Winslow's Diary

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Winslow, your pic in your business attire is JUST what I needed to brighten my day, thank you! :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Winslow - are you there?

I wanted to let you know that today, I went to a dog show and I got a rosette (ribbon) for 3rd place in the prettiest girl contest :blush I also had ice cream.

Look - here is me, awake ( :eek ) and eating my ice cream

darcy280608a.jpg

I hope that all is well with you and that you are nice and cool.

Yours

Darcy

xx

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Third place? THIRD place? Darcy honey--those judges were blind--you're obviously the prettiest critter in the neighborhood!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

June 29, 2008

Hi Diane,

I was reading GT to Winslow this afternoon. We're a little behind on things. He's been so busy being the CEO of Winslow's Shop that he hasn't had a lot of time to keep up. Seems that his duties require more sleep as well.

I spent the last half hour drying off my computer. I'm not sure if he was trying to lick Darcy or her ice cream, but my screen will never be the same.

Winslow had this to say about her:

"Darcy, you are soooo beautiful! The most beautiful! You know you will always have first place in my heart!"

I find it interesting that Darcy can eat ice cream. We used to freeze yogurt and give it to Winslow as ice cream. He loved it. After the chemo, every time he ate it, he threw it right back up. We tried it again about 6 months after the chemo and he still couldn't eat it. He does eat yogurt, not frozen.

He can, however, lick ice cubes when he's hot. Sometimes he chews ice and that doesn't bother him either.

Anyway, he sure liked Darcy and her ice cream!

We want Design's mom to know that we went through a really awful time the first 2 weeks. Remember when Winslow was jumping up in the middle of the night screaming and running in circles? Then the bizarre behavior from the gabapentin? Amputation is a tough choice to make, but after the first two weeks it gets a lot better. Just ask Winslow.

The big fella is still shedding and his belly is nearly bald again.YIPEE! He still is very fuzzy otherwise, but the fluff is still migrating from Winslow to every surface in the house. It's everywhere. I think my vacuum cleaner may start barking.

Since he spends a lot of time on his back in front of the AC, he seems to be cooler than last year.

I'm off to do some creative recycling for Winslow's goods. I've been trying to recycle cardboard for his shipping. The bottoms from the cases of dog food seem to be perfect. We have plenty of them. The CEO is napping..... again. Says it's too hot to work.

Have a good day.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well Glynnis, since you are reusing/recycling, collect his shedded fur. Have it washed and spun into yarn. You can then have a Winslow fur sweater. If his fur is keeping him roasty, just imagine what it will do for you. :P

• 2 weeks later...

July 10, 2008

Hi Diane,

We were reading about Bodie's birthday... GO BODIE! Winslow is cheering him on and wishing him well. We saw the photos. We were all happy to see him enjoying himself!

GOOD NEWS! Lots of it!

First, Winslow had his 18 month check up on Wednesday. He was disappointed that we didn't go swimming, but was happy to visit with all the good folks at VCA. His surgeon, Dr. Massat was really happy to see him and came out to the waiting room for a visit.. So did some of the others who cared for him after his surgery. They all remember Winslow. We, of course, plugged Winslow's Shop, extensively, handing out business cards (Yes, Winslow now has business cards.) and telling them all about it. Oddly, nobody seemed really surprised that Winslow has a business and everyone was really thrilled about it.

Those folks know how to treat Winslow and they are very good with me as well... (guess I'm a little neurotic about some things).

Winslow's beloved Dr. Calo called this morning... ALL CLEAR! Everything is good. We cheered loudly and did the happy dance. (Now maybe I'll get some sleep).

As you know, Winslow is shedding that fuzzy stuff. I got him a "Furminator". I would NOT reccommend this to people whose Greys have normal coats. I have to be VERY CAREFUL with it and not drag it over his bony parts (he doesn't have that many, but still..). It is fabulous for taking out that really fuzzy stuff that makes Winslow so hot. He's actually beginning to look like a greyhound again instead of a sheepdog. I think he's getting cooler, too. It's perfect for a long haired dog or one with a "double coat".

