New Greyhound Blood Donor

greysmom

Andi was just approved to join the ranks of the blood donor cohort at our local emergency hospital.  I have to admit, I don't know all that much about their blood itself.  I didn't know they had 43 blood types or what that even means!

The clinic said she was a Universal Negative blood type (DEA negative 1,5,7 Positive 4) but again, I don't really know what that means.  I'll research myself, and ask at the clinic, but I thought I'd put this out there for the GT hive mind, too!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:thumbs-up

I’ve had blood donor dogs for many years.
Mona, our young Dobe, had a severe bleeding disorder and a blood product was needed so she could have her spay. Life Stream Animal Blood Bank collected blood from BillieJean GSDx and Bandit PointerX for over a year. You can read our story here.    https://www.animalbloodbank.ca/donor-tails

Following along in Billie and Bandits footsteps, our Nixon, Ruby Nigel and Sid have all been donors   :wub:

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

As I recall, dog universal donors are the equivalent of the human type O negative, where their blood will not cause a bad reaction in the donee.  (Is that a word?)  Greyhounds have a higher % of universal donors than other breeds.  30% comes to mind; I'm too lazy to research this.  Plus, greyhounds have a higher % of red blood cells than other breeds, because this aids in getting oxygen around the body when they're running.  That is also good for a dog in need of blood.  As a bonus, our greyhounds are so calm that they just lie down and enjoy all the petting while they are donating, while some other dogs have to be sedated.  My dear Bazzy was a universal donor and in his younger years was a standby donor in case of emergencies at our local vet.  He was only needed once.  Andi will love it -- she'll get lots of attention and praise, and a :dogcookie!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:yay Andi! :yay 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I know nothing about greyhound blood but as above, I know that I human universal donor is a valuable thing. It basically means that the red blood cells have no indicators on the cells which would allow the recipient immune system to identify the cells as foreign. If this happens, it causes a reaction that would result in blood clots forming which would endanger the recipient. I also read recently that greyhounds have a higher percentage of universal donors. Well done Andi! The gift of blood is a special and generous one.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:yay

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

FYI Update:  She goes in for her first donation on Sunday!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yay, Andi! :kiss2 Hope all goes well on Sunday and you score lots of :dogcookie! And thank you to all our houndie and human donors. :bow

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart