Irene In Icu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sending many prayers that she recovers!!! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks, everyone. She is resting comfortably at the specialty vet. I'm told that she has been seen by the neurologist, and he should be contacting us soon. From the preliminary eval at the specialty ER, they are not thinking FCE, because they think it should have resolved by now? Or maybe it shouldn't be painful anymore? I don't know. I wasn't there for that part of the explanation. Leaning more toward disc rupture or tumor or clot from a tumor. When we saw her this morning she almost immediately fell asleep. She had clearly been panic-whining all night, and was exhausted.

This is tough. Wow. I'm surprised I am having such a difficult time connecting the dots, and how much fear and panic is impeding my thinking.

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

So sorry you guys are going through this. Hope you can get some answers soon.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sending more prayers yours and Irene's way.

:hope :hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Okay, so she's seen the big neurologist that everyone seems to love and trust, and he squeezed her in on a day when he had no available appointments, so I sure love him. Initial eval was not exactly correct about the FCE. Could still be that or disc rupture. He doesn't seem to think surgery is inevitable. Tumor is unlikely due to sudden onset, but still not out of the question. Could also be a chunk of disk pressing against the spine, which would need to be removed. IN any case the chance of a lot of functional recovery is good. I am exhaling a little better now.

Edited by Teensy

We should hear about the MRI results in a couple of hours. I know they have her medicated, and when I last talked to the tech she was resting, instead of whining herself to death, so that's good. THey can only stay awake for so long, these dogs. Time to get some work done.

Oh poor Irene! It's so hard when they are anxious and get so upset in a strange environment. I have a habit of picking worriers too; Sid wouldn't care about being at the vet, Jeffie would be beside himself, so I do sympathise.

I'm so glad she's been seen by a neurologist and everything is in hand - also that some of the worst fears are receding. Fingers crossed that you get final answers soon and some help for the poor sweet girl! :hope:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

THanks, Colleen. So here's the MRI update. Looks like a disc rupture. Lots of bruising, and a tiny piece of disc material sitting on the spine, but he doesn't think removing it will make a huge difference. Pain control, muscle relaxers, and rest. No surgery!

THanks, Colleen. So here's the MRI update. Looks like a disc rupture. Lots of bruising, and a tiny piece of disc material sitting on the spine, but he doesn't think removing it will make a huge difference. Pain control, muscle relaxers, and rest. No surgery!

Hoping for a quick, full and uneventful recovery!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks, Meredith, and everyone who followed this thread. It really helped me get through the day!

...And just when I was getting my head together, my last physical therapy patient of the day fainted for no reason, and EMS had to be called! But that's a thread for another website.