Male Or Female?

I have my home visit this morning, and I initally was looking at getting a female. I am not sure if I should consider a male. Can anyody tell me if there are any pros or cons either way? My main "wish list" for lack of a better term, is:

Crate trained

House trained

quiet

gets along well with other dogs

likes walks

can do stairs

Would one sex be perferable over the other for this list? I realize I may not get everything, and I am willing to do what it takes to make this work, but I don't want to make a mistake and fail the dog.

No major pros or cons either way. You would need to be a little more vigilant with males about them not lifting their leg to mark territory in strange places, but not a big deal. I've never had one of my males mark inside my house. If you think you might ever have to carry an injured dog for any distance and it would make a difference having a 76-lb male vs a 66-lb female, then maybe a medium deal. But otherwise, I don't think there's consistent gender patterns on your wish list criteria.

Relax and enjoy your home visit, in which you'll get to talk greyhounds obsessively without anybody thinking you're nuts. And if a hound comes along on your home visit, be prepared to be overwhelmed at seeing such a big, beautiful creature in your space.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

No great difference in sexes, really. Females tend to be a bit more active - they always want to be involved and to "put on their tool belts" and help with everything going on. Males tend to be a bit more laid back, laissez-faire, live and let live sort of dogs. The absolute "laid-backest" of them all is a very large male, IMO! But big goof-balls tend to get overlooked because no one wants a *big* dog. It can be an issue if there's an injury, and you're by yourself, in getting them into the car and such, so you do have to consider big vs small, but I really love the big boys!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Boys are preferred at our house. Our girls are bossier.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Boys are usually more playful, but, that being said; all dogs are individual. Sometimes females are a little bossy. I only had one that was a mother hen. Pick the dog that you love; not by gender.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

As far as your list goes, there should be no difference between males and females.

I had always been a 'female' person until I went searching for my first Grey and the adoption gal strongly suggested I get a male, as our two current dogs were a very bonded, been-together-for-10-years 'pack' and she felt adding another female into the mix could be tricky.

So I came home with Nixon... and will forever be grateful that she pointed me in the direction of the boys.

Both Nixon and Nigel are laid back loveable cuddly Velcro hounds. They both sleep in my room.

Ruby is super friendly and laid back too...but only cuddly on her terms. She would never ever get on the couch if there was a person on it...only if it was vacant. And she sleeps all alone in the computer room on one of the grandkids beds.

Currently both boys are here with me ... and Ruby is all alone on the futon out in the mud room :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

There seems to be a bias toward adopting females, so you will sometimes see after a haul of new greyhounds off the track for adoption that in a few weeks all the females are adopted and it is mostly males remaining available. So you may have more of a choice if you are interested in males (or at least willing to consider them).

All my dogs growing up, and my first (non-greyhound) dog that I adopted on my own were all females, but Logan and Max were my first greyhounds, males obviously. I don't see any difference in behavior or anything like that, but there is a subtle psychological effect we impose on the dogs, that is, we think of a male dog as a "he" or a female as a "she". It may seem silly, but if you really want a female, that is, a "her", as your canine companion, then that is what you should get.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I've got both. My girls are trickier. Lots more going on in those heads. Cuddles but generally more complicated. One is independent, the other has severe SA. I adore them! My boys have been a lot easier. Less snark. My newest (not yet in my sig) doesn't do strangers, and is very closely related to the black girl there (mother is Paige's half sister), so I believe genetics plays a strong role in determining some behaviour. That sais, his sire is throwing some (I say sharp, my vet who deals with a lot of racing greys says aggressive for greyhounds) interesting pups depending on the dam. Benny and Hermon in my signature, both completely and utterly bombproof and perfect.

My suggestion is to write your list of necessaries (things you absolutely need) might be things like size if you're small or have a small car or whatever, but definitely think about if you're around children, have a cat or small dog, able to live alone, etc etc. then think about desireables. These might include sex, but really personality and your necessaries should guide you towards your dog. Don't discount a dog because of looks or first impressions. Some dogs are just right but my mercurial little princess who has my heart took several weeks to decide that I was ok, and several years to turn into the charmer she is now.

look for a personality that fits this list rather than a gender. can't recommend this enough

I have my home visit this morning, and I initally was looking at getting a female. I am not sure if I should consider a male. Can anyody tell me if there are any pros or cons either way? My main "wish list" for lack of a better term, is:

Crate trained

House trained

quiet

gets along well with other dogs

likes walks

can do stairs

Would one sex be perferable over the other for this list? I realize I may not get everything, and I am willing to do what it takes to make this work, but I don't want to make a mistake and fail the dog.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

look for a personality that fits this list rather than a gender. can't recommend this enough

Yep, what he said. :nod

If there are no noticeable differences, please consider going with whichever is least adoptable, (in other words, a black male).

