Mazy Is Limping

Sometime this morning Maz, age 3.5, hurt herself. We don't know how. She will barely put pressure on her right rear foot.

I've tried to video it so you can see her walk. I touched her all over, especially from the right hip to her toes. There were no sensitive areas.

The scar on her knee is an old injury from prior to us adopting her. She's never had any problems with it.

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/duckomac/mazy/014_zpsbjx2v62l.mp4

This one is turned the wrong way.

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/duckomac/mazy/012_zpsm0r5e4iz.mp4

She'd just had her dinner before filming. She went out to potty and now just wants to lay down. She must be hurting because normally we have to restrain her from running zoomies after dinner.

If this continues I'll take her to the vet first thing in the morning as an unscheduled walk limp in patient.

Can you see any indication of what is hurting her?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest normaandburrell

Did you look carefully at the pads of her feet and between her toes? On several occasions one of our greys had a similar limp and we were able to identify a toe issue. On several occasions it was nothing more complicated than a foreign body, like a sandspur, that we could remove. On two occasions, however, we wound up with fairly expensive vet bills for what turned out to be abscesses, probably because we missed a foreign body. I have been told that when these dogs race, the feet are checked after a race to look for anything, even small amounts of sand that can get between the nail and the skin, and cause a problem.

FYI, I love the "origami ears."

I've no idea, but am sending good thoughts that she's just tweaked something and all will be well soon. :goodluck She looks so much like my Princess when she was that age. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

She isn't a happy camper, did you try having her foot on the floor and slowly shift wt onto her leg and see if you can see the mm tighten from pain, or do a massage on her thigh hip area, and even though she may not tighten she can be hurting up there, and definitely check between her pads. Poor little girl. It can also be a spine issue where she may be off. It also can be the old injury coming back to irritate her since we don't know the injury.

See the vet in the morning and they can do xrays to rule things out!

prayers for you

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

The only thing I have on hand is Tramadol 50mg but it was issued 2 years ago.

I tried a range of motion on both rear legs and they seemed the same. Used a flashlight to check between her toes. Nothing.

We've got Healthy Paws insurance so we're ready for whatever tests are needed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No swelling? No heat??? Hopefully, she just tweaked her leg. It could be her stifle (knee) but, it really is hard to tell without palpating.

Definitely have her checked tomorrow--at least they can dispense medications for her. Until then leash walk. No zoomies Mazy!

Thanks Tracy. She's definitely not interested in zoomies now. She wanted to get on the couch (her favorite place) but she couldn't do it. I *think* I feel heat near that knee. No swelling. I'm just surprised that I can touch her everywhere without a reaction.

Normandburrell, Mazy's ears appear to be broken. Only one is able to do the origami fold right now. She is definitely feeling discomfort, but not at the level to rush to the E-vet.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, Re: the Tramadol. Just before our angel Jamey passed in Sept 2011 we were issued more tramadol, 40 mg. He passed a week later. Since we still had quite a supply left I asked about the expiry date for the Tramadol and they told me Sept 2015. So, from what I was told I think it's pretty stable. Just FYI.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

No advice, just hoping it's something simple.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I think I feel some swelling at her right hock.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hmmmm.

The horse woman in me says it's not her foot.

But... The horse woman in me also says start at the foot and work your way up the leg.

That said...a couple of years ago I was convinced Ruby had hurt her shoulder....it was her toe.

:huh

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I agree with Nancy. It's not the foot.

I would guess ACL. I know that tears are rare in Greyhounds, but my old dog, Kramer, ruptured his ACL and he would not use his leg at all. If she tweaked it, I can imagine that's how she'd walk.

The vet will check for the "drawer" sign, I'm sure. If her lower leg can move in a certain manner in the wrong direction at the "knee" that will point strongly to the ACL.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thinking good thoughts for Mazy.

Did you check really well for corns? Sometimes they are very difficult to see, but still very painful. See if she walks differently on the grass rather than the hard surfaces.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Just got back from the vet. This morning there was definitely swelling at the right hock. Xrays with comparison to the other hock were done. Cannot see any fracture but you can see the soft tissue swelling. I have already sent the images to Dr Couto. I included her labs since again her creatinine was elevated out of greyhound-normal. She's had past problems with this and infections at the vulvar area. Fortunately antibiotics and swiping the area everyday cleared that up.

We are to leash walk her and periodically ice the area. She was givein Rimadyl 100mg - only 3 pills so we don't screw up her kidneys. Also Tramadol 50mg for pain as needed and Simplicef for any infection. We'll recheck the labs in 30 days.

She whined the whole time, probably saying I want my breakfast rather than I have an owie. At least she didn't have to be sedated for the xrays.

I'll update after I hear back from Dr Couto.

Thanks for all your good thoughts.

tiny hada siggy.png

Adding my prayers and good thoughts for Mazy and you !!!

hoping for a simple, easy fix

:hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Dr Couto responded that he thinks there is a fracture of the central tarsal bone. He is sending her images to someone for another opinion. He also agrees with my vet's course of treatment.

Now that she's had breakfast and a nap and a pill, Mazy is in a better mood. :)

tiny hada siggy.png