One More Time

KickReturn

With the deer seeking missile Archer rehomed, I decided that life without a greyhound was nowhere near as good as life with one. I was in no hurry, but when I got news of a 7 year old gentle blue brindle that had lost his family due to medical reasons (their's, not his) I just couldn't ignore him. What it must be like to know proper retirement, and then to end up back in a crate in a "facility" without your family? I can't imagine. It broke my heart to think what this boy must be going through.

So I filled out some paperwork, hopped in my SUV, crossed an international border and two states, and grabbed him. Apparently he was motionless all day as people came and went but when I walked in to the area where the dogs were held he went berserk. When I got him outside he threw himself at my vehicle. He knew!

Some interesting notes in the first few days.

The family that gave him up was devastated, so distraught that a surrender form was not properly filled out. As a result we really know nothing about him other than he is cat safe.

His nails were very long which doesn't mean much except I wonder how much he was walked, I would expect them to be shorter - particularly because he seems to prefer walking on the cement sidewalk as opposed to grass.

He walked with his head down, not looking around or sniffing much. Again it makes me wonder exactly what his routine was. Perhaps he was walked in a more regimented fashion as many owners do. He does prefer the left side.

Could not do stairs! Our stairs are fully carpeted and very wide - as easy as stairs can be. After a day he could go up but not down. Then he got the down part but forgot how to go up. All sorted out in a week but odd for a dog with home experience.

When I gave a wait command, he showed some fear and retreated to his bed. Interesting. We do use "wait" outside and he is fine.

Weight was good, hind quarters decent, shoulders a bit soft and weak. When I let him off lead to romp around he was a bit awkward, even had a bit of a spill. Perhaps he has never run on uneven ground or maybe he hasn't done much or any running since retirement. He seems slow for a dog with 70 races.

Teeth are very good but his jaw is very weak. We are addressing this with some half frozen turkey necks or pork neck bones ever day as a mid-day snack.

Recall is not bad unless there is a bum to be sniffed.

Nicely house-trained and only minor SA.

Now that we are three weeks in, it is apparent we have an absolute gem of a greyhound on our hands. The guy is just thrilled to meet any person or dog we encounter. Helicopter tail, talker, smiler, lots of teeth chatter. He just loves human contact and will not let you be until he has had a full rub down and body scratch. The belly must also be stroked for several minutes or there will be consequences.

I can tell he still has some pain from his loss but we are pulling out all the stops to give this boy the best life possible. He is learning to love our thrice daily hikes and he marches enthusiastically along. He is looking around more and stopping to sniff regularly. I think this is a function of leaving the leash completely loose and allowing him to make all the decisions. He gets happier by the day and is bonding with family members well. Showing signs of becoming quite the velcro dog with me. We are all thrilled with him.

Meet Honor. Better photographs will follow. The light is so bad this time of year I haven't even bothered. If any forum members happen to be familiar with this dog from his earlier life, please respect the privacy of the previous owners. If you know them, tell them their Honor is in a great place and will be deeply loved for the rest of his days.

IMG_0174.jpg

Below with Hester's widow (didn't take her long to get over Hester's passing lol). I borrowed her from her owners for the first week to help with orientation. Never seen a bed share like this before in my house.

Honor%20and%20Whisper%20Sharing%20Bed%20

Edited by KickReturn

Welcome Honor, and congrats! What a stunning boy; his eyes are so striking. Glad he is adjusting well to his new life with you. Looking forward to reading about your adventures together.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

What a handsome boy! Sounds like he was waiting for you!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have a soft spot for blue brindles! :wub: His eyes are absolutely gorgeous!

Congratulations all around!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He's a beauty, congrats! Thanks for giving him another chance, I am sure he is thrilled to be back in a loving home.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Congrats to both of you. It seems you were meant to find each other.

Edited due to my lack of language

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).