Guest cas0673

I know I was so glad everyone here, along with other online research, gave me the heads up about how Sadie would be. I was prepared for how she looked, how it would go. She did have a seroma that was so big it could lay in my hand. A big blob of blood I called it. But after the Vet wrapped it up, it was absorbed by her body. I was afraid it was going to burst, it hung from her tummy. The key is to stay calm and do what you have to do for your grey. Heck we are still sleeping downstairs, me on the couch. And it's been 2 months? Our steps to go upstairs are steep and she just doesn't feel comfortable going up there......yet.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm continuing to send good thoughts for Jaynie's recovery!

Chris, I'd love to try laser, but we need to keep that and acupuncture as last-ditch efforts since they both can exacerbate cancer if you happen to hit an area where it is festering. We haven't found her cancer anywhere in her yet, but I'd hate to accidentally stimulate it into action by trying to help another problem. Ah, the balancing act!!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Jaynie is doing better. Will be moved out of the ICU today. She is wanting to get up more, and they have taken her outside (still won't pee there though). She still hasn't eaten but they are weaning down the drugs and think she probably will this evening. She is on fluids to stay hydrated and to protect her kidneys.

She is developing a little bit of bruising in what was the armpit area, so they are monitoring and will keep that bandaged for now. They are thinking she may be ready to come home end of day tomorrow, or on Tuesday. Surgeon isn't back in until Tuesday and I would like him to examine her before she is discharged, so Tuesday is fine with me.

They suggest not visiting yet. The drugs are still messing with her mind and if she gets anxious it takes them some time to get her calmed down again. I am reading materials from the Tripawds site, and they say she is probably seeing pink elephants right now. They also say not to visit.

Using the time to get things ready for her return, covering the floor with rubber backed mats / yoga mats, and have ordered a firm orthopedic bed that should arrive tomorrow. She already has a raised feeder and one pair of jammies without legs, so we're pretty well set. Someone is coming tomorrow to measure, and will build her a ramp out the back door.

All in all, things seem to be looking up.

I agree about not going to see them too early unless of course one is picking up their pup. The drugs in them make them loopy and completely out of it. Continued good thoughts for Jaynie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest cas0673

Glad Jaynie is doing well. Our Sadie is a sensitive girl to begin with. The drugs from the surgery and her just being a nervous wreck were really bothering her. When I went to pick her up, they took me back and the girls didn't take her needle out yet. Oh my!!! Let me tell you!! I never saw any dog react that way. You know the dog in the Cujo movie...that was my poor little greyhound. She was like a wild dog. They had to put a muzzle on her. It was crazy! She is pretty good now that she is off all her meds. She would cry out so loud if we just sat in the same room as her, not exaggerating. So just be patient. My worst, lowest point was the day I brought her home. She fell on the front porch, she slipped in the kitchen where there was a few inches of bare floor, and it was RAINING.....her bandage couldn't get wet. And we don't have raincoats for them. So we used a trash bag, and she hates trash bags, so that didn't go so well. We got through it and you will to.

:yay:yay:yay For Henry!!!!!!

How's our Jaynie doing today?? Coming home???

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

After so much heartache, which seemed to come crashing unrelentlessly time and time again like waves rushing ashore, so that you can't even catch your breath before you are knocked down by another, there is finally some good news here. Truman has finished his chemo and got an excellent discharge report :yay .

And Jaynie is back home recuperating :kiss2.

Truman we expect you to keep getting those good reports and Jaynie I'm expecting you to follow Twiggy's pawsteps and be a fighter.

Twiggy you may be slowing down, but your still still an inspiration to those fighting.

:yay Jaynie is home!!!!

Take the time now for a nice adult beverage! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That is great Jaynie is home! Good healing thoughts for your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you all for the well wishes. Jaynie is doing amazingly well, other than she has episodes of panting and fast heart rate. In between her breathing seems harder than usual too. Vet thinks it's the Tramadol, I was thinking pain since she's on a pretty low dose (75mg, 3x per day, along with 300 mg Gabapentin) and I upped it to 100mg. But, watching her just now, she's wearing a pretty big bandage and it fits quite snuggly - I wonder if that's it?

She goes for a bandage change tomorrow morning and the surgeon will examine her then.

One funny thing: she has a nice thick, firm, new orthopedic bed. Very comfortable and good support when she is getting up or repositioning herself. But last night she decided to sleep with me (code for take-over) in an improvised bed made with a foundation of rectangular Costco beds and duvets. Definitely did have more trouble on it too, but it's snugglier and she evidently prefers that. She's busted back to the orthopedic bed now. I think tonight I'll sleep in the adjacent room so I can hear her but she will have to stay safely on her own bed.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest cas0673

Sadie was very anxious when she came home. I thought it was still the anesthesia, like an after effect from the surgery. It was a good week or more before she really settled. It made us nervous because we just wanted her to relax. They also can be confused and stressed.

I would be willing to bet it is the tramadol. I'd lower the dose to 50mg 3x per day and see how she does. The gabapentin should be given 3x per day as well - greyhounds metabolize it faster than other breeds so an every 8 hour dosing schedule is ideal.

Tramadol does CRAZY things to some of them - seriously :nod

Does she have a Fentanyl patch? That can also cause the panting/restlessness.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jaynie is on 300mg of Gabapentin 3x per day, in addition to the Tramadol. No Fentanyl patch. Because she has always tolerated Tramadol well in the past, I upped her from 75mg 3x per day to 100mg today guessing the panting was discomfort / pain, and it worked - she has rested and slept much more. Still heavier breathing and still some panting sessions, but much better than last night.

That said, she is better in the day, so tonight will tell the tale. I really do think the bandage is playing a part as well, but Jaynie is not on antibiotics, which is probably why the caution in keeping it covered.

I am concerned about Jaynie - she seems depressed and I don't know why. Possibilities are - she's missing Jeff (thinking about bringing him home), she isn't feeling well (temp is normal, eating is fine), she's tired from exertion she isn't used to, and just generally adjusting to life on 3 legs.

She was much brighter for the first few days she was home - probably thrilled to be out of the hospital, but the last couple of days she has seemed very quiet and withdrawn. I took her for a car ride yesterday afternoon, and she definitely brightened for that - riding in the car is one of her favourite things, so we will do that every day possible.

Her pain meds are being weaned down, she's currently getting 300gmg Gabapentin and 75mg Tramadol 2x per day. Her heart rate is still rapid a lot of the time, and her breathing still heavier, like panting except her mouth is closed. There is very little outright panting now.

I'm not sure what to make of it all. What has been the behaviour / mood patterns for others who have been through this? Is this normal?

Thank you!

I am concerned about Jaynie - she seems depressed and I don't know why.

This is a very normal part of the adjustment period. It's also the inevitable part where we humans say, "Oh God, this was a mistake... what have I done?!" Don't worry too much, though, because it does get better. Around 2-3 weeks post-amp, I had the same feeling about Henry. He just wasn't acting himself. He went through a "blah" period where nothing excited him, and he just wanted to sleep. I started wondering if he'd ever be the same again. I discussed it with the vet, and she said the behavior was most likely attributed to prolonged use of opiate-based pain meds. When we started reducing Tramadol, he hit a real slump. Then once he was totally weaned, he bounced back fairly quickly. I'm sure Jaynie will come around. :grouphug

Guest Greytblackdog

I'm hoping Jaynie will pep up soon. I'm following your journey closely as we are headed down that same path with Roxy.

Roxy's biopsy results came back positive for osteo. So now I have 2 with osteo at the same time. I kind of look like a drug dealer leaving the pharmacy with all the tramadol that they stock.

Roxy's treatment: We are 95% decided on amputation as the treatment path. She does qualify for a vaccine study at Auburn University. The hard part is she will spend 10 days in the hospital for her amp and the study. Then we go back 30 days later to start chemo. I'm nervous about her being in the hospital that long. She's pretty nervous at the vet and she will be 2 hours away from me. They will face-time/skype with me and her and I can see her after surgery, but not during the study I don't think. She's not using her leg now, but she does use it for balance when she potties. For those of you with females who have a back leg amp, do they do ok learning to squat to potty or will she always need some assistance?

Seka's treatment: She feels pretty good and is comfortable 90% of the day. She pants a bit more when going outside and is up on her leg but she is eating better, asks to go out and just sniff around, bright, happy, snuggly, etc. She just limps. The radiation oncologist says she could do a second course of palliative radiation. Has anyone done 2 courses of radiation? We did the pamidronate infusion and it helped some but not as great as the radiation.