I've talked to many dog people who have consistently said males are more affectionate. As I've only had one male, and only one grey, I won't comment on a sample size of one.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest DarkHorse

Our first pair was a male and a female, because the adoption coordinator of our group tended to recommend that pairing. We loved our little princess, but she was just that. She definitely was more independent and willing to do things on her own - she would often be found on her "princess bed" while we were all in another room. It became more pronounced as she aged, to the point where she would have to be coaxed downstairs for breakfast most mornings.

For our second pair, we chose to go with two boys. Partly this was because the group didn't have any cat-safe girls, but mostly it was because we really liked having our first boy. Interestingly, Cole has some of Araley's quirks - he can be quite demanding, a bit of a spook, and he's pretty delicate and small. But he's still much more clingy and intent on being where the humans are. And he's bonded more to KB (and to Dexter when he was still around) than Araley ever did to Dexter.

Honestly, I'd slightly lean towards a female if this is definitely going to be an only dog. We always joked that when Dexter died, Araley would be relieved to be on her own. We weren't expecting to lose her first, and we had to get another dog (and ended up getting two) because Dexter wasn't happy about being an only dog. I worry a little that the same will happen to either Cole or KB regardless of who goes first, and I don't know that either would have been OK if we'd just adopted one for Dexter - we would have been looking for another anyway probably by January.

I've only ever had boys, mainly because I was told a long time ago that that females are more independent. I kinda wanted a grey that was attention seeking = males. I know now that it's totally personality dependent and not a sex thing, as I have met females that are WAY more attentive to me than my boys.

I think your wish list is acceptable for both sexes. And just you wait....they will pick you....not the other way around :);) you'll know when that happens too!

Good luck!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I prefer male pets of every variety. There is a reason the term "bitch" has come to mean what it means!

You might consider relaxing on your "shopping list." It would appear to me you're looking for a dog who requires no work, and there aren't too many of those available!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

For all the folks that have found that males are more attention seeking, snuggly etc. I will just add my one data point. By far the most snuggly, attention seeking, funny, loving greyhound I have ever met is a female. I have only ever had males and will continue to do so, but I care for a female on a regular basis (just had her for the whole month of May), and she simply cannot be topped in the lovable department. At some point every night she departs her bed and crawls into bed with me. No other dogs are allowed this privilege and she wouldn't be either but she cannot be stopped. I have awoken from a nap to find her settling on top of me. When she greets me after any absence she wraps her legs around mine and won't let me move. She play bows to me, barks, vocalizes, chatters, nibbles, bats at me with her paws, and hip checks me. Forget gender and look for character.

(FYI the reason I have only males, and in particular large males, is that I have the space for them and strength to deal with any situation. I leave the smaller greyhounds for those that need them.)

This is not my dog!

NapwithWhisper.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

LOL both my girls have been way more likely to mark (including lifting their legs!) indoors than our male! All of our dogs have been cuddly, although our male is less discriminating. Our girls certainly have had favorites. I agree that size is an important consideration, especially when it comes to thinking about emergency situations. Trying to lift our 80 pound male into the car to rush him to the vet after he ate a bunch of grapes and refused to jump in was a challenge for me. I also find it more difficult to keep control if confronted by an aggressive or off-leash dog while walking him because he's just so strong. I do agree that boys tend to be goofier. If I could only have one I'd have a female. I like a little more independence.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I prefer male pets of every variety. There is a reason the term "bitch" has come to mean what it means!

You might consider relaxing on your "shopping list." It would appear to me you're looking for a dog who requires no work, and there aren't too many of those available!

Agree on the "bitch" quote! I have always had male dogs (we have our 1st grey now). Better personalities overall, in my experience. But it all depends what you are looking for I suppose!

One thing about girls. I'm not sure if this is true at all racing/adoption kennels but the girls tend to be in the top crates if there are 2 tiers of crates. I would think girls are better at jumping. Magic (my boy) never jumped up on counters, tables, etc. Joy has.

I've heard males are more affectionate. Magic rarely kissed me. Joy does it more often. Both like to snuggle with me.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

When I was originally looking at getting a greyhound I wanted a male. I didn't want a female. Mostly just because I wanted a BIG dog, but also I had heard they were goofier. In rabbits I have found that males are more personable and have sunnier dispositions, so I followed this bias into dogs.

Once I got into agility though, I have switched to females for exactly the opposite reasons... they are smaller (more agile, fit the equipment a bit better) and much more serious. I would not say that I have so far found one sex to be more independent than the other (I've fostered quite a few dogs) or necessarily more affectionate. My girls are FAR more demonstrative than my male ever has been. He is very genteel and his affection is more subtle. None of my dogs are especially cuddly, but Kenna is the cuddliest.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!