Dental Next Week. Talk Me Off The Ceiling? Pics Added.

Joe needs a dental. (It's on the 5th, with bloodwork to be done Wednesday.) He's 8, and hasn't had a full sedation dental in the four years we've had him. He has had several non-sed cleanings. (I booked him for a full dental once, but the vet said he didn't need it.) Anyhow, his canines are icky, and his gums look a little red. He whined last night when he was eating a pig ear, so I know things ain't right.

I'm flipping out, and I shouldn't be. We're going to NGAP, and this is what they do! But, he's my baby, and I'm a total loon. :D

So:

He has wonky back legs. Do they swing them around to get them on the table?

He overheats easily. They did his neuter, and presumably it was fine. Do I mention that?

I need to worry and over think this, so give me some ideas to prepare things for his highness afterward. I'm planning on spoon feeding him baby food, cause it'll make ME feel better. What else is good to have on hand?

He does get really loopy after mild sedation for x-rays. How much goofier will he be after this, and long do the effects last?

Edited by Riverhound

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe's Mom, Reggie is 11 and had a dental in June. His blood work was not normal in April and he had to go on a hepatic diet. Everything was OK in June so he had several teeth removed. He was groggy after, but not enough to miss supper! (softened kibble and cut up chicken) He needs more out, but at his age theysaid to wait about 6 months. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Jean, Connie and Reggie

Joe's Mom, Reggie is 11 and had a dental in June. His blood work was not normal in April and he had to go on a hepatic diet. Everything was OK in June so he had several teeth removed. He was groggy after, but not enough to miss supper! (softened kibble and cut up chicken) He needs more out, but at his age theysaid to wait about 6 months. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Jean, Connie and Reggie

Thanks! I'm *just* having a minor freak out. Totally normal in my world. I go worst case scenario for every thing. Logically, I know I'm overreacting. Shame I don't run on logic.

I can totally relate. I have been lucky in that I have never had to face a major surgery or health crisis with any of my dogs. Teague had to have a dental a few weeks ago and it was the most stressful day ever!! I was fine until the vet called to say it would take a lot longer than thought. I was literally sitting on pins and needles ALL DAY thinking they would call and say he died under the anesthesia. I am such a natural "worse case scenario" type of thinker and when you start googling things it makes it worse. I know so many people on here go through incredibly stressful and risky procedures, I felt guilty worrying to death over a dental, but I did.

In the end things turned out fine, I think he feels much better now, and I am so glad I did it. I made up batches of ground food mixes/doggy meatloaf for his royal highness for the first week, and also bought cans of soft foods like sardines, salmon, cottage cheese, canned dog food, etc. We are just in the process of adding harder food items in.

Edited by RedHead

Hey, I am right there with you. I did this to myself last year when Z needed his first dental ever, and then I did it to myself again when he needed another one this year. :headwall And I've been putting on Violet's (way past what is good for her unfortunately :blush) because I'm terrified for her with her rhabdo/anxiety history.

Here's what I'll tell you. One, he was under anesthesia for his neuter and was fine so it's unlikely he'll have a wonky reaction to to anesthesia. Plus anesthesia protocols are pretty greyhound safe these days. But yes, definitely inform them about his history of overheating and ask them what extra precautions they'll take. They should be monitoring his temp routinely while he's under anyway, but they may be able to do things like schedule him first thing so he doesn't have time to get stressed, etc. to help with this. Also let them know about his legs so they can move him with care and make sure they support him when he's coming out of the anesthesia and let them know about his loopiness and which sedatives so they can adjust accordingly.

Mostly, try not to worry too much. He should be totally fine. What are you planning to do while he's under? If you're traveling to Philly (if you are, go the night before so he's calm in teh morning), maybe there's a GTer who can meet you and have lunch while you wait. Donna was kind enough to do that for me when we went to OSU and it really helped. Worst case, come here and we'll help you through it. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can't answer for how your vet will do things. Here, have never seen folks swing dogs (or cats) around. Also have never needed soft food; wouldn't expect to unless there are extractions. If I am concerned about things when I leave a dog for a procedure, I write them in nice black marker on a piece of cardstock, attach it to the dog's collar, and remind them when I take him/her in.

Best luck to your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

RedHead, that's exactly how I'm planning my day to be. Total obsessive mess.

