Irene In Icu

Greyhound friends, Irene has had an accident and is currently in the ICU at our local emergency vet hospital, Dove Lewis. We were having a lovely day at the dog park. There is a very nice one close by, and we have been getting there regularly. She's fit as ever, by all accounts. She was running very fast on a straight path when her right hind leg suddenly went under her, and she was on her side. After that she was unable to stand on that leg, and she was in a lot of pain. The neuro screen was suspicious, and the x-ray didn't show any evidence of fracture or dislocation, so they suspect either central or peripheral nerve involvement. For some reason they are concerned about the possibility the she may have thrown a clot that ended up putting pressure on her spinal cord. She mentioned that Irene had been holding her head at tilt?? Not sure how the two are connected, but it seemed like she was trying to say that there might be a problem higher up. She also mentioned that she thought the right thigh was significantly smaller than the left. I find it very hard to believe that I wouldn't have noticed something like that, or any signs of her favoring that leg. She was always getting glass in her paws when we lived in Baltimore, so we are very conscious of her gait. Symptoms are 100% unilateral. She hasn't had a neuro consult, yet, but they have one on-call 24 hours/day in case her condition deteriorates. I haven't been able to talk to her regular vet, yet, either.

Thoughts, anyone?
3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to read the thread here. The thread has lots of useful links.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you. This must be what she was talking about. Seems like most of the dogs mentioned in this thread are older than Irene (8), but it sounds like a better prognosis than a disc rupture that would require surgery.

Edited by Teensy

Quite often when it happens, the injury (like Irene's fall) is caused by the FCE--not the other way around. However, the fall can cause additional bruising and pain, so even if Irene shows pain in the wrong places for an FCE the wrong-place pain doesn't rule out an FCE.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Right. Even before they talked to us about her initial exam, I was wondering why it would have happened in the first place. I've seen her wipe out on corners, but this was straight on, and she was tearing it up, and then she just wiped.

Good thoughts for Irene.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My young grey, 4 years old had an accident while playing in the yard and went down. Could not walk, back legs were not working. Diagnosis was a ruptured disc. Bella was in a lot of pain. Best of luck to your girl, I hope they find what is wrong and she is able to make a quick, uneventful recovery. Will keep you both in my thoughts.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Sending good thoughts for a quick and complete recovery.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I too thought of an FCE. I've had two (one 10, the other 12) go through it and both recovered.

:goodluck for Irene.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest IrskasMom

Prayers and good Thoughts for Irene.

My Boy was running one time and his whole Frontleg went under . For a while he was limping , but it seems to come from the Shoulder. He is fine now.

A head tilt is generally one of several signs of vestibular disease, the others being nystagmus (the eyes flick back and forth) and circling or falling to the same side as the head tilt. Causes are either in the brain or peripheral. Peripheral causes generally have a better prognosis and include inner ear infection (in which case there is often a Horner Syndrome which involves a constructed pupil and prolapsed third eyelid on the side with the infection), a tumour, or geriatric vestibular disease which is off unknown origin and comes on very quickly and usually resolves over days to weeks with no treatment. Central causes can be things like bleeding or throwing clots in the brain, cancer.

FCE causes very one sided problems, generally does not cause a head tilt. Most importantly beyond the first couple hours it s non-progressive and non-painful.

Disc disease is usually bilateral, progressive without treatment, and painful.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

No advice, just hoping she covers quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Sending lots of healing prayers out to your Irene.

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Prayers and good thoughts. Waiting always gives me time to think the worst..Grr.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

We are currently working on transferring her to specialty emergency. She's still in pain, and now losing strength in the left leg. Looking more spinal chord than nerve root. Still could be an FCE. No bowel or bladder incontinence that they could tell. She's been super anxious. My Irene does not like new situations.