Someone posted on Winslow's diary that I should take his hair and have it woven into yarn for a sweater or something. Well, I've started saving it and I think there will be plenty. He's very clean because he gets a bath every week and this fuzz would probably make a warm sweater or hat. The furminator makes it easy to save. I'll let you know how that goes. A sweater for me from Winslow's hair seems to be the perfect solution to keeping our home so cold in the winter for him!

One of Craig's friends from college runs a rescue service for American Eskimo dogs. He sent out Winslow's shop info to everyone he knows! Hopefully that will bring in some business for the hounds!

Now that Winslow's check up is out of the way, I can resume the work on his next assortment of notecards! Keep checking! I plan to have them in hand and post them before next week! If you have subscribed, the shop will automatically let you know when I post! They're coming!

We hope all is well with you and your pack! Have a wonderful time in Kentucky.

Keep in touch.

Glynis

Winslow now has a shop! www. winslowshop.com

All Greyhound, all the time! go figure!?

ifeelgood.jpg

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

The words I remember from the post above are ALL CLEAR :confetti

:D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

July 16, 2008

I'm going to post the next set of cards tonight. I think I'm going to tell anyone that wants to see his slide show that

they can email me and I'll send it to them privately.. It really is too good to just let it fall into cyberspace.

Winslow has been busy.

We cut a hole in the stairwell, thru to the "dining" room-bedroom.

Now Winslow can see everything from "Command central" (aka the bed).

I've been using the hole for puppet shows... I'm going to put one on youtube.

He really loves being able to see us going up and down the stairs. Now he doesn't even

have to get up.... Very funny.

Have a GOOD week.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

July 17, 2008

Winslow has been busy finding other ways to cheat in the pool.

Now, he thinks if he swims to the ramp at the end of the pool and then just stands there in chest deep water, maybe I won't notice..and he can just stand there, in the nice cold water. Winslow works hard at being lazy. He loves to swim, but when he thinks he's even a tiny bit tired, the whole cheating thing starts. It's really funny because if I tell him, "2 more laps".... he'll do 2 more.. but that's all. Then he bolts for the door and there's no way to get him back to the pool.

Anyway, he had a good swim and now, a good sleep. Maybe tomorrow, we'll get to do the puppet show.

Have fun.

Glynis

Puppet show?????, I ask

Here's the story on the puppet shows.

Last week, I was talking to Winslow and he said he likes to see who goes up and down the stairs. He can see everything from the sofa, but wanted to see all from the bed. Fanny is aimed at the bed, not the sofa. Ok, I agreed. So, I told Craig we needed a hole in the wall for "air circulation and light"...Of course he knew why we were doing it, but he felt more justified about it with the "air and light" story. So the wall was cut.

Well, Winslow loves the new hole. Yesterday I started doing puppet shows for him through the hole with his toys. Well, today, Craig did one... silly as can be, but Winslow was entertained. Gotta give him credit... Craig loves his Winslow. I don't know too many guys that would do this and have it go out there.

I'm putting it on youtube right now.

I put my email address on Winslowshop so anyone who wants to see his slideshow can email me and I'll send it to them. I've had a few folks asking already.

On another note... Winslow saw the absolutely gorgeous photos of Darcy and her big beautiful eyebrow.. He says it's WONDERFUL! He's trying to figure out how to get a plane ticket to go and meet that girl! She has long hair and eats ice cream! Nothing better.

We also read about Darcy's brother Wallace and hope that his tests are good and he's going to be just fine.

We have been looking at Marilyn's auction... it seems to be going well. Whoever did the framing on Winslow's painting did a FABULOUS JOB!

So I'm sitting here writing all of this while I'm waiting for youtube to finish loading the puppet show. If you don't have time to read it until you get home, I do understand.