Jen, Violet's rhabdo thing was scary as hell! I'm lucky in that Joe LOVES to go to the vet. Any vet. It's the best. thing. ever. NGAP is about 1/2 an hour away, which is nice. Unfortunately, it looks like hubby can't go, and I'll be on my own. I'm waffling between walking dogs while I wait for him, or going to the mall and eating everything. Everything. I might start that now.

I cannot give any good advice and my experience is not helpful to your situation, so I will just be thinking of you and Joe and hope that all goes well. Maybe Brees can help distract you further by getting another cat or something.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I was in almost exactly the same situation a month ago. Lila is going to be 8 in a couple weeks and had not had a dental since her spay four years ago. Obviously, she survived that and a quick, light anesthesia to sew her up after she was attacked. The vet explained the whole process to me and knowing there would be someone monitoring her at all times helped me feel a little better.

She had her two front lower incisors removed, as expected, and she did just fine. She seemed normal when I picked her up but once we got home I could tell she was still stoned - panting and crazy eyes. She just took a big drink of water and feel asleep. I fed her canned food that evening, a few small portions, and she was back to her normal kibble for breakfast.

It's normal to worry, but Joe will be fine.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest Literaqueen

My girl just had a dental two weeks ago and did fine. The vet thought she'd need a tooth pulled, but when he got in there it was okay and just needed cleaning. She wolfed down her kibble just like normal the next day and just needed to take some antibiotics to help with gum irritation from the cleaning. She's roaching right now, waiting for me to feed her supper.

My 9 year old just had a dental this month, and had 3 of his upper premolars removed. The vet called me 1/2 way through to ask about one of the teeth that was so-so and I ok'd removing it. Then I called back 2 hours later and they said he was just waking up and had done fine. So he was under for less than 3 hours. (Although I think there's a pre-sedation stage before the anesthesia? So I'm not sure. It was three hours since I knew the vet got started, to when I called them and he was waking.)

He was hungry right away and they fed him some canned I/D at the clinic, until we could pick him up. He was VERY tired that afternoon/evening, but was only a little goofy. He ate a full meal of canned food. The second day, he was still more tired than I would've guessed and we fed him canned food, but he was eyeing his brother's kibble rather than digging into his bowl. On the third day we started doing half kibble/half wet and he was much happier. His activity level was even better than normal and he was playing with toys and running around. So those teeth were hurting him I guess, but he never really showed any signs of it. On the fourth day, he ate his kibble with no problem.

He never had any drooling or bleeding and stitches dissolved right away. They wanted to check them in 10 days, but they were gone in 5 I think! He did like getting "frosty paws" as a special treat for a couple of days too. Your dog will do just fine! :)

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Rachel - my 11yo Baby just had a dental last week ... having just had one last November and January 2013 (so ... 3 dentals in less than 2 years). And she's started having occasional seizures. And this time, the dental was to remove a canine tooth that had so much gum erosion that the vet wasn't committing to how he was going to stitch the opening. GULP. I know exactly what you're feeling right now.

Sooo ... I prepared by talking with Latifah (animal communicator) who informed me that Baby was NOT happy about this (geesh, thanks). And had some canned food and chicken stock on-hand (to soften kibble and provide soft canned food to mix in -- full cans of food cause unfortunate gastric issues in my hounds). And individual ice cream cups (like the ones you got in school). And peanut butter-filled frozen kongs.

Fast Forward to today ...

Baby came through the dental just fine. The vet had her first on the docket for dentals, and called by 11:30a that she was recovering nicely and that I could pick my sweetheart up by 3p. She was in a small amount of pain, which was quickly treated (the vet was willing to send pain meds & antibiotics home, but I had previously given him a list of what I already had in stock, and he prescribed out of my own medicine cabinet).

I suggest:

> if you have medications at home, document them and give them to the vet

> make sure you know what to expect regarding any post-operative bleeding or swelling that you might expect (my vet told me not to expect any bleeding, so I freaked out when she had some bloody drool the afternoon she came home). You might plan on having some extra towels/blankets on Joe's bedding (to make it easier to clean up any bloody messes)

> I personally can handle injuries with blood, but not pain. So I make sure the doctor outlines the meds that I CAN give (esp for pain management), in addition to the recommended dosage. And for the first 2 days, "better living through pharmaceuticals" was my motto.

> make sure you have adult beverages for yourself when Joe gets home. And a friend to keep you company while you watch Joe sleep off the remains of the anesthesia.

> and because you're still going to worry until you have everything under control, make sure you know what symptoms warrant an immediate revisit (or trip to the evet).

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Thanks, everyone. I'll pretend to feel better now!

He got three stitches in his poor widdle footsie this morning. The vet put a Bite-Not collar on, and he laughed at it! He's wrapped almost to his arse (stitches are just above his paw), wearing a Thera-paw, and has his a towel collar on when I'm not looking. He's a baaaaad boy, and I love him! :wub:

Rachel - my 11yo Baby just had a dental last week ... having just had one last November and January 2013 (so ... 3 dentals in less than 2 years). And she's started having occasional seizures. And this time, the dental was to remove a canine tooth that had so much gum erosion that the vet wasn't committing to how he was going to stitch the opening. GULP. I know exactly what you're feeling right now.

Sooo ... I prepared by talking with Latifah (animal communicator) who informed me that Baby was NOT happy about this (geesh, thanks). And had some canned food and chicken stock on-hand (to soften kibble and provide soft canned food to mix in -- full cans of food cause unfortunate gastric issues in my hounds). And individual ice cream cups (like the ones you got in school). And peanut butter-filled frozen kongs.

Fast Forward to today ...

Baby came through the dental just fine. The vet had her first on the docket for dentals, and called by 11:30a that she was recovering nicely and that I could pick my sweetheart up by 3p. She was in a small amount of pain, which was quickly treated (the vet was willing to send pain meds & antibiotics home, but I had previously given him a list of what I already had in stock, and he prescribed out of my own medicine cabinet).

I suggest:

> if you have medications at home, document them and give them to the vet

> make sure you know what to expect regarding any post-operative bleeding or swelling that you might expect (my vet told me not to expect any bleeding, so I freaked out when she had some bloody drool the afternoon she came home). You might plan on having some extra towels/blankets on Joe's bedding (to make it easier to clean up any bloody messes)

> I personally can handle injuries with blood, but not pain. So I make sure the doctor outlines the meds that I CAN give (esp for pain management), in addition to the recommended dosage. And for the first 2 days, "better living through pharmaceuticals" was my motto.

> make sure you have adult beverages for yourself when Joe gets home. And a friend to keep you company while you watch Joe sleep off the remains of the anesthesia.

> and because you're still going to worry until you have everything under control, make sure you know what symptoms warrant an immediate revisit (or trip to the evet).

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Thank you, thank you! Exactly what I was fishing for!

Some vets let them go home when they're still a little loopy, figuring they'll recover better at home, and some want them to stay at the vet longer. Maybe ask which approach they favor, so you'll know what to expect time-wise?

Given the wonky legs, you may want to bring a harness with you when you pick him up, just in case.

The vet put a Bite-Not collar on, and he laughed at it! He's wrapped almost to his arse (stitches are just above his paw), wearing a Thera-paw, and has his a towel collar on when I'm not looking.

We totally need pictures of this.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Some vets let them go home when they're still a little loopy, figuring they'll recover better at home, and some want them to stay at the vet longer. Maybe ask which approach they favor, so you'll know what to expect time-wise?

Given the wonky legs, you may want to bring a harness with you when you pick him up, just in case.

We totally need pictures of this.

He had puffy toes yesterday, so the wrap is off. He's still wearing his "hat" when I' not looking, though!

81674a2b0908d5eacb6771485e845d93.jpg

And yesterday at the vet.

d35b258127df44b73e1a30b8e6ef2dc3.jpg

Edited by Riverhound

OMG, I love the picture of him in the chair. I just want to pick him up and snuggle and kiss him! :beatheart

Sending good thoughts and prayers that all goes well with the dental.

Awwwwww..... Poor Joe.

:goodluck with the dental.

Ruby was under for 3 hours with hers last fall. She had two difficult molars removed.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Joe! :inlove

I have complete and total faith in NGAP for dentals. I think he should be fine. The one thing I might inquire about is what type of sedatives and/or pain meds they'll give him afterwards. There's a lot of times when the dog gets through the surgery perfectly, but then becomes severely agitated by the meds. I found out the hard way that Trumie can't have Ace. If Joe doesn't do well on opiate-based meds, you may want to have something like Xanax on hand to balance him out. Otherwise, I think it'll be fine. I'll be sending good thoughts and jingles your way.