Jeter with elevated liver values

Thinking of you, Jeter, and the bunny connoisseurs this morning.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeter came through fine needle aspirate ok.  Wobbly from sedatives, but ate a little chicken last night and was interested in pre-brekkie this morning.  Will try some more later.  Blood work shows decline from four days ago and a possible complication that Jeter and I are just not going to think about.  I put my angel Nutmeg's assist harness on him last night; the last thing he needs is something black and slimming :) but it gives me more peace of mind.  Waiting to see results from the aspirate tomorrow (Fri.).  I've e-mailed the vet about if results are favorable for treatment, will we have to wait the weekend or could I pre-order the drugs now, even knowing they may not be used.  

Just curious as to which lab his FNA is being s3nt to? Will an oncologist evaluate it? 

INDEXX.  Dr Couto will evaluate results.  He is being super about being right on top of this.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks, all.  We really appreciate the support.  Vet tells me we have no choice but to hurry up and wait.   (Need an icon for thumb-twiddling here)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

We'll wring our hands here too.  Maybe it will move things along..  Hang in there, Jeter. 

We had Dr Cuoto do a consult for some Ortho issues for Rocket. At the time he was on the other side of the world and the response was incredibly fast and thorough.  We've been lucky enough to meet him briefly at 2 different events where he spoke. We are huge fans of Dr. Cuoto here. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Still a mystery.  Here's the spleen aspirate report, which I'm not sure is in English:

6 slides are examined that have a dense background of blood with occasional stromal aggregates of splenic red pulp. Nucleated cells are distributed individually, and comprise mostly a population of erythroid precursors, ranging from rare prorubricytes through to many rubricytes, and a large number of metarubricytes. Fewer but still increased granulocytic precursors are scattered individually across the slides, and rare megakaryocytes are seen. There is also a mixed population of lymphocytes, dominated by small mature cells, with occasional plasma cells and intermediate sized variants. MICROSCOPIC INTERPRETATION: Marked extramedullary hematopoiesis with reactive lymphoid hyperplasia (see comment) COMMENTS: The samples are highly cellular, and contain mostly an expanded population of erythroid precursors, most supportive of an appropriate response by the spleen toward the patient's anemia, though the effort appears to be ineffective at this time given the presence of a non-regenerative anemia. The extra medullary hematopoiesis is accompanied by mild reactive lymphoid hyperplasia, secondary to antigenic stimulation in the patient. No neoplastic cells are seen in the samples, nor any evidence of inflammation or infection. Correlate with clinical impressions, and serial monitoring of the spleen with treatment of the underlying anemia is recommended. 

Here's Dr Couto's take on it:

How is Jeter doing? I was able to review the digital images of the cytology on the IDEXX VetConnect Plus website, and in the second image, I am concerned that some of the intact lymphoid cells may be abnormal (ie; lymphoma). Moreover, there are abundant free nuclei (broken cells); as a general rule, I tend to associate that with the presence of abnormal cells, that are more fragile. 

At this time, there are several potential options:
1. Request a PARR from the cytology slides you submitted in order to determine if the lymphoid cells are reactive or neoplastic.
2. Do a bone marrow aspirate for cytology.
3. Perform a splenectomy (as a general rule, in patients with non-regenerative anemia and extra medullary erythropoiesis I want to make sure that the bone marrow is working well before doing a splenectomy).
Please let me know how I can help; Ellen, I know this is a lot of medical “mumbo-jumbo”, so please let me know if I need to “translate”.

I messaged back and forth with regular vet this morning before Dr Couto's reply.  I was ready to put Jeter down; he had a bad night.  Vet said ok, but that he would "love" to try Jeter on prednisone.  My turn to say ok, since Jeter does not show signs of pain but is trying to live his normal life as much as possible.  Dogwalker says it is heartbreaking to have Jeter come up and ask for his leash to be put on so he can go on his beloved walks.  So we'll see if the prednisone helps any with the possible lymphoma, and if it helps his appetite, that would be ok too.   I e-mailed off a bunch of questions earlier.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Hoping the pred will help him turn the corner. We're all pulling for him. You're doing all the right things--good job, mom. :grouphug 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

He's eating!  Starting about 3 hours after the first prednisone, he began to ask for food! 

Still picky, can't eat a whole lot at a time, but he's eating!    

Waiting for Dr Couto's answers to my questions.  Not getting much info from the regular vet, so I guess he's waiting for Dr Couto, too.  

Braced for other prednisone side effects.  I'm guessing there won't be much wasting of muscle mass, because he doesn't have any muscle mass left.  Just skin and bones.  And a gigantic spleen.   And  big, soulful eyes.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

I'm sorry you still don't have clear answers, that's got to be horrible.  But it's great that he's hungry! Give him whatever he wants, and a smooch from me.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

unfortunately it sounds like what jamie went thru. first biopsy the cells were too immature to be conclusive. the second biopsy was conclusive and pointed us to steroids for initial treatment then if he responded well a cancer drug which would be administered by my vet for 3 months. he did not respond to the steroids- let's hope jeter is luckier.

we observant owners know our dogs too well and often pick up on symptoms before testing does. 

HUGS! 

Keep eating, Jeter. So glad to hear that you have an appetite. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Vet told me ahead of time that prednisone tends to make chemo for lymphoma afterward not as effective, but I chose it anyway just to keep Jeter alive.  I'm going to stick with the prednisone only, which if all goes well might get him a month or six weeks.  Or a few days.  Pursuing all these tests and procedures in hopes that it is not lymphoma feels like going down a rabbit hole with no end in sight except Jeter's, because I don't think he could stand up to it.  

We had a good day yesterday, and I hope many good days ahead.  That makes it worth it.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

1 hour ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Vet told me ahead of time that prednisone tends to make chemo for lymphoma afterward not as effective, but I chose it anyway just to keep Jeter alive.  I'm going to stick with the prednisone only, which if all goes well might get him a month or six weeks.  Or a few days.  Pursuing all these tests and procedures in hopes that it is not lymphoma feels like going down a rabbit hole with no end in sight except Jeter's, because I don't think he could stand up to it.  

We had a good day yesterday, and I hope many good days ahead.  That makes it worth it.  

I hope there are many more good days. We all love your boys! 

:grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.