It's time to start another thread as we come near to 50 pages on the previous thread.

Below is information to help you make choices for yourself and your family, originally posted and collected by NeylasMom.

This is the fifth sixth seventh eighth in a series of threads. The original was started by a few people whose pups were diagnosed around the same time in July of 2010, but it appears it has grown into an ongoing thread that will provide both information and emotional support for anyone who has dealt with losing a pup to osteo, is currently caring for a pup diagnosed with osteo, has one that has been newly diagnosed, or worries they may have to deal with it in the future. You do not have to have a pup that currently has osteo to join in this thread - feel free to stop by if you've ever lost a pup to osteo or other cancer, would like to offer support to those currently dealing with this disease, would like to prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with this, or if your pup has been diagnosed recently. We've even had a person or two join in whose pups were diagnosed with other forms of cancer. Basically, anyone is welcome although we'd prefer there be no reason to have to welcome anyone or for this thread to exist at all.

For those who have recently had a pup diagnosed with osteo, here is some information to hopefully get you started:

Bone Cancer Dogs site - An excellent place to start to get general information about osteo, treatment options, etc.
Journal article on pain mgt - Technically an article on using radiation for palliative (pain management) care, but includes a good overview of the
types of bone cancer pain and the various ways to treat it including medications, radiation, and IV pamidronate
Dog Cancer Blog - Blog from Dr. Dressler, a vet who has dedicated himself to cancer treatment in dogs - includes lots of useful information via blog posts, as well as a link
to purchase his book (which covers all aspects of cancer care, both holistic and traditional) in a downloadable format.

The previous osteo threads, the original and part II, with over 100 pages of useful information and support. This is a good place to get specifics if you are wondering about a specific holistic regimen one of us used, the decision making process for choosing amputation or palliative care, etc.

For inspiration and some laughs: Winslow's diary

For those considering amputation, BigOrangeDog's blog about what to expect.

Yahoo groups where you can go for information and support:

Dog Bone Cancer Group - not greyhound specific, but a good source of information and support specific to osteosarcoma
Circle of Grey - a greyhound specific support group for owners of pups dealing with all kinds of health issues
Artemisinin and Cancer - for those who would like to pursue artemisinin as part of their treatment regimen, neither greyhound nor osteo specific

Unfortunately, the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at OSU has been discontinued. They are continuing to send out free carboplatin chemotherapy for the time being in 2014. Here is the address for the new website if you would like to contact them.

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/ghwp

Dr Guillermo Couto has moved and begun his own consulting business for greyhounds with cancer. Here is the web address for his new site:

http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/ghwp

I've left the OSU contact info in place for this thread for information only, but it should be removed in subsequent editions.
For those interesting in contacting OSU for a consult, second opinion, appointment, or amputation:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program
Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine
601 Vernon Tharp Street
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490
Email: greyosu@osu.edu
Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

For a consultation, you must use the online consultation service found here.

You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-g...g/donate.shtml.

Keep in mind that OSU does 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551. This information is also on the consultation service page.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact Jane (joejoesmom). She may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com[/i]

If you wish to help further osteosarcoma research, 2 labs that are collecting samples and have specifically requested greyhound samples:

Modiano Lab - Need tissue from a biopsy and blood; will send a collection kit and a prepaid return mailer; also accepting samples for hemangiosarcoma and lyphoma
Contact person: Mitzi, 612-626-6890, lewel001@umn.edu

Broad Institute - Blood samples only, may be able to help with shipping costs, but they prefer you cover them
Contact info: dog-info@broadinstitute.org, FAX: (617) 324-2722

Both labs require signed consent forms and samples must be shipped overnight.

Here is a link to Charlie'sDad's blog about their cancer fighting regimen - diet and supplements.

http://pinneyandpnut.blogspot.com/p/charlies-cancer-diet.html

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 8th thread. Wow. Can't believe it's been so long already.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I think Dude's amp was in the third or fourth thread. :( Several people have been around from the beginning when there were so many diagnosed in that one month of July.

But look how much things hava changed! No more GH&WP. Dr Couto out on his own. Metronomic protocol is deemed unhelpful. A new possible vaccine for cancer on the horizon! :yay

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The year the original thread was started (in July), my Sutra had been diagnosed April 15th. I lost him that October. 6 Months together :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest cas0673

Sadie is doing better now. She had her first chemo treatment a week ago. We were still waiting for the biopsy results from the University of Penn. It is taking a while because of the large sample sent to them and the decalcification of that sample. Sadie is a very sensitive girl. She is still yelling sometimes when we just GO to pet her head. She is just so sensitive. She would take the "snack" that we would hide her pills in from our hand. And one day she just wouldn't take them from our hands. We had to lay it down on the floor and she would get it. I think she is associating certain movements and acts with pain. Because sometimes she would get a pain in her neck and yell when we would give her a bone or pill snack etc and she would stretch her neck up to get it. Every time we jump because it so random and very high pitch and loud. But overall she is getting better.

I am glad Sadie is doing better and that the Chemo went well. She does sound like a sensitive girl so things will take a bit longer with her. Continued good thoughts for your girl and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Remembering the original osteo pups -- all were diagnosed within a week or so of each other and started this thread for info,support, friendship, etc --- remembering

Flash

Charlie

Sirocco

Anubis

Chase

Jasmine

Neyla

And my precious Rivie

You have helped so many

Guest Greytblackdog

Hi everyone. After a sudden cold snap, Seka's arthritis in her hips became pretty bad, causing her to put more pressure on her front leg (where the cancer is). The oncologist had us use a fentynal patch and I know it causes anxiety and vocalization. The pain is under control, but her anxiety has gotten worse during the day. Do I take the patch off? Is this something that will get better if we wait it out? Can they give her something for the anxiety if we can make it through tomorrow? My incredibly quiet girl has wined more today than she has in the whole 9 years I've had her, but her pain has been under better control than it has been in over a week. I don't know what is best at this point.

Guest fastcasper

Thank you to all the original pups (and their owners) who started this thread. I am very sorry you had to loss your battle, but your incredible bravery has helped so many after you deal with such a horrible disease.

Kim

Heather, I'm sorry no one was around to answer your question last night. Sundays are always slow on GT.

Hopefully you removed the patch, as I think that's the only way to mitigate the anxiety it causes. I suppose you could try an antianxiety drug but then you may have to deal with other side effects and interactions that are worse.

You might try upping her tramadol dose - or starting her on tramadol - instead fo the patch.

Just wanted to pop in to say that Henry had his fifth and final chemo treatment today. :yay Chest x-rays looked good. We have a follow up in three weeks with Dr. Urie, which I'm expecting will be the last one for awhile.

:yay Henry!

How is Seka doing? Did you remove the patch?

That's great to hear Henry is doing well and all done with Chemo!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know this is a ways off, but how wonderful would it be if this could be used to develop personalized cancer treatments for canine osteosarcoma:

IBM’s Watson Tackles The Tumor Genome, On The Way To Personalized Cancer Treatments

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3027868/ibms-watson-tackles-the-tumor-genome-on-the-way-to-personalized-cancer-treatments

We go for follow-up xrays this Thursday, then to see my vet to have her read them. Praying for the best, planning/dreading the worst. He still has his normal ravenous appetite, is still limping, swelling weirdly seems to get worse, then better, back and forth like that. This past week he was bright and playing with his bone for a few seconds (typical for Carl pre-limp), then coming into the kitchen to supervise his meal preparation. Runs/trots to go outside after his meal and when coming in, limps pretty hard right after getting up and a little less when he gets going. Weirdly, almost no limp when he trots carrying something in his mouth - chicken foot or bone to chew on. I don't quite understand that. No panting from pain, no crying, just the limp. He clearly isn't as active as normal, though.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've long suspected that a greyhound's food drive overwhelms most other issues. I have a friend who takes yummy canned food or peanut butter in a Glad cup-sized food saver when she goes to the vet. She holds that under her dog's nose, and the dog licks intently, totally ignoring blood draws, injections, and anything else the vet wants to do.

Wishing the best for you and Carl next week.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just wanted to pop in to say that Henry had his fifth and final chemo treatment today. :yay Chest x-rays looked good. We have a follow up in three weeks with Dr. Urie, which I'm expecting will be the last one for awhile.

Fabulous! Please tell BU Tracy (Kate's and Shannon's mom said hi!)

Good going, Henry! :beatheart

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014