Pogo's Surgery Appointment

Annette

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping he will get home for the weekend :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Had an interview this morning so I was unable to take the call from the vet school. They removed Pogo's catheter and had him up and walking. They did not say if he had eaten. I am sure we will get an update again tonight. Also, we asked Roy's sister to call and talk with the vet school. I am sure there are questions that I haven't asked and Anne will know to ask since she is a vet. We will be visiting him tomorrow. I will cook up some chicken breasts for him and see if he will eat that. We were going to take a rotisserie chicken but changed our minds in case the spices don't agree with him. More later

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Just got off the phone with Pogo's vet. There is an outside chance he will actually come home with us tomorrow!!! It sounds like he is living up to his name (and probably scaring the crap out of the staff) jumping around in his crate. They want Miriam to stay at home so Pogo doesn't go ballistic, so she will stay behind. It is probably best. I will let everyone know tomorrow if he comes home with us. :banana :banana :banana

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Pogo is home. We got home about 9:00 tonight. Were able to hide his amicar in summer sausage.

Anyone have any food suggestions? We have tried chicken, cheese, cheese burger, and baby food. He does not want to eat.

Thanks,

Annette

Glad he is home with you!

Hopefully he will eat today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great news he is home! As for food, scrambled eggs, peanut butter, home made French fries?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Raw and also cooked hamburger worked for Taylor.

Raw works well for giving pills.

Which baby food did you try? I was getting the jars of Gerber 2nd foods in the ham & gravy, turkey & gravy, and beef & gravy.

You could also talk to your vet about an appetite stimulant, such as Mritazapine.

Have you ever checked out http://www.goodrx.com/ for buying medications?

I found meds for Taylor a LOT cheaper than buying them from the vet.

It sucks when they don't want to eat. Try something he's never had before?

Kasey never said no to:

raw hamburger

Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal High Caloric canned food when he really didn't want to eat anything else (grab it from the vet)

Lentils (I'm aiming for high high protein stuff in small packages)

Baby food is also a hit but can also be a miss depending on if it's warmed up or not from the fridge or is the wrong one!

He also quite liked beef broth and rice, getting fluid into him is important.

I had semi luck with miratzapine, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Interestingly also sprinkling Forti-Flora encouraged him to eat too, there is some smell in there that encourages them to eat (that's a probiotic and should also help his tummy - it's just sprinkled on food). His stomach must be all over the place with all the meds.

Glad he's home!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Pogo is back at the vet school. We took him back yesterday. He hasn't eaten a full meal since we brought him home on Wednesday. We have a hard time hiding his meds in treats because he just refuses to eat. Forcing medicine into him is impossible. He is a big dog and when a foreign object such as a finger or hand is in his mouth his natural reaction is to clamp down hard with all his might. When we got to the vet school he had a fever of 106. When I spoke with the emergency vet after we got home, she said his temp was down to 102.5. His CBC and chemistry were basically unremarkable for a dog who just had their leg amputated one week ago. They found bacteria in his urine, probably from the catheter they had in him. They are now treating him for a urinary tract infection. He is scheduled to get his stitches removed on Thursday. We feel we have no choice but to keep him at the school until he improves enough to eat regular meals and snacks that we can hide meds in. If we can't give him his meds, he will never get better.

Spoke with the vet school about an hour ago. Pogo is doing better. His fever is going up and down. When his fever goes down, he will eat. Last night they offered the chicken we brought along for him, but he turned it down, but he ate chicken baby food. He ate more chicken baby food this morning and a while ago he ate a combination of Prescription ID dog food, baby food, and our chicken. He is on Tramadol for pain, Trazadone to calm him, and an antibiotic for his UTI. He had an accident in his crate overnight and his pee was pretty close to a normal color. I just spoke with who I assume is a student and not the actual veterinarian. The veterinarian is supposed to call us later with an update.

Poor baby. He is in good hands, but I hope he will recover quickly from this setback and can get back home with you where he belongs! Sending good thoughts.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

{{Annette}}The fever isn't helping Pogo's appetite, once that gets that under control he should hopefully be interested in eating. When Seamie was having his rough spell I compiled this list of noms that I offered him to encourage his appetite and to get his meds into him. What worked more reliably than anything was to put his meds in peanut butter or liverwurst and to put the glob on his wrist - he would lap it right up. I hope that something here might be helpful for your good boy. :grouphug

Noms I might enjoy today. But KNOT tomorrow.