Well, I'm not going to hold up this email any longer. I'll send it to you when it's done.

Glynis

July 22, 2008

I'm really glad we were able to help Marilyn's auction in some small way. Sometime, maybe Winslow will get to meet her, too.

Winslow will be gearing up for the next GAN auction.. He'll be making a package of some kind and asking for biscuits..

How's everything there? Are you near the hurricane? Do you have any storm fearing dogs? What do you do about them?

I'm probably going to need knee surgery. I seem to have torn some cartilage a few weeks ago and reinjured an old injury. Winslow has been encouraging me to see his surgeon, Dr. Massat. He says Dr. Massat can fix it and I don't need that leg anyway. I've been explaining that I only have one more, not 3.

Meanwhile, he sees me limping and seems to know exactly where it hurts. He keeps coming over and giving my knee the 3rd degree sniffs. You know, the kind that gather all the information.

It's been too hot to go outside here, so we have been entertaining Winslow with the puppet shows in the hole in the wall. He really likes them and it gives him something to do. It's so hot that he won't even get in the car to take a little ride. He just looks at the front door, says, "NO WAY" and goes back to bed.

We were recently on GT and saw some very stunning photos of Darcy and her big beautiful eyebrow... Winslow is smitten. It seems unusual.. she lost a lot of hair from the chemo and Winslow grew a lot of it.

Things here just keep rolling along. Winslow is working on some new things for his shop... We think it's about time to do a subscriber's special, don't you?

I hope you are in a safe place for the storm.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I think it's *totally* obviously that the hole in the wall was absolutely necessary for good light and air circulation! Obvious, just totally obvious!!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

OMG I love that puppet show! Ventilation is very important :nod ! That Winslow is one lucky dog, I am still cracking up with "Command Cental"!! :lol

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I would think a sweater or something similar from Winslow's hair might be a pretty good fundraiser for an auction. ;)

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

July 29, 2008

Hi Diane,

Last night, I told Winslow he was getting strawberry Burpdogs. Forgot about those art supplies I ordered.

Today, the Fedex guy found out how quickly Winslow can snatch a package if he thinks it's Burpdogs. The boy is quick!

From now on my packages will be left at the BOTTOM OF THE STAIRS.

I wish I had my camera when I went to the door.

Glynis

Winpkg.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

That puppet show is hysterical. I didn't realize Glynis had posted all those videos so I ended up watching Winslow at the beach and now I'm teary. You can't help but be overwhelmed by seeing him loving life so much post amputation. Go Winslow!!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

August 6, 2008

Good Morning Diane,

Today in Winslowville, it's hot... very hot. Winslow has been refusing to go out during the day. He goes at night, romping around the neighborhood at all hours. He has elected himself to be the neighborhood watch dog. He's staying cool and getting ahead of the other dogs by marking everything before they get up in the morning. Then, having secured his territory, he sleeps all day.

Unfortunately, Craig and I don't.

Today is swim day. But, because we have to go from the house to the car to get to the pool, Winslow has refused to go swimming.

I knew this was coming, so I got the car ready early.. towels, ice cubes in his bowl, little fanny to blow the ac directly on him. His limo was all prepared.

I went back inside, knowing this was going to be a bribery day, so I armed myself with a bit of cheese and a burpdog biscuit. I went to the door and said ,"Let's go swimming!"

Winslow charged to the door, got his collar and leash, and as soon as I opened the front door, he slammed on the brakes!

Ok, burpdog biscuit, do your thing! I waved it in front of his nose. He snapped at it, but didn't move.

I stepped outside, waving the biscuit... nothing. Ok, time for the cheese. Again, nothing. He said, "There's no way I'm going out this door. You can't make me do it." He just turned around and went into the kitchen. "Are you going to give me those treats anyway?" ... Well, I had to call Roger and explain. He thought it was all pretty funny. I unloaded the car, brought everything back inside and there was Winslow... "what about those treats?"

I guess you know the rest of the story.

