• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome news about Diamond!!! You go girl!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Diamond, you go girl!! :yay:yay:yay I'm glad your mom and dad are breathing a little easier now that you're figuring out what your new normal is. Keep it up!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

More Diamond milestones:

Yesterday, nine days post-op, we had to put a leash on her for the first time, because she's trotting too fast for us to keep up with her. Yesterday evening, I took Cash and Lucy out on leashes while DH had Diamond for a VERY short walk, and Diamond was dragging DH to get ahead of the other two.

This morning, she grabbed a stuffy to carry with her when we went out - something she always did pre-sugery but hadn't done since.

It's SO good to see her coming back to herself.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Carl has cancer.

My boy Carl is gone and we don't know what took him, not sure it was the cancer. It happened at home after I brought him home from the vet and it all happened so fast. He was laying in bed pawing at me to pet him this morning, very happy and sweet, ate a good breakfast with gusto...and now he's gone. I'm lost.

Connie, not sure if you are still coming in here. I haven't come into this thread for a long time, but this morning I read through all 12 pages and I'm so sorry I missed this and of course for your loss. :(:grouphug

Did not want to join this club again, but here we are. Diamond will have her back right amp this afternoon. I need to catch up (and try to get ahead) on work before she comes home, do some cleaning/house rearranging and read up on what else we need to do to get ready for her to come home. I'm also DESPERATELY in need of a nap, so maybe that first.

So sorry you are in here again too Valerie, but glad Diamond is recovering so well from her amp. I hope that continues!

Heather, I am so sorry for your loss of Roxy.

Hope everyone else's pups are doing well adn that you have a lot more time together pain free.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Miss Diamond had most of her stitches taken out today. One section (the top right of the Y incision along her hip, if that makes sense) will stay in for another week, just to be safe. The surgeon said everything looks great, and they were impressed by how well she's getting around. When the tech came out to get us in the waiting room, Diamond actually RAN AWAY, dragging me down the hall and to the elevator. Mobile? Check!

She'll get the rest of the stitches out next Friday, and we'll meet with Oncology (the same brilliant Oncologist we used with Gabe) the same afternoon to discuss the chemo plan. The following Tuesday, she'll start physical therapy, including the water treadmill, which I'm excited to see. We'll go twice a week for at least six weeks.

Almost forgot the most exciting part - she's now off ALL of her meds except vitamins and supplements, although we still have Tramadol and Gabapentin to use if she needs them. I can't get over how different this is than Gabe's treatment plan. Because he wasn't a candidate for amputation (two primary tumors), he was on 15+ pills a day from diagnosis until we lost him. What a relief it is to have her Osteo pain GONE.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Great news about Diamond! So glad she is doing so well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Valerie, yes. In some ways, having an amp is sometimes the easier route, in some ways. Glad Diamond is doing great!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Quick question(s) for those of you whose dogs have or are undergoing radiation therapy. My friend's greyhound was unfortunately diagnosed with osteo of the rear knee not long after I lost Carl. He has LP, is anesthesia required when doing radiation treatments? She is considering radiation treatment, but is concerned that he would need to be anesthetized during treatment and the LP would complicate this or prove deadly. She has a follow-up appointment for him tomorrow, but is wondering what other's experience is with this, she is not on GT.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Pretty sure it does, unless something's changed. IV pamidronate does not though.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just saw this on the Penn Vet Facebook Page:

"Dr. Nicola Mason has started a new clinical trial for dogs with osteosarcoma who haven't been amputated. Watch Denali, an Italian Spinoni, and learn more about this trial: http://www.vet.upenn.edu/research/centers-initiatives/canine-cancer-studies/vaccine-radiation-trial "

Here are the eligibility criteria:

• Dogs with suspected early OSA based on breed, clinical signs and radiographs
  • Dogs that are otherwise systemically healthy (no cancer spread to the lungs, no other health problems such as kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease etc)
  • Dogs that are not candidates for amputation (either because they are too big or have concurrent orthopedic problems such as hip dysplasia)
  • Dogs that have not received prior treatment for OSA

Best thoughts for everyone fighting this horrible disease. Not a day goes by that we don't miss our Lana. :cry1

Victor

Guest fastcasper

Thanks Victor! This information could be very exciting! I wish Lana and Casper could have been able to par take in this trial. :sad1 I miss him terribly too. :sad1

kim

Update on Jaynie and a question:

She has been doing super-well - healed, happy, playing, running.

She is a little lame on the back left leg - same side as her front leg amp. I am going to give it until the start of the week, hoping it's just a strain.

I seem to recall that if the osteo returns to bone vs. lungs, it's in the diagonally opposite leg, is that right? I.e., it would most likely be in the other back leg.

Her lungs were re-xrayed a little over a week ago and appeared clear. Thank you!

Edited to add a photo - the collar she is wearing was made by a friend specially for her:

RehabBliss3.jpg

Edited by Rickiesmom

She's beautiful. I don't know anything about your question about Osteo inflicting another leg.

I have had a few greyhounds that got Osteo in a second leg. In one case it was discovered in a front leg a few weeks after I had had the back leg amputated. Are we allowed to say it Sucked? Well it did, BIG TIME.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I've never heard that about metastisized cancer occurring in the opposite leg. Most likely, it's her muscles still getting used to her different mode of walking and running. After a vet visit to confirm, you might consider canine massage, accupuncture, or some other form of physical therapy to keep her muscles loose and her frame in good working order.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks Greysmom, all good ideas. She has been for massage, and *loved* it. I need to book some more appointments with the rehab therapist who does this and much more, just waiting for a couple of schedule items to settle down.

That leg was used twice this week for a catheter, and it's bruised. I don't know why that would cause lameness, but I am hoping it's that or just a strain.

Thanks Greysmom, all good ideas. She has been for massage, and *loved* it. I need to book some more appointments with the rehab therapist who does this and much more, just waiting for a couple of schedule items to settle down.

That leg was used twice this week for a catheter, and it's bruised. I don't know why that would cause lameness, but I am hoping it's that or just a strain.

Keep an eye on that cath site if it was used to deliver chemo. If some of the chemo drug ended going subcutaneous there could be sloughing of the skin. Hopefully this is not the case --just something to watch for.

Thank you, I will. She received Carboplatin, so hopefully if there was any leakage it won't be too bad? Is there anyway to tell visually before the skin weakens? All I see now is bruising, and she does bruise pretty easily.