Pogo's Surgery Appointment

Annette

Pogo will be having his leg amputated on Thursday, November 19th. Went to UW Madison yesterday and it was a long day. We were gone a total of 12 hours. Part of his care team includes a person who has greyhound as part of his dna. Dr. Couto's son is doing an externship there. We will most likely be part of the Rapamysin study also.

I guess that is all for now. I really have to get something done around the house.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers for Pogo. What Dr at UW is doing the amputation?

I actually don't know. Dr. Shaffer told me who would be doing it when I was there yesterday but I have completely forgotten. I sent them a copy of Dr. Couto's Limb Amputation Protocol for Greyhounds with Osteosarcoma. I had a call (finally) from the surgery coordinator when I was on my way out of the grocery store tonight. I didn't realize it was my phone that was ringing (thought it was someone elses) because it came after normal business hours and it was a generic ring tone. I hardly get calls after normal business hours by people I do not know. I will be calling the person back tomorrow. I called twice today to set up the surgery appointment and never actually got a call back from the coordinator. When I called Dr. Shaffer with questions regarding the Rapamycin study I mentioned that I had called twice today and never got a call back, so she just went to the surgery coordinator and set up the appointment.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Best thoughts for your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sure Annette has been rather busy prepping her house so I'll update for her. Pogo is going in Thurs for preop diagnostics.... If all goes well his surgery will be on Friday.

Tracy, I thought Pogo had all the preop tests last week? I know Annette was upset with the coordinator of the surgery dept. I hope all goes well on Thursday and Friday.

Tracy, I thought Pogo had all the preop tests last week? I know Annette was upset with the coordinator of the surgery dept. I hope all goes well on Thursday and Friday.

Yes-there was a mix up on the dates. Thursday is check in day. I can only assume he'll be getting a preop exam and bloodwork. I know they already did chest rads. They may want to get a fentanyl patch on the day before (not sure if they use them or a CRI fentanyl drip).

Edited by tbhounds

The Rapamycin study sounds interesting...hoping for good results.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The house is pretty much ready as much as it will be. We need a few more rugs, but I will pick them up during the week. We built a ramp up to the house even though we have a ranch, the outside steps are not the best. We built a 16 foot temporary ramp that is built like a brick outhouse. We will keep it up until spring unless Pogo needs it up there longer. I have a feeling he will do fine without a ramp once he recovers. I figured having a the ramp sticking out the side of the house would slow him down, but it doesn't. He just looks at it like an airport runway and tries to take off (we don't let him). I figured I would stand near the end of the ramp to discourage him from running. I did keep him from running, but the side rails weren't all completed at that moment and that little stinker just bi-passed me and jumped onto the ramp where there were no rails.

For the first week or two we will walk him on a leash even inside the yard till we can't keep him calm enough to get a leash and collar on him. We named him Pogo for a reason.

I am not sure what will all be happening on Thursday. We will meet someone from his surgical team, we will also speak with the vet in charge of the rapamycin study, and also he will be getting an ultrasound and required by the rapmycin study.

Friday morning we will be back there for the surgery.

Hugs to you and best thoughts for your boy!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good thoughts for Pogo and you. We have been down this path before and we're lucky to have 21 very happy and healthy months.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.