Nadir- The Decision I Made...

or not. For the past month Nadir's water consumption and peeing episodes have increased, which would indicate the beginnings of kidney failure. I finally was able to take him in Tuesday for bloodwork and urinalysis. The results are a little conflicting, but very concerning. His USpG was 1.026, which is on the low side, but from what my vet explained, not where you really start to get concerned. However, his creatinine was 2.4 and BUN was 36, which by IRIS guidelines would put him at Stage 3. He's also been experiencing a lot of weakness in his legs. Turns out his Potassium level is low, which could account for the weakness. I'm not sure if he is going into kidney failure, but I'm going to treat it as if he was. I'm taking him in Monday for diuresis to help flush the toxins out of his system and give his kidneys a chance to heal. Because of the danger of the thrombus he has becoming dislodged during this otherwise safe procedure he could use any good thoughts and white light you could send his way.

Edited by 4My2Greys

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potassium typically runs high with CKD. I agree that the creat in particular is concerning, but I wonder about other explanations? :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:candle Sending good thoughts for Nadir.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Are you thinking phosphorous??

Yup, sure was, thanks. I even second guessed myself and did a quick Google search to confirm. Total brainfart.

Having cleared that up, what's Nadir's phosphorus level like? ;)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tracy, his potassium level was 3.8, which is within levels found in greyhounds. However, with the muscle weakness he has shown lately we are wondering if this could be a contributing factor. Any thoughts to other factors would be appreciated.

Jen, his phosphorus level was 3.6, which along with the USgP of 1.026 compared with the high creatinine and BUN levels makes this all very confusing as to diagnosis.

Does anyone explain what they Bilirubin-conjugated level is about. According to the reference range it should be between 0.0-0.1, his was at 0.2.

The bili is usually higher with ghs-esp males. It can indicate hepatic, gall bladder changes but, as I just mentioned 95% of all ghs will see bili elevation. Can believe I'm going to say this (I'm in the camp that hypoT is over diagnosed in ghs) but, have you run a thyroid panel yet?

Can believe I'm going to say this (I'm in the camp that hypoT is over diagnosed in ghs) but, have you run a thyroid panel yet?

My vet and I actually discussed this Friday. I too am in the camp that it is overly diagnosed, but Nadir has presented with some unusual things. So maybe a low thyroid, his T4 was 0.6, that is normal for most greyhounds isn't normal for him. So a full thyroid panel has been ordered.

Nadir isn't really normal! ;) So you might really consider thyroid as an issue. Even if the panel comes back fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Tracy, his potassium level was 3.8, which is within levels found in greyhounds. However, with the muscle weakness he has shown lately we are wondering if this could be a contributing factor. Any thoughts to other factors would be appreciated.

Jen, his phosphorus level was 3.6, which along with the USgP of 1.026 compared with the high creatinine and BUN levels makes this all very confusing as to diagnosis.

Does anyone explain what they Bilirubin-conjugated level is about. According to the reference range it should be between 0.0-0.1, his was at 0.2.

Hmm, well I was thinking if his phosphorous was high that might be further indication that there is a kidney issue, but the lack of elevation doesn't really rule it out. So basically I'm no help. :P

I hope you are able to get it sorted out quickly though. A thyroid issue wouldn't be the worst thing - managed pretty easily with meds, so I'll hope for that. :P:goodluck

I'm so incredibly sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug I am soo sorry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very, very sorry. You didn't cost him his life, though. You gave him more life and the most love he could have wanted. I do understand how you feel and have walked in your shoes. I wasn't as aggressive with tooth brushing as I could have been and my girl arrested after a dental. I still beat myself up over that even though I was just trying to do what I felt was in her best interests.

Big hugs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow