Jeter with elevated liver values

I had today off work and decided to take Jeter to the vet.  He's been a little more subdued, and with decreased appetite the last few days.  He eventually eats everything, but sometimes it takes a while.  He hasn't lost any weight.  Vet said probably reflux and recommended I give him Prilosec OT.  Then vet said, let's run a blood panel just in case.

Some of his liver enzymes are elevated.  ALT is 333; normal range 10-125.  (Jeter's ALT two years ago was 54.)  GGT is 44; normal range 0-11.  ALP and total bilirubin are both high normals.  Cholesterol , amylase, and lipase are normal, as are the rest of the chemistry values.

Vet said it's hard to tell what the cause is at this stage.  Acute liver infection, chronic liver disease, liver cancer, other cancer.   Probably not GI or gall bladder issues because he would be sicker or other levels would be elevated.  He's not drinking/urinating more, so maybe not Cushings.  Vet sent us home with antibiotics and denamarin.  We're to go back in 2 weeks to recheck levels.  Ultrasound and liver biopsy may be in Jeter's future, depending on results.  

I've been reading liver threads in this forum and found them helpful.  For one thing, I've learned that other dogs have been diagnosed when their levels were way higher, so maybe we've found whatever it is in the early stages.  And another thing, I can buy denamarin or other supplements over the counter.

Jeter will be 11 in November.  He and Milo, who's about the same age, have been remarkably healthy.  I hope whatever Jeter's problems are can be managed, but our lucky streak feels like it's run out.  Good wishes for my sweet doofus boy would be appreciated.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending good vibes to Jeter and to his awesome mom, whose great sense of humor has brought a smile to many of us when we needed it. You've both got this! :grouphug A smooch for Milo and Gelsey too, just because. :kiss2 

Edited by ramonaghan
forgot the young'un!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Feel better soon, Jeter.   We want to hear a story from your Mom soon where you are :bounce1

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1.  What is this?  Denamarin, specifically marketed for dogs, is not a chewable?  The antibiotic is a chewable.  The acid reducer is a tiny little pill.  But the denamarin is a frickin' big bird's egg of a pill -- it's even colored robin's egg blue.  And he has to have 2 of them 2x a day.  Good thing I've already established my ruthlessness in getting pills down dogs' throats.  But since the last time I had to do it, I've developed a syndrome which includes tingling fingers and I've also got some low-level carpel tunnel going on.  But we got 'er done.  

2.  Diet for liver problems.  Some people say not much fish.  Others say omega 3 oil is good.  Is this a conflict?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

One of my campers had an elevated ALT. We started milk thistle and vitamin E and after a few months the ALT level was completely normal 

Hang in there Jeter, and mom :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

i like your vet's approach- antibiotics and recheck. once you have the recheck your vet will most likely prescribe the correct food for him.

just open that mouth and shove your  hand down his throat as far as it can go- that will get those mega pills down. i have never hidden pills, just hand down the gullet.

my last saluki had a bile duct that would clog and clear out- his urine was awful then went from dark tea/coke to clear in a matter of hours. it took more than a year for it to manifest into a tumor- no testing was done, just watching. azim, who survived parvo, lived a normal life until the last 2 months. he lived to 12. 

anything over 10 for a big dog is a good long life- hoping for a good long ancient life for Jeter

When Conner got sick (vomiting every few hours, even when there was nothing left to come up) I took him to the e-vet and they did blood tests and an ultrasound. Found nodules on his liver and elevated liver levels :( I was sure it was cancer. We never did figure out what made him sick, but his levels went back to normal, the nodules never developed into anything, and he was fine. Not a vet (or play one on TV) but it does seem that infection or illness elsewhere will temporarily send liver values out of whack. Hope this is all it is for Jeter :grouphug

Thanks for the encouraging words.  

Jeter has now decided he doesn't like the chewable antibiotic.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

1 hour ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Thanks for the encouraging words.  

Jeter has now decided he doesn't like the chewable antibiotic.  

Sweep's policy is, if the packaging says any variation of "chewable!" or "dogs love the taste!" she will avoid it at all costs. She has also begun associating pill pockets with nasty meds. Liverwurst has been our friend, as gross as I find it. Might be worth a shot.

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Val agrees with Sweep, no “chewables” for her :lol I have resorted to breaking them into small pieces and doing the shove down the throat method. For her regular daily meds I wrap them in Velveeta. Velveeta is better than any other processed cheese slices for this :D

Ellen, check for a text message from me... text didn't go through so I sent you screenshots via our GT messaging.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Su agrees with Sweep & Val. If it's chewable & says your dog will love it, it is clearly a poison to be avoided at all cost. She wishes they would make something like, "New Improved Cat Poop Flavor. Your dog will love taking their medicine in Pooptsie Roll form."

My guy Luke should up with liver enzymes out of whack. Ultrasound found nothing of note. A round of antibiotics later and he was okay. We'll never know why.

My boyfriend has a history of intermittent liver enzyme elevation. He did end up doing the liver biopsy. It should there had been some sort of damage from unknown cause but things were healing. Do not ask me what they found that helped form their conclusions. We did go back through records and each time things were out of range it was after he'd had an injury and took naproxen as prescribed by a doctor.

My sister's dog, a Boston terrier x French Bulldog, had a situation very much like Remolacha's Conner. They eventually did a liver biopsy that was inconclusive. In the end, liver problem never amounted to more. He passed when very senior of unrelated issues.

There! I've been absolutely no help at all. But I do send good wishes for Jeter.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up visit yesterday and good news was liver values were back in the normal range, as was everything else. :yay  Also, Jeter had not lost any weight although this puzzles me because he is only eating about half his regular amount, plus extra treats.  But he clearly does not feel well.  Energy level low and it takes a lot of offers to get him to eat.  

Vet thinks it might be reaction to pain.  His teeth are bad on the sides, where the dental chews don't help.  But the two things he is eager to eat are the dental chews and milk-bones, both hard and crunchy.  He's also a little sensitive around his lumbrosacral joint, but the vet pointed out that he has excellent muscle mass "for an older dude"  and the only change I can see is that he's a little awkward getting off the sofa.  

His stomach has always been a little delicate; he's thrown up about 1x a month for years.  Sometimes bile; sometimes food that has sat in his stomach undigested for hours.  

He's on another 2 weeks of antibiotics and vet wants to do a dental then if bloodwork still looks good.  Vet says with normal bloodwork and weight holding steady, it is unnecessary to do an ultrasound but that if I want, he could get one when he's under for the dental.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, other than what I already sent you there were no additional posts on FB.

Sounds like you have a good plan.  :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Good news on the bloodwork! Hope Jeter is cleared for a dental and improves from there. :goodluck Please keep us posted.

Sounds like your vet has a sensible approach. If he can't take meloxican then ask about  adequan injections.

If your vet wants to try meloxican then pecid a.c prior to feeding, meloxican after feeding. Meloxican is once a day. The generic does not work as well .

Felix was on both for his arthritic lumbar. It kept him comfortable and in good enough shape to play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jeter not doing as well.  Still not eating much and now has lost weight.  Rear end weaker.  Took him in this morning (Mon.) and vet thinks he could feel an enlarged liver, which he couldn't before.

X-rays and ultrasound scheduled for this Weds., only because they couldn't fit him in tomorrow.  I gave them Dr Couto's contact info for when we have images to send.  Jeter now has cerenia pills to see if that helps appetite any.  He ate the roast beef out of a sandwich on our way home.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Here's hoping that Jeter gets some promising results on Wednesday. Sending good vibes! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life