Recommendations on car for family with multiple greyhounds

Grand Caravan.  I have been driving them for over 20 years now.  Never had a crib lizard in any of them.  :star

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I have a 2016 Chrysler Town & Country van, purchased used. No kids, just dogs. You'll need the middle row seats for your future kids but I love that they are stow-and-go (the seats, not the kids). Third row seats also stow down so you'd have a flat surface for the dogs.

I purchased the van from a neighbor who was the used car manager/purchaser, so I can confidence that it wasn't a lemon. A few years later it did have some major issues: sliding door wouldn't completely close and a thingamajig connecting wiring for the heater/defrost melted. The newer Chrysler vans look sweet but have had problems too.

My advice: Look up recall issues for whatever brand you are considering.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have a Honda Odyssey. I love it!  It's low enough on the side doors for my blind greyhound to get in and out without him being anxious/scared.  I keep the last row seats up so that I can carry things (groceries, etc.) in the way back and the dogs in the  middle area.  Of course, with kids coming, you'd want to do the reverse.  Good luck!

I've got an Odyssey, too, I really like mine, good on gas and lots of room for all of us. The collision avoidance can be a little touchy at times, it's put on the auto braking for a shadow on the road, which is NOT helpful when passing a semi.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

A lot depends on what kind of vehicle you want.  Some are vehemently opposed to minivans, while others wouldn't want an SUV.  Then there's the issue of what kind of powertrain - gas, electric, hybrid.  Four wheel drive or all wheel drive??  What kind of money are you looking to spend??  How are you planning on securing your dogs - will they be loose in the back, in crates for safety?  

I've had Great Danes in a Jeep Cherokee.  My greyhounds have been in Priuses and now a RAV4, though I really wanted a Highlander or a 4Runner.   Or maybe there's a different brand suits you better.

It's all in what you want to pay for right now.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If I'm reading your question correctly, you'd like suggestions on vehicles that work for transporting the kids and the dogs simultaneously? There aren't too many folks with kids who post here anymore but you'll get a good variety of ideas for dog mobiles :)

We have a 2020 Subaru Forester and two 62# greyhounds. We were homeless looking for a new home all of last year, and packed the Forester from top to bottom with stuff for all of us for all four seasons since we didn't know how long we'd be looking (as it turned out, it was all four seasons :lol). Packing and unpacking at the multiple AirBnBs where we stayed was time consuming but easy. The dogs rode in a hammock in the middle, our stuff was in the way back and it worked really well for us. 

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

do you want all wheel drive? if so, toyota sienna- goes for ever. otherwise I LOVE LOVE LOVE my honda odyssey. I happen to believe in crating dogs, especially in a mini-van. check out the dimensions of the width and crates for rear, lift gate crating. i fit 2 whippet size crates in the rear. all of the shapes and sizes have changed especially with the newer airline specifications. i currently picked up a Magnum crate- it looks like a vari-kennel x airstream camper cross- not as wide and nice and tall. a greyhound will most likely not fit into the ruffland x-large kennel. they are only 28" tall vs. the Magnum with is 33.5"

my dogs fly all over the odyssey when not crated. but stay put in the smaller contained space of the CRV or a sedan. Still crating is the safest, especially if your going to have kidlets in the car.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:35 PM, soccerblue77 said:

Hi everyone,

We currently have 2 male greyhounds and are planning on starting a family, so we are looking to upgrade our car. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on family vehicles that also fit their greyhounds. 

Thank you

I think what we need is a bit more information.

Is there a type of vehicle you prefer?

Which country are you in?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a Chrysler Pacifica just a week ago, primarily as a hound hauler.  Our three greys and a Corgi have plenty of room in it.  I think all the minivans are about equal in size, mpg, and features.  My wife chose the Pacifica because of the 2nd and 3rd row seats that fold down to form a nearly flat floor.  Unlike the competition, the Pacifica has no holes or protruding brackets in the floor nor does it require seat removal to gain the space.  She hasn't driven it enough to make a long-term report.

• 4 weeks later...

I find minivans are the best. You can put the back seats down and still have the middle seats for the kids. I've had minivans since 2000 and greyhounds since 2003, as many as 5 at one time. I currently have 2, Buddy and Princess.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

I have a 2013 Sienna and love it.  We have had three larger greyhounds in it with no problem.  It was time to buy a new van and there have literally been no vans available.  When they advertise Toyotas on TV, they never show a van.  So, we still have the van and bought a Subaru Outback.  I can't tell you how Odin fits as he has not been in it.  I am able to let him into the van thru the side slide.  I don't think he can jump up into the Outback.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 2 weeks later...