Winslow's Diary

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paulamariez

Winslow, you are one beautiful boy! You continue to inspire us all! Keep up the good work with your painting! You are one talented hound! What a wonderful boy! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Winslow some more doggie kisses too!

May 21, 2008

Craig is still in NYC. It's still cold here- 60 this morning. Winslow enjoying his new screen doors.

I installed the new ac. It was easy and not visible from the street. I tested it and the entire area dropped 2 degrees in 45 minutes. It really puts out the cold air. It should help keep the downstairs cool so the big unit doesn't have to work as hard.

If he's really hot, Winslow can lay in front of it and freeze himself silly.

Maybe upstairs will finally get warm enough that my nose stops running.

I think this was a good deal. I'll let you know if it ever gets warm enough to actually use it.

This time last year, it was in the 90's here. Winslow was just heating up. That has increasingly worsened over the last year. His comfort zone now ends at 70 degrees.

I'm going to buy a chest freezer, turn it sideways, rip off the door and put a dog bed inside.

That's next.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Being a geek-by-proxy (DH has 3 engineering degrees),...well, okay, I'm a geek in my own right..., it occurred to me that Winslow should have a cooling bed. I knew heated beds existed, but I wasn't sure about cooled beds, but I found these on-line:

http://www.fancypaws.com/caninecooler.html

Another link for the same product:

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/1095

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...;c=3307+25&

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod...11111&rel=1

Here's a dual-function heat and cooled bed, but I don't think Winslow would want his biskie money spent on a heater.

http://www.dolcevitapets.com/product.cfm?pID=5

There's also this other gadget from Drs. Forster & Smith:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod...=9441&rel=1

Here are a bunch of different gadgets on this page:

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Canine-Cooler-Pet-Bed.aspx

Okay, I'll stop now. Once I get started on something, I can't stop.

Have a cool summer Winslow. We have a pool here in VT if you want to come and use it.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Hi Diane,

Someone on GT was nice enough to post links about cooling beds for Winslow.

Oh, if it were so easy!

Sadly, Mr. Hotstuff will have nothing to do with them. Do you remember when we tried one last year?

Every time he stepped on it, he backed away. There's something about the way they feel under his feet.

I gave away his beanbag for the same reason. Since his amp, he feels insecure about what he steps on.

We even had some problem in the softer sand at the beach.

I have considered getting a chillow pillow for him. He likes to have a pillow in bed and it might help. The only hesitation I have is that it's filled with water and Craig and I sleep on that bed, too. If Winslow ever punctured it, we would be in for some

seriously soggy nights. I already sleep in a hoodie. Don't fancy the idea of wearing a wetsuit to bed.

Although this AC is an expensive solution, I think it's the only way to actually keep Winslow absolutely cool, on the bed, on the sofa, on his dog beds, and in the kitchen, without driving our electric bill through the roof. We continue to run fanny full time and take a water bottle for spritzing on walks, although he hates it. Oddly he loves to swim and shower but doesn't like to have a wet towel on him or be spritzed gently. Weirdo. Spoiled Wierdo.

Winslow had a good swim today! 15 laps. The woman with all the whippets was there (with all the whippets). She commented on how good he looks. She hasn't seen him since Nov. He has been really happy and playful lately. He was doing the happy dance between laps and last night he took a toy outside and was throwing it around the yard.

Now, he's zonked out.

We thank Daisy Doodle for the suggestions, and are open to any others.

Anything to chill the hound. Oh, pass me a hoodie, PLEASE!

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest paulamariez

Poor hot Winslow! I can relate to having a "hot dog"! Our first grey Chief, had arthritis, high blood pressure and suffered from lung and heart problems from an enlarged heart, (from undiagnosed high blood pressure). He was on a bunch of meds and was HOT all of the time. During the summer, we kept our A/C running from the minute it got warm outside. We kept it at some obnoxiously cold temperature and people would come over and have to borrow clothes to keep warm. During the winter, our heat was set at 57 degrees at night and only sixty something during the day! We did anything to keep our precious boy comfortable. Funny thing was, we actually ended up getting used to the cold house temperature and still like to sleep with it extremely cold at night! Yes, our bills were horrendously high, but like I said, we were willing to do anything to keep our beloved Chief comfortable. He gave us many years of love and companionship and it was the least we could do for our old boy, Chief, to make his last years comfy. Pets and kisses to Winslow!

May 29, 2008

Hi Diane,

We have company from NY and Winslow is having fun with them. Swimming today was good.

Have you seen this. We thought it was pretty funny. Someone contacted me about using photos a long time ago and I told them go ahead, anything to help OSU. I didn't know they actually did it. Stumbled on this one by accident.

We hope all is well at your house.

Things are good here,

More later.

G.

Brochure

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Ooooooooh Nooooooo!!! He'll have an even bigger head now that he's a 'journalist' too!!!

(I think he needs a hat with a press pass...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• 2 weeks later...

June 10, 2008

It's 100 degrees here. It's been 100 degrees since Sat. only going down to 85 at night.

All vents are closed upstairs, so it's warm up here. All vents open downstairs. Big AC, Little AC, and Fanny all running like crazy.

I brought a hose up on the deck so Winslow could get a shower if he's still hot. He really liked it.

The big news around here is that WINSLOW IS SHEDDING! It started last week and I thought it was just a little shed to welcome spring.

But no! The boy is really shedding! He's losing all that fuzz. No real hair! just all the fluff.

I'm hacking up hairballs like a cat! With all the AC activity, it's blowing all over the house. It's a real mess, but we're glad to see it.

I think this is a sign that his body is finally returning to normal after all the chemo. Hopefully he'll be cooler, too!

I brush and vacuum him every day. It's everywhere. Here's a photo.

2008_0608newpaintings0011.jpg

(More on the notecards later. It's too hot to work on it up here. My computer is freaking out from the heat.)

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Keep shedding Winslow!!

Frozen peas. Seriously. We keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. When Battle has trouble cooling down in this heat, we shove a bag of frozen peas under his chest. Cools him for about a half hour and then he'll settle down comfortably.

When the peas are thawed, we refreeze. After a few times, they get mixed in the boys dinner. Heck, for 99cents a bag, it's a quick cool down alternative.

I :heart Winslow.

Winslow was reading GT today and is wondering how Darcy Deerhound is doing? He's in love with her, you know

Hi Winslow :wave

I'm glad to hear that you are shedding some of your hot-stuff-fur and that you might be a little cooler soon :D

This is a recent picture of me and you may notice that I am not shedding. Oh no - I am GROWING my new fur and if you look very closely, you can even see the start of my new beared and new windscreen-wipers (eyebrows) :D

darcy010608c.jpg

On Monday of next week, it will be 16th of the month and that means another celebration for me. This time around when we hit the 16th, I will be celebrating 8 months post amp. My people hardly dare think of it until we reach the actual date.

I hope to be able to show you some more pictures of me shortly - maybe ones where I'm actually doing something active - but I'd not recommend that you hold your breath because what I love to do best of all is sleep and be waited on :D

Love, Darcy

xx

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

June 13, 2008

Hi Diane,

Well, we survived the heat wave. It's a few degrees cooler now. Between Winslow's new "shower" on the deck, the mutiple AC and fans and various bags of frozen veggies, Winslow was quite cool.

Now the BIG NEWS! (drumroll goes here).

WINSLOW'S SHOP- located at www.winslowshop.com

Today, we are launching the first of a series of Winslow inspired items on his own BLOG/STORE! You know how he loves to surf the web. Well, he's decided to be part of the action.

I guess selling his paintings at auctions just isn't enough for the boy. He does love his charities! All proceeds from the shop go to Greyhound Angel Network and will be split 50/50 with the Greyhound Health and Wellness program at OSU.

For his grand opening, he's offering a special, so you will want to check it out.

There is also subscription feature so folks can be notified when new items are added.

He's been online trying to order everything he sees. I told him we had to take it slow and see how it goes. WHOA! I don't need 1,000 Winslow coffee mugs, not just yet anyway.

In other news, Winslow has a message for Darcy:

Dear Darcy,

You look positively stunning. If you need some extra hair, I would be happy to send mine to you.

I'm very happy that you are celebrating another cancer free month. I also celebrate each month! I never thought I could have so many parties!

Congratulations! Stay healthy, beautiful girl! The photos of you are fabulous. It's ok if you don't do anything. I spend most of my time sleeping, too.

Love,

Winslow

Photo attached.

storeopening.jpg

Well, I guess that's it for the day. Winslow was busy dictating his text this morning, reading GT and I think he's done for the day. Now, maybe I can get some of my own work done!

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

June 19, 2008

Hi Diane,

How's everything in TX. I bet it's hot. We hope your pack is doing well.

We got a break with some rain and a cold front, but Winslow still insist on his "personal AC". I see they are now available at Home Depot.

I think it really got him through the heat wave and kept our central air from working overtime.

Winslow went swimming yesterday. He's perfected the art of CHEATING. After he's done a few laps, he tries to turn around really early to shorten the lap.

I guess he thinks I won't notice that he goes in and turns around 10 feet later. He comes out wagging and grinning like he did something really special. I do have some control over it, so if I force him to NOT turn, he goes to the end of the pool, comes out and gives me a grunt and a dirty look. Everyone was watching him and laughing at it. He's quite the showman.

I painted with Becky yesterday afternoon. During the break, I did Winslow's nails. After I took the muzzle off, I gave it to him so he could get the last of the peanut butter, which he did. I went back to painting. He came in to watch us and was very interested. About an hour later, I looked in on him. He was on the bed, WEARING HIS MUZZLE. Yes, he had it on, upside down. Just sitting there looking at me. I think he really wanted to paint. I would not have believed this myself had Becky not been there with me to see it. Some things are ever amazing.

On a health note: Since Winslow started swimming again I have increased some of his food to keep his weight up. It now requires some extra yogurt in his morning egg. SO, the 11:AM egg is now 1 cooked egg, 2 tbl. nonfat yogurt and I moved his afternoon burpdog biscuit to this, crushed. A really good treat and just enough to keep that weight steady at 77.4 lbs.

Since he's not getting the carbs, he burns his food more when he gets the exercise (ala south beach diet).

Winslow is getting even more exercise running to the mailbox to send out orders and to look for the NEW MERCHANDISE that will be arriving soon for his shop!

We are very surprised at the response! He gets far more traffic than my website and my blog. I've ordered his return address labels and business cards. He wants to be professional. "Ok, Winslow, but NO to the business suit, the secretary, the new computer and your own office! You are NON PROFIT, remember? NO, I'M NOT PAYING FOR ALL THAT STUFF!!"

I'm off to get more packaging this morning while Winslow shops online for coffee mugs. OY!

So everything is pretty normal here.

We browsed GT briefly this morning.

Winslow sends his love and kisses to Darcy, as usual.

We are both sending hugs to Design and her mom. Winslow is cheering for her...

I noticed that Queenwinnies mom suggested artemisinin to her. GOOD ADVISE.

(Ah, Queenwinnie.... she was our role model and inspiration during some very dark hours.

Winslow had the priviledge of meeting her once, years ago. We think of her often.)

(If designsmom wants my email, Diane, you know it's ok to give it out).

Onward!

Glynis and Winslow.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest BlackandBrindle

So glad to hear the update! Winslow, you are an inspiration to me (as are your mom and dad) :kiss2

I ordered Winslow cards! I got them and they even came with a special Winslow smooch :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Diane,

I know Glynnis and Winslow read GT, but if they don't have a chance to read this thread again... I know Winslow's busy with the mugs and all.

Could you ask Glynnis how she makes Winslow's peanut butter muzzle? I think it may come in handy.

Thanks!

kerri - (Who is absolutely :inlove with the Sir Winslow the Fuzzy)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Thanks Diane.

I'm off to have my eyes checked. Seems I read this thread 3 times and missed that post completely. :headwall

I just subscribed to the Winslow shop feed. I love the postcards, but I think I'm going to hold out until I see more offerings. That way I can order a bunch of stuff at once! :-)

BTW, just reading the "about Winslow" section made me teary. Glynis, Winslow is one lucky boy. All of our dogs would be so lucky to have an adopter like you! But it's nice to see that he's holding up his end of the bargain at least. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm sitting here at work with tears in my eyes. Glynis had told me some time ago what an inspiration Winnie was to her, but right now, it really helps to hear that again. I think I've missed some of this thread (as well as many others) because I haven't been online as much. My best friend is dying of cancer---it hurts just to type those words, it makes it too damn real.

So Winslow---now you are MY inspiration! Thank-you to Diane for bringing us his story, thanks always to Glynis, who is an angel, and of course, much hugs and love to the boy, forever amazing, who always makes us smile.

This may have been the first time Glynis saw Winnie--Dewey in Oct., after her amputation in June 2004. She pulled me all over Dewey that year, and for 2 years after that.

Didn't mean to hijack this wonderful thread---just wanted to say thanks!

Winnieonthebeach.jpg

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown