Gemstone Names

There is probably a new girl in my near future. And I think most people know I name my girls after gemstones.

After Topaz, Onyx, Pearl, Diamond, Opal, Crystal, Jade, Tanzanite and Emerald names are getting hard.

Amethyst is off the list right now because the short name Amy sounds too close to my current girl Emma. And I keep hoping there's a blue or white/blue in my future, so I'm hesitant to use Sapphire.

So what do you guys think?

Anything that might relate to China or Australia?

Alexandrite? The "other" birthstone for June, rarer than diamonds. Alex or Alexa for short (assuming you don't have an Alexa :hehe )

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Garnet, Ruby, Citrine, Peridot (Peri for short), Moonstone (Moon), Beryl

My birthstone is aquamarine, but that's a bit of a mouthful for a dog's name. :)

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If you are prepared to extend the boundaries a bit - Jet, Amber (both of vegetable origin).

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Yay for new hounds!!

Moonstone

Lapis

Lazuli

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ooh, just saw Olivine (the mineral in peridot). I think that's quite pretty, but I do have a cat named Olive so I might be biased.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Amber is a favorite of mine (yes, I know it isn’t a mineral :) ) I think it would be great for a fawn or red brindle. Some of my favorite stones wouldn’t make good dog names, obsidian, malachite. Galena is a pretty name, and it’s a pretty mineral, but kind of dangerous. I like turquoise, but the tendency to shorten it to “turkey” might not be good :lol

Amber is a favorite of mine (yes, I know it isn’t a mineral :) ) I think it would be great for a fawn or red brindle. Some of my favorite stones wouldn’t make good dog names, obsidian, malachite. Galena is a pretty name, and it’s a pretty mineral, but kind of dangerous. I like turquoise, but the tendency to shorten it to “turkey” might not be good :lol

I was actually thinking turquoise. And calling her Turkey. :lol

And aquamarine was also high. Calling her Aqua.

Ruby I'd like to save for a fawn or brindle. Garnet is also high up there.

Flourite - Flora

Kyanite - Kya

Zoisite - Zoey

Do you know what color she is?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ooh, just saw Olivine (the mineral in peridot). I think that's quite pretty, but I do have a cat named Olive so I might be biased.

My dh's grandmother was Olivine and our granddaughter is Olive, so I like both these names too.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

Aventurine - Ave or Ava

Carnelian - Carny? :lol

Morganite - Morgan

Tiger Eye - Tiger

Rose Quartz - Rose

Snowflake Obsidian - Snowflake

Azurite - Azure

Selenite - Selena

Sunstone - Sunny

Agate - Aggie

I named a foster Jasper. He was a big red boy.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

How about Sapphire?

I LOVE sapphire....in more ways than one. Be brave!

Lapis unfortunately reminds me of my friends late grey who had more emotional, then physical things wrong with him some of the gems sound like names for super hero's!

Edited by cleptogrey

....some of the gems sound like names for super hero's!

... While Jasper for me is always associated with the old campfire song about wicked Sir Jasper, and his most immoral lady: http://campfire-songbook.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/songbook-43.htm

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.