Two Boys?

Guest Marsroving

Guest Marsroving

Well, I think Mars Rover is ready for a greyt companion of his own...and mom over here has an eye for a certain big blue beefcake (and at 77 pounds he sure is another big boy) that I'm ready to snap up at a moments notice. Of course introductions are in order, but I've seen a lot of advice that it's often best to place girls and boys together. Mars is a very confident dog, he is not the least bit intimidated or bothered by other dogs...but he will stand his ground if tested.

Am I setting all of us up for failure? Should I take another look at the pretty little white girl???? It's just so hard, I took one look and that blue beauty knocked me out.

P.S. How does one adapt to walking two at once?

I have two males. They are not really aggressive with each other but are highly competitive. There is a lot of snarking and growling and posturing and sneaky behaviour (trying to get the other one's treats or food, for instance, and trying to get out of the door first).

I would agree that it depends on the dogs, but please do not let your desire for the big blue boy colour your judgment when you let them meet. If they seem not to like each other, don't go through with it.

If they do seem to like each other and/or seem indifferent to each other, I would give you one piece of advice: do NOT be influenced by your personal preferences or notions of the way things should be, but let the two dogs sort out their own pecking order. It could be that the new boy will be 'in charge' as such and you would only store up trouble by trying to alter that by interfering. You cannot be there every minute of every day to sort out disagreements and if you support the 'underdog' he will continue trying to challenge his housemate when you're not there - this can have serious consequences. So it's important that the two dogs decide for themselves once and for all and then they'll know where they stand.

Of course, it could turn out the other way and your existing dog will be the one who seems to be the 'leader', or you could have a situation (as we do) where it depends on the situation. Sometimes one dog will be the 'decider' or 'chooser of the best bed', and sometimes it will be the other. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I had two boys at the same time. We had no issues whatsoever, as they were good friends. When first boy passed away we got a girl and still have no issues.

Wally my male is very passive in the house so he would probably get along fine with most other dogs.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

My two males ADORE each other. A few years ago, I was in the same place as you (wanting a boy, but believing I should get a female). For fun, I decided to do an animal communicator session with Jean Ussery at Dewey. She told me that, "it was okay to get another dog, but that Henry wanted a brother." Best decision ever. When you're looking to add another dog, I really believe it comes down to personality and temperament vs. gender.

We have one girl- an alpha b*tch, and 5 boys! The males get along better together and the female does with the boys sometimes. She just tries to control them. So I do not think two boys are a bad thing, after proper introductions of course.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

We have two girls and one boy. The girls are the same age and play together. I walk 3 dogs with all leashes in my left hand. You'll be surprised at how well they walk together.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Personality is more important than gender.

As far as walking goes, walk them separately until you get the new boy walking well on leash - not kiting around or pulling. Then it's just a matter of getting used to managing leashes. You can use a coupler attachment, if you're not doing potty walks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Jen (BigOrangeDog) has at least a dozen males at her house and no issues.

I have three boys and no issues. MOST boys are pretty easygoing and like their "bro time" :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

.It does all depend on the dogs but I'd take two (or three) males over two females. The boys usually sort of feel each other out, shake hands and walk away Girls can and do hold grudges. Boxer rescue here will not adopt a female to a home with an existing female.

..and the bigger the boys are the sweeter they usually are. :) Get the big blue boy. ;)

As far as walks, I've never had much luck with couplers, especially with boys. They get tangled up and/or pee on each other. I have one here that I can send you if you want to try it out. You can hold two leashes in one hand or one leash in each hand.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Personality is more important than gender.

As far as walking goes, walk them separately until you get the new boy walking well on leash - not kiting around or pulling. Then it's just a matter of getting used to managing leashes. You can use a coupler attachment, if you're not doing potty walks.

:nod

Yes...personality more than gender.

We've mixed and matched multiple dogs of both genders for many years.

Some get along.

Some don't.

As long as the dogs are well behaved ...no pulling/crossing back and forth ... when they're being walked on a leash all by themseves, they should be fine when they're together.

I walk 3 with no problems at all.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest kahjul

My 2 females are much more difficult together than Carl is with other males (hes the only male here, but family members have males). He gets along with everyone!

.It does all depend on the dogs but I'd take two (or three) males over two females.

Yep, females can be as bad, or worse than two competitive males. Everything I said applies just as much to two females - and in fact would also apply to a male and a female given strong personalities. :)

I'd rather have two boys than two girls. But again, some have two or more girls with absolutely no problems. It depends so much on the characters and personalities of the dogs you choose.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I had two boys, but from pups. They squabbled a bit at adolescence but once that was over they were fine. Luckily they had very different personalities so they did their own thing. I think that you should be okay as long as you don't try to impose the" pecking order" and with dogs( boys) it does seem that if they do have a little falling out they soon get over it and get on with life, unlike bitches who tend to never let it go. Two isn't really harder than one, except when they are on leash and decide they both want to go in opposite directions!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Hi Marsroving, I grew up in Milwaukee and still go there for many things. Anyway, I had two boys for the longest time and never had any issues. Both were very laid back and low key.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest AimeeBee

I have a boy and so far my fosters have been male. It really does depend on the dogs. George was absolutely fine when I had my first foster (a small, young male) -- barked at him once the first night he was here and mostly ignored him afterwards. My current foster is a large male who is older and pretty confident -- it took them about a week or so to work through most of the snarking and posturing. They are still pretty competitive but I think once George was convinced that his position on the household totem pole was secure, they started getting along much better.

I know of a fair amount of people with two (or more) males happily coexisting, but not as many with two+-female households or with multiple females that don't also have a male or two in the mix. Again though, individual personalities trump all.

Guest WhiteWave

Of course it depends on the dogs, but I've always had multiple males- as many as 5 male Greyhounds with 2 male Dobes and a male Dogo and they all loved each other. I have had issues with every single female dog I've ever tried to have. I have 6 male dogs, 2 are Greyhounds and all get along beautifully. My roommate has 3 female dogs, 1 being a Greyhound. They get along for the most part, but they will fight quicker than the boys if they get riled up and do more damage to each other. Her girls tend to be more independent and get snarky if someone touches them when they are laying down. My boys all cuddle and lay on top of each other.

We had two boys and never an issue with them together. I will agree with others, a lot has to do with personality.

Also if you don't already plan to, make sure to muzzle them both when you leave them alone at home, unless you crate them. I know some people will state otherwise but it's for piece of mind for you and the pups are fine wearing them. This goes for either sex, not just two boys.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I agree with those that say personality is more important than gender. Everyone always says boys are the sweetest, but my boy, Keno, was a very assertive male and did not generally get along with other males unless they were super submissive. He tolerated my male galgo, Cruz, well because Cruz was very meek and properly respectful of Keno. And Keno wouldn't hesitate to put what he viewed as a "disrespectful" female in her place either. He growled at my female greyhound, Chloe, once and she continued to make eye contact and lifted her lip. He promptly knocked her to the ground and bit her and she had to have stitches. Right now I have two females. Princess is assertive/bossy and Carly is very submissive. They've only had an issue once in eight years when Carly tried to get Princess to play with her. I intervened and no one was seriously injured. They tolerate each other and Carly respects Princess as the boss.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just my opinion, but I think two males are FAR more likely to be great buddies than either two females, or a male and a female.

Greyhounds are raised totally differently from other dogs--and of course males and females are turned out together, and very seldom are there problems. They are very much pack oriented, and used to being with their own gender.

I find females tend to be, well, bitchier about everything from sharing beds to attention seeking. Males just seem more happy go lucky. Its the same with cats.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck