My Grace Girl Earned Her Angel Wings 2/18/03 - 1/19/13

gracegirl

My beautiful Grace, my very best friend, my heart dog is gone. I am heartbroken and lost without her. I was playing with her at 7pm on Friday, even videoing her because she was being extra silly, and by 8pm we were on our way to the e-vet. DBF Ryan was there with me as she crossed shortly after midnight. Her neck swelled up, she couldnt breathe. We put her under anesthesia to buy us some time for a diagnosis but blood work, x-rays and an ultrasound were all inconclusive. She was not going to get better. This was a totally unexpected loss, she was in great health and a month shy of her 10th birthday.

In 2006 I got a job where they allowed dogs at work. My apartment complex had a weight limit of 60lbs, so when I was looking for a greyhound I needed one on the small side. I had five females and one male to pick from the day I went to the kennel. Within 5 minutes of arriving at GPI Grace had picked me. None of the other dogs seemed remotely interested in me, but she stood up in her crate, wagged her tail, her brown eyes melted my soul and whispered "It's me. I'm the one, I'm your dog". Boy was she ever correct!

She had never been in a car, never done stairs, never been in an elevator, never been on shiny floors, and had never been around non-greys. I put her in my car and took her to Downtown Seattle...busy, hectic, loud, full-of small-fuzzies Downtown Seattle. I lived alone and on the second floor, so I took her to potty and said a prayer as we tried the stairs. She didn't hesitate and went right up. From that moment forward she and I learned about dog ownership together. Not that I had much work to do, she was the perfect first dog.

I lived in three different states at eight different addresses with her. She never minded a move, as long as I was with her she was just fine. She's an international traveler, having visited Vancouver B.C. on two occasions. She loved riding in the car, going to the dog park, and she simply adored both my brothers but especially Geoff. She was a very quiet girl, except when she needed to be the fun police. She loved having her ears rubbed and she loved cleaning Fenway's ears too. She would clean them every morning. I'm so glad I got that on video.

I could write a novel about that girl and what she meant to me. I have endless stories about her beauty and grace. She was so perfectly named. We miss her. We miss her something terrible. I knew losing my heart dog would hurt, I just never knew it would hurt this much. Until we meet again, my friend. Go find Ollie and all the other wonderful furry friends who had to leave us. Find Uncle Joe, Dziadziu and Grandma too. Dziadziu is probably feeding you all the table scraps you want as I type this. I'll see you again soon, you will always be in my heart.

Me and my girl :beatheart

SeattleVisit207_zpse04883f8.jpg

Her very first bed

Isthisbedbigenough_zps05785b16.jpg

Her best friend, Ugly Kitty

UglyKitty_zps85d30ad3.jpg

Oh my, those ears

DogParkApril8_zps3c963007.jpg

She helped me raise Fenway, she was the best big sissy

Fenway31007006_zpsc9d27558.jpg

She loved that beach

DSCN0591_zps5212f0cd.jpg

She loved running with Fen

IMG_5643_zpsd142ed4e.jpg

The family, she thought Ryan hung the moon

DSC_0395_zps3f6f8547.jpg

My favorite pic of my dignified girl. She loved sitting in the sun. I'm so glad I took the camera out this day last fall. This is my absolute favorite of her, it captures her perfectly. This is how I will remember her always. :wub:

DSC_0011_zpsbbf69f8e.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man. I'm so sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I'm so very sorry. Your tribute to her reminded me of my Honey who I also lost very suddenly.

Run free, Grace

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm sorry for your sudden loss. She was a beauty, wasn't she? And a good girl.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug I am so very sorry. Our situations were similiar... first greyhound (and brindle!), alone, second floor, the STAIRS ... no problem. Right there, an enormous amount of trust was born. I love how Grace said to you 'It's me.... I'm the one ..." :heart:grouphug

Godspeed special girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. She was truly a "best friend".

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh no! I was so shocked to see her name here. I'm so so sorry for your loss. Your girl was indeed very special. Godspeed Grace.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups

Lauren, I am so very very sorry. I know the depth of the pain of such a sudden loss, one moment they are fine, the next gone. The only consolation is that they did not suffer long at all, and she spent her last moments with the one she loved most on the earth, playing. There are no words :bighug

Run with the angels beautiful Grace, you are with the very very best ~

I am so sorry. It is so hard when they leave us, but when it is sudden, it is even harder I think. You are in my thoughts.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011