I need a sweater and a nap.

The "Furminator" works really well to get that extra fur. Winslow seems to be a little cooler and the intense shedding (achoo!) has subsided. He's still way too fuzzy for a greyhound and way too hot, but it does seem to help.

I took the photo from the hole in the wall. Winslow thinks he can spy on me.. Whenever I go upstairs, I see that one ear go up and one eye opens, but he doesn't move.

Glynis

spying.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Aw, I needed a Winslow post today. We just got word that one of our favorite adopted dogs had to be put down this morning (cancer of course).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

August 13, 2008

Hi Diane,

We just got home from swimming... it was a tough day for Winslow.

He got on the scale, a whopping 81 lbs.. (The scale has been broken for a few weeks, so we couldn't weigh him. It's fixed now..) NO MORE BANANAS. NO MORE EXTRA SNACKS.. NO MORE LICKY THE PLATES FROM MOM'S BREAKFAST.

No wonder he's been lazier than usual. In addition to the heat, he's been laying around here sucking up the extras and then refusing to swim.

As you know Winslow figured out how to cheat on his swimming laps this summer. Well, today ROGER saw it.. He said to Winslow, "This is just unacceptable. I taught you how to do it right!" He then made Winslow swim those laps the right way. Of course, he did it perfectly for Roger. As soon as I was in charge, he tried to cheat again. Roger showed me how to stop him from turning too soon, so he had to swim every lap.

He will have to swim all his laps every time to lose these 4 lbs. I know it doesn't sound like a lot of weight, but it's critical with only one back leg. He's been holding at 77 for a long time and I think it just creeps up on us, especially when it's so hot, he's less active and I didn't get to weigh him for a few weeks. It's a constant struggle to keep it just right.

Now, he's exhausted and he knows his lunch rations are cut and the snacks are gone. I think he's looking for the number for Greyhound Welfare.... He's not happy with me.

I haven't told him that my painting is tied with his package on the auction.. That would just be too much.

How's everything at your house?

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Now, he's exhausted and he knows his lunch rations are cut and the snacks are gone. I think he's looking for the number for Greyhound Welfare.... He's not happy with me.

Well, this would be the first time we'd be contacted by one of our dogs, but well, it IS Winslow, after all :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

September 3, 2008

Winslow was birdwatching this morning. He likes to go out on the deck early, while it's still cool and watch the birds. They aren't afraid of him. This is hard to photograph, but hopefully you can see the little bird sitting about 6 feet from him. He loves that. What he doesn't like is BLUE JAYS.

The 2nd photo is from this afternoon, after his swim. "I'll smile, but I'm tired and I won't pick up my head, so don't ask".

It's nice and cool in the house. He wouldn't even think of going for his 5:00 walk. He's waiting until after dark.

Glynis

Winslowbird.jpg

Winslowtired.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

oHHHH Winslow we think of you often and we wuv You!!!!!! You are bird watching, how cute you are!!!!!!!!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub: It is always Great to hear a update on Winslow, thanks! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

September 4, 2008

I sent an email to Glynis asking if Winslow is ready for the hurricane. Here is the repsonse:

Winslow has been watching the weather channel.

I' ve asked him how he feels about the predicted rainfall associated with Hurricane Hanna. He had this response:

"I know how to swim. I've been taking swimming lessons for a year and a half. I love the water. Heck, I don't even wear my raincoat any more!

BRING IT ON! I can't wait to backstroke down the street!"...

If that happens, I'll be sure to make a video!

In reality, we will get wind and rain, but probably nothing too serious.. I think we're pretty far inland.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

September 6, 2008

I emailed Winslow to see how they are regarding the storm, Hanna:

It's raining and blowing like crazy here. Winslow has been watching the flash flood warnings.

He's gathered his favorite things, just in case. Says he's not leaving without them. (We aren't evacuating.)

2 Lambies, a Kong and his kitchen beddie.

Winslowstorm.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits