For the past week, Henry hasn't had much of an appetite. We also noticed a few instances of coughing that sound almost like hiccups. I hope I'm overreacting, but my first thought was lung mets. :(

He's due for chest x-rays, so we have an appointment coming this week. Is there any additional testing I should be doing? He's always been a good eater, so I'm definitely concerned.

I am so sorry Henry is having these symptoms, hopefully it's just the heat if your weather has been like ours lately. FWIW Jaynie has gone through two spells, widely separated in time, where she makes a coughing like sound and then it seems to pass, no idea what causes it, but her chest films have been clear.

Others will have more experience, but my guess is that the chest x-rays are the only thing you need to do, but you could also ask about an abdominal ultrasound if you want to be super-sure. Jaynie had one before her amp, and probably so did Henry, just to make sure before moving forward with the surgery, that there were no visible lesions anywhere.

We are sending good thoughts to you and Henry, and will be watching for an update - what day are the chest films being done?

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( Alicia, I had read about Henry in Training and Behavior and was hoping that it wasn't medical when that was brought up. I'm sending lots of white light and healing thoughts his way in the event he should need it. :hope:candle

Mary, how is Jaynie doing? Has she got her appetite back yet? Adding healing thoughts and white light for her and all others battling that awful disease. :hope:candle

Thanks Judy, she is much better today - very tired and mostly sleeping which is good, but she ate a breakfast that was a mixture of things, and kept that and her meds down. Her poop is also starting to firm up - still very soft but has some form. So it looks like she has turned the corner, thankfully.

I am going to ask about Cerenia for the next time - if we can get ahead of the nausea by treating the day of treatment, that would be so good, and I'll also ask, in the same spirit, whether it is worth starting the Metronidazole early. Of the two issues nausea was the more problematic, but anything we can do to head things off will be good, especially as the next time is presumably going to be the same or worse.

I wish I hadn't started Googling… I'm very afraid we got a misdiagnosis.

It appears that some cases of OSA can fall into the "fibroblastic" category. The pathology will reveal spindle cells. That sounds exactly like Henry.

2motpxt.png

ETA: I'm hoping to get him in to one of the oncologists tomorrow or Tuesday. I've also consulted Dr. Couto.

Edited by a_daerr

You still did all the recommended treatment fro Henry, whichever type he has. Hope things turn out on the better side for you both.

Sometimes, coughing is just coughing. :hope

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You still did all the recommended treatment fro Henry, whichever type he has.

I know… it's just coming as a bit of a shock, since all this time, we thought we were dealing with a better prognosis. If it turns out he does have fibroblastic OSA, who knows how long we'll have left. He's already surpassed the statistics (7 months post amp). It could just be all downhill from here. :(

His appointment with the oncologist is today at 1:30.

I know… it's just coming as a bit of a shock, since all this time, we thought we were dealing with a better prognosis. If it turns out he does have fibroblastic OSA, who knows how long we'll have left. He's already surpassed the statistics (7 months post amp). It could just be all downhill from here. :(

His appointment with the oncologist is today at 1:30.

Oy--please keep us posted --remember Bridget is very, very familiar with ghs and OSA---if there was a question about the path report I'm sure she would have been on top of it. Dogs cough--fingers crossed that's all it is.

Henry's fine! Nothing remarkable about his films or bloodwork. No lung mets. He did not lose any weight (in fact, he gained a pound since last visit). The pathologist took multiple sections and did not see osteoid matrix, which is the one thing that would distinguish FSA from OSA.

I feel much better. :yay

I haven't posted before this because I thought Heather might come back. But she posted on Facebook last week that she'd had to say goodbye to Seka.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Henry's fine! Nothing remarkable about his films or bloodwork. No lung mets. He did not lose any weight (in fact, he gained a pound since last visit). The pathologist took multiple sections and did not see osteoid matrix, which is the one thing that would distinguish FSA from OSA.

I feel much better. :yay

Sooooooo happy for you!!! Now no more Dr Google you'll make yourself nuts!!!!!!

:confetti :confetti :confetti

Awesome news for Henry!!!!!!

I was sorry to hear about Seka too. I also think that long-time survivor Lucy finally lost the battle.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest OPointyDog

Been holding my breath all day for Henry - so glad it's good news! :cheers

Sorry to hear about Seka and Lucy.

Very glad for Henry (except now his odd food behavior still has to be figured out :lol)

Very sorry to hear about Seka and Lucy :(

Saturday will mark one year since I lost my sweet little Ace girl. While she did not have osteo, she battled chronic lymphocytic leukemia for 4 years, and disc issues in her back for close to a year before a rupture paralyzed her and I had to let her go :( I miss her terribly this time of year as she loved to go see fireworks with me when she was younger. It really is only fitting that she left the day after the 4th...headed for the stars on some beautiful fireworks :heart

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Terrible news about Seka and Lucy. If their owners are reading, I'm very sorry for your losses. :grouphug

I think I have Henry's food problems pinpointed. We went about 24 hours without power last week when a tree went down on our street. We use a skin and coat supplement called Missing Link that has to be refrigerated… you see where I'm going with this… I think the Missing Link spoiled when the fridge shut off. Either way, we got a brand new bag of food today in case the kibble happened to be tainted. I gave him the new kibble sans Missing Link, and he gobbled everything down in no time. So happy to see him EAT again.

That is great news about Henry!

I am sorry to read of Seka's passing. Another beautiful pup lost due to this disease.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.