But perhaps again another time (pick a day …)

Compiled by: A senior hound

Kibble: pulverized; wet with chicken broth or water

Chicken: ground; breast or thigh nuked and cut into pieces; rotisserie

Turkey: ditto

Beef: ground; cheezberger plane

Sardine Saturday

Peanut butter: plane or on anything!

Scrambled eggs; plane or add cheese (cottage; cheddar, American, spray, shakey)

Scrambled eggs with ground turkey or chicken (add cheese?)

Pasta, any shape

Egg noodles, plane or with: butter, peanut butter, ground chicken, turkey, or beef

Waffles, with butter; peanut butter; syrup (small amount)

Pancakes: ditto

Oatmeal: ditto

TEXAS Toast, with butter or peanut butter

Ensure (vanilla or strawberry)

Vanilla ice cream or yogurt

Applesauce

Liverwurst, sparingly

Hot dogs, chicken, turkey, beef; boiled; sliced small & nuked til crisp; use as meal/topper.

Shakey cheese

Any cheese!

Assorted canned noms: Merrick’s Grandma’s ChickenPotPie, 95% Tripe, any flavor!;

Purina One chicken; whatever flavors they’ll eat: Alpo or Pedigree

Natural Balance (or other) rolls

Canned puppy food to keep weight on old bones

Crockpot Stew:

water, broccoli, canned (real) pumpkin, white rice, chicken breast, water

Lemon Loaf

Peanut Better Biscuits

Cereal: Chex Mix, Cheerios, Kellogg’s Corn Pops, Apple Jacks

Bananas, Apples

Green Beans

Zucchini

Sweet potato: nuked or baked; plane or with butter

Instant potatoes

Vanilla Oreos

White bread, with seedless strawberry jam (PB&J!)

Quinoa, with or without butter and/or shredded or shaky cheese

Your LEFTOVERS!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

{{Annette}}The fever isn't helping Pogo's appetite, once that gets that under control he should hopefully be interested in eating. When Seamie was having his rough spell I compiled this list of noms that I offered him to encourage his appetite and to get his meds into him. What worked more reliably than anything was to put his meds in peanut butter or liverwurst and to put the glob on his wrist - he would lap it right up. I hope that something here might be helpful for your good boy. :grouphug

Noms I might enjoy today. But KNOT tomorrow.

But perhaps again another time (pick a day …)

Compiled by: A senior hound

Kibble: pulverized; wet with chicken broth or water

Chicken: ground; breast or thigh nuked and cut into pieces; rotisserie

Turkey: ditto

Beef: ground; cheezberger plane

Sardine Saturday

Peanut butter: plane or on anything!

Scrambled eggs; plane or add cheese (cottage; cheddar, American, spray, shakey)

Scrambled eggs with ground turkey or chicken (add cheese?)

Pasta, any shape

Egg noodles, plane or with: butter, peanut butter, ground chicken, turkey, or beef

Waffles, with butter; peanut butter; syrup (small amount)

Pancakes: ditto

Oatmeal: ditto

TEXAS Toast, with butter or peanut butter

Ensure (vanilla or strawberry)

Vanilla ice cream or yogurt

Applesauce

Liverwurst, sparingly

Hot dogs, chicken, turkey, beef; boiled; sliced small & nuked til crisp; use as meal/topper.

Shakey cheese

Any cheese!

Assorted canned noms: Merrick’s Grandma’s ChickenPotPie, 95% Tripe, any flavor!;

Purina One chicken; whatever flavors they’ll eat: Alpo or Pedigree

Natural Balance (or other) rolls

Canned puppy food to keep weight on old bones

Crockpot Stew:

water, broccoli, canned (real) pumpkin, white rice, chicken breast, water

Lemon Loaf

Peanut Better Biscuits

Cereal: Chex Mix, Cheerios, Kellogg’s Corn Pops, Apple Jacks

Bananas, Apples

Green Beans

Zucchini

Sweet potato: nuked or baked; plane or with butter

Instant potatoes

Vanilla Oreos

White bread, with seedless strawberry jam (PB&J!)

Quinoa, with or without butter and/or shredded or shaky cheese

Your LEFTOVERS!!

thanks

Hugs. He is where he needs to be right now. Hopefully when the fever is gone he will feel better and be eager to eat again.