspirational to anyone else going through the hellfire of cancer. You have all given me and Winslow strength, inspiration, hope, insight and caring that is unsurpassed. Thank you.

We are truly fortunate. I only hope that through Winslow's Diary and Shop, we are able to give back a small fraction of what has been so generously given to us.

I'll be returning to lurker mode, but if you need me, I'm as close as an email. Maybe I'll even get enough nerve to "chime in" now and again, since I'm official now. :rolleyes:

We wish you all the best holiday season and a healthy New Year.

Glynis, Craig, and Winslow (who will celebrate 9 + 2 officially on Feb.7).

What a lovely post. Winslow and his family have given me, personally courage and strength through some dark times. It is I who should be thanking you and Winslow.

Have a Merry Christmas and keep bringing us all some Winslow!

December 22, 2008

We have been talking so much about Winslow's birthday party. Yesterday, we received 2 packages.. he was certain it was his birthday. As you know, Winslow has 2 beliefs.

1. Every package that comes into this house is for Winslow.

2. Every person that comes into this house has a gift for Winslow.

Because of the "snatching" incident a few months ago, (Winslow stuck his big schnooty out the front door and snatched a small box from the had of a delivery man. Scared the guy, but Winslow wanted the package.) delivery people will not come to the door. Instead, our packages are left on the bottom of the stairs, or just thrown out of the truck on the way by.

Anyway, we got 2 packages yesterday and Winslow was certain there was going to be a party. After he "opened" the packages, he kept going to the door to see if people were coming with more goodies. He wore himself out so we thought he would sleep all night... HA! The blue flame was on the job! Pouring rain at 3AM and he was out protecting the neighborhood from those evil deer that roam at night. (This from a dog who is afraid of the lighted reindeer decorations, even when they aren't lit!).

I've attached a couple of photos of Winslow, basking in the early morning cold.. Can you see that his fur is getting even THICKER?

Have a nice day, stay warm.

Glynis

2008_1218misc00371.jpg

2008_1218misc0025.jpg

2008_1218misc00061.jpg

2008_1218misc00071.jpg

2008_1218misc00091.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Have a Merry Christmas and keep bringing us all some Winslow!

We second that.............lovely photo's thanks for sharing

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

OH Winslow sweetheart...you are such an inspiration. :wub: Oh...and pansy delivery peeps! :P

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Winslow, I love you!

Merry Christmas sweet boy. :wub:

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I'm just seeing this! And I'm a little teary eyed, as sometimes happens when I read about Winslow. But what a lovely post-Christmas present, for many reasons. First, I am so honored that Winnie and I could play even a small part in Glynis and Winslow's journey in dealing with osteo. I think our conversation on the sidewalk that evening was Winnie's first Dewey after her amp, about 5 months before that. I was still in the stage of being amazed at her resilience, and though I never quite got out of that stage, at that point, I was still adjusting too. I couldn't believe that she was pulling me down every street, around every corner, and into every doorway. So I guess I was filled with such pride that I was eager to tell everyone I saw what an amazing creature my Queen was! And isn't it even more than serendipitous that I did? If there was ever a person who would take each inspiration, each positive influence, and pay it forward times ten, it is Glynis! How many of us have been given hope, how many have laughed or beamed with pride when reading about Winslow and his wonderful Mom. And how many hounds and humans have they helped, not only through their physical presence, but by their amazingly generous contributions to Hope For Hounds and the Greyhound Angels Network. Her auction donations and Winslow's store have undoubtedly made a huge difference. I truly believe that Glynis and Winslow are angels on earth! Don't mean to embarrass you guys, because you're only doing what comes so naturally to you, but it's true. And hey, she will sing Winslow's artistic praises, but his talent comes from his Mom, not the other way around! If you're not familiar with Glynis' artwork, you should be.

So this is a chance to say a public thank-you. For keeping me sane and inspired during my very difficult summer when I broke my ankle and lost my best friend, for giving me a gift I will treasure forever, and for the latest update on her very special boy. The pictures are incredible, especially that close-up (yes, what a luxurious coat he has).

It's just good to know they are both out there, doing what they do best. Thanks, guys, TO YOU!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hi Glynis & Winslow.

I posted a picture of Winslow's painting I won in the auction last month.

Winslow Painting Link

As soon as the wall is ready (we are redecorating) the painting, with Winslow's pictures as part of the display, will be on our wall. A big 'Thank you" to Winslow for sharing his painting talents with the world and to his Mom for encouraging him.

Merry Christmas!

Glynis, so good to see you posting on here.

I laughed out loud at that last picture of Winslow. His coat is OUTRAGEOUSLY thick! It's as if he's doing it just to torture you with cold mornings of coffee on the deck. Oh do I love Winslow and his stories. Thank you for keeping us all so entertained, and I'm so happy that Winslow is doing so well!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi Glynnis!!! :)

I am always inspired each time I read about Winslow and you and your hubby -- I think the most important thing in fighting any illness is a positive attitude -- and you and your hubby certainly are responsible for Winslow's great progress because of that! :wub: :wub:

happy New Year to you, your hubby and of course, Winslow! :D :D :D :D

ps. I LOVE my Winslow shirt! :wub: :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest EmbersDad
Hi Glynis & Winslow.

I posted a picture of Winslow's painting I won in the auction last month.

Winslow Painting Link

As soon as the wall is ready (we are redecorating) the painting, with Winslow's pictures as part of the display, will be on our wall. A big 'Thank you" to Winslow for sharing his painting talents with the world and to his Mom for encouraging him.

Merry Christmas!

we will make a donation to winslow's charity and we had him do an original for just ember. i sent winslow several pictures of ember and asked him to paint whatever he felt. i have seen pics of the results, and will post once i get it framed & hung. i am sooo psyched, can not wait to get it.

Winslow is such a talented hound. I'm sure his painting for Ember will be lovely. I would love to one-day own a Winslow original, but they tend to get out of my price-range very quickly when at auction. That's bad for me, but great for the organization Winslow's supporting. :)

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I'll be returning to lurker mode, but if you need me, I'm as close as an email. Maybe I'll even get enough nerve to "chime in" now and again, since I'm official now. :rolleyes:

Hi Glynis! You HAVE to post occasionally or Jeff will boot you off!! :lol

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

January 2, 2009

Hi Diane,

Is it just my pre-checkup paranoia or does it seem like there are a lot more cases of osteo showing up on GT?

It just seems like every time I look, there are more than yesterday.

Depressing and scary.

Glynis

to which I replied:

Both :) The base on GT has grown dramatically and usually people don't post unless they have a problem. Is the check up Monday?

Winslow's checkup is Wednesday morning at 9:30. I'm already losing sleep and the whole thing. Winslow of course, is doing fine.

He's running around the neighborhood in his usual fashion, throwing toys around on the deck, eating like he's never tasted food before, hogging the bed, demanding everything, etc.

It's going to be sad this time because his favorite nurse, Joy, will be leaving. This is the last time we will see her. She's going back to school to become a people nurse! What is she thinking????

Anyway, we really like her and Winslow allows her to do whatever she needs to. He is crazy about her. She helped me through the roughest of times, too. She is very good. I just hope her replacement is good, too. Dr. C has very high standards, so I'm sure it's going to be ok. I'm just doing the normal craziness. I'll be so glad when it's over.

Winslow's taking gifts for all the vet people. We did small collage frames with photos from the last 2 years. This checkup is a milestone. Tomorrow is his 2 year ampiversary.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

HAPPY NEW YEAR

And what a milestone it is!

Winslow's two year ampiversary........his fans everywhere love him :wub:

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

2 year anniversary--wow! Winslow you rock! Hound around town, artistic type, painter of renown, and working seriously on the title of Hound with the Thickest Coat Ever!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

January 6, 2009

Good Morning Diane,

Well, my friend, you have opened up a real can of worms here at my house.

You gave Winslow the "Loved Hound" on the GreyhoundGang website. Oh, we love it, he loves it, too!

That was a very thoughtful gift. What a way to celebrate his 2 year ampiversary and his birthday!

He spent time this morning looking it over and I think I read it to him 2 or 3 times. Says you are a good friend

and you have helped launch his career.

Winslow has now determined that he is FAMOUS! He's certain the paparazzi are after him.

(Dogs with cameras, I suppose?)

Going incognito.

He wants sunglasses, but auctioned his Doggles because he wouldn't wear them.

Now,asking me for RAYBANS!

Wants to move to California. Be in movies. Make records.

Swimming pool, movie stars.

Loved Hound

Glynis

Winslowincog.jpg

Winslowincog2.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:cry1 That photo of Winslow on the beach gets me every time. Darn allergies!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Winslow has now determined that he is FAMOUS! He's certain the paparazzi are after him.

(Dogs with cameras, I suppose?)

Going incognito.

Wouldn't that be the PUParazzi??

Yay for Winslow! LOVE the wig & scarf - Dude, they'll NEVER find you now!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Happy Ampiversary Winslow! :confetti

I'll check back tomorrow evening to hear how your checkup went - I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors as usual!

Winslow is an inspiration to so many...I love his paintings! :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest EmbersDad

i commissioned winslow to do a painting for ember. it is indescribably beautiful. i have only seen the picture of it so i posted a sneak peak in EEG.

checking in today for an update.

Edited by EmbersDad