Jeter with elevated liver values

Just catching up on this thread.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope whatever is bothering Jeter can be treated successfully.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Significantly enlarged spleen.  No sign of tumors on xrays or ultrasound.  Vet doesn't want to biopsy spleen for fear of internal bleeding.  Basic bloodwork all normal, including liver.  Heartworm, Lyme, and ehrlichia tests negative.  Babesiosis test to be done with CDC (complete blood test) and results due back on Friday.  It's a mystery.  Vet sent consult request to Dr Couto this evening.  

Jeter ate a little more on the Cerenia the past few days, and vet said it also  is a mild analgesic, but he is totally wiped out tonight and has refused everything.  Gelsey welcomed him back so enthusiastically she almost knocked him down.  Right now he's sleeping on the dogbed next to the computer, with me turning around every few minutes to make sure he's still breathing.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Hoping you all have a comfortable night and a good day tomorrow.   :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Maybe mirtazapine would help more with his appetite? It has worked pretty well for Sweep after chemo, in conjunction with Cerenia. Might be worth asking. 

Mystery illnesses are the worst. Hopefully Dr. Couto will have some insight.

:grouphug 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

enlarged spleen can be the result of lepto. 

lettuce had a mystery illness- 105 fever-and we were concerned about possible pyrometria. the ultra sound showed enlarged spleen hence the e vet thought lepto. the e vet happened to be the excellent clinic in denver(the Almadea East VCA). with my input, since they never considered any of the lyme diseases- colorado doesn't deal w/ lyme) she was put on 2 heavy duty antibiotics.

i.v. fluids did bring her fever down by the end of the day admitted and she never did finish going into season. but it was a mystery after$ 2700 worth of diagnostics and intensive care. all i know is i'm glad her brain was not fried and she responded so well to the antibiotics. 

ellen, ZOFRAN, is a lot cheaper than Cerenia and works really really well. Cerenia can be administered via injection. But I have had(personally & with dogs) great  results with Zofran.

Edited by cleptogrey

Complete blood work back; everything to do with red blood cells low and white cell count mildly high.  Excerpts from Dr Couto's initial thoughts; e-mailed this morning (Sat.):

the non-regenerative anemia and thrombocytopenia associated with marked splenomegaly are consistent with either hematopoietic neoplasia (lymphoma, histiocytic sarcoma, etc), bone marrow hypoplasia (infectious, immune-mediated, etc) with secondary splenic extramedullary hematopoiesis and lymphoreticular hyperplasia, and selected infectious diseases. You have already excluded the common infectious diseases with your SNAP 4DX PLUS; as we discussed before, babesiosis is uncommon, but (rarely) it can result in non-regenerative anemia. As I mentioned in the previous email, my first approach in this situation is to do a fine needle aspirate of the spleen for cytology. 

If you have an IDEXX in-house hematology analyzer (LaserCyte, ProCyte Dx, or ProCyte One), the graphics may be helpful in identifying the underlying cause. When a pathologist looks at a slide, he/she evaluates a few dozen cells (100?); the analyzer evaluates >10,000.
Ellen, I know this is a lot of technical jargon, but I am sure Dr. Ben (or myself) can “translate”.  ...
More soon,

Guillermo

My vet was thinking possible lymphoma after the ultrasound a few days ago, and that is the first possibility Dr Couto lists above.  I'm googling my way through the rest.  Histiocytic sarcoma is an "aggressive cancer."  So far, it looks like I should be rooting for immune-mediated bone marrow hypoplasia.  

I called vet yesterday to ask for more help with Jeter's lack of appetite.  Our regular vet wasn't there and other vet gave us Entyce.  He had a Milk-Bones brushing chew and a few bites of chicken breast for breakfast this morning.  Oddly enough, the brushing chews have been the one thing he will consistently eat (knock on wood).  At least he isn't vomiting.  I will talk with the regular vet on Monday.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Jamie had lymphoma.  My vet treats it first with steroids. Then if there is improvement a cancer drug that has very few side effects. The FNA from his lymph node was sent off to U. Of Co. I believe ANTECH lab. Their oncologists' consult was included in the diagnostic work. Jamie lasted a week on steroids.

Ellen, how are you and Jeter this morning?  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jeter is sticking to his program of eating a Milk-Bone brushing chew, a few bites of some sort of meat, and that's it.  I have been offering a variety of foods and he just rejects them almost all the time, or he picks one to eat his few bites.  I am cooking more for him than I am for me.  

I lost my composure a couple of times today.  One was when I realized I had grossly underdosed the Entyce appetite stimulant on Friday and Saturday.   I gave correct dose this afternoon, but it usually takes 2 days to take effect.  Then I started swearing and yelling at Milo -- he is being such a s### and bullying Jeter when he's down.  I know I shouldn't get mad for Milo just being a dog, but ... .  

Tomorrow (Mon.) morning is the talk with the regular vet and, depending on the diagnosis, decision time.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen :grouphug. Try to extend yourself some grace. None of this is easy. It's been a rough weekend here too emotionally, and I'm trying to tell myself the same. Unfortunately, we're not dogs living in the moment but merely poor flawed humans doing the best we can. Milo is probably sensing the stress (Richard the cat has also been quite the turd lately). I hope the Entyce works and that the news tomorrow brings some hope. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I’m sure that everyone here has shouted at their pet at some point because no matter how much we love them, they can be a bit annoying just by doing what they do. I know I have and not when I’ve been under the amount of stress that you are now. Good luck for you today, I hope that you get some good news.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Jeter ate last night!  About 3/4 of a regular meal, but more than he's eaten in a week!  If he can eat enough, then I can consider treatment that might extend his life if that is an option otherwise.  

In other breaking news, Milo has solved the problem of not getting all the good food Jeter is by bringing in his own rabbit rations.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Jeter scheduled for fine needle aspirate of spleen on Weds to see if we can determine if he has the kind of lymphoma that presents first in the spleen.  If it is, or even if it is nonconclusive, we will try treating a middle-of-the-road choice with the goal of buying him 8-10 months.  I don't think he could tolerate the gold-standard treatment, which is a lot lot lot of chemo via transfusion.  If results say another kind of cancer, I will let him go.  Please think good thoughts for him, one step at a time.  The fine needle aspirate is a little risky because his platelets (clotting) are low.  

Milo and Gelsey disposed of the rabbit tartar, but it took Milo a couple of second tries via regurgitation.  Gelsey is now whining that she is starving, STARVING, STARVING.    

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Have been following from a distance, Ellen. All best thoughts for your boy tomorrow. 

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Paws, fingers and toes all crossed here for Jeter.  Keep eating, buddy. 

Milo - well, he's just being Milo...:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life