Jj Has A Skin Flap Injury On Upper Back Leg

mychip1

Hi All,

He did this playing zoomies....it is on the upper part of his back leg...very bony area. He is walking fine. Vet's office over the phone said not to bother bringing him in as stiching it would probably not work...I also know that once I committed to not stitching, after a few hours the chances of making stitches work drops quickly as the skin dries out. Trying to keep neosporin on it....any other thoughts or warnings???

booboo2.jpg

booboo.jpg

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Ouch! But the vet is probably right in that stitches won't hold there. See if he'll give you some AB's without an office visit.

My new favorite houndie product is spray-on neosporin. The bottles are kind of small though, so you need to buy a few to get you through a wound like this one. Keep it as clean as you can and spray the neo several times a day. Also, warm compresses several times a day will help.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

ouch!!!!

do you have any EMT gel or spray? That's what I've used on injuries like this. Hoping he heals quick!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks....I have neosporin....but no EMT Gel.....is that more effective?

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Thanks, Magic!

Chris...I did pick up some of the spray but noticed it is tiny...the other thing is that the spray is not a triple antibiotic.....

It is oozing right now - which, while I hate seeing, is probably good for it for a bit of cleanliness.

I also bought spray hydrogen peroxide to put on before I put the neosporin. I always use that on cuts to kill surface bacteria.

They didn't indicate that they thought he would need an antibiotic, but I will call again tomorrow.

Poor boy...Dustin keeps checking on it....

They didn't indicate that they thought he would need an antibiotic, but I will call again tomorrow.

Poor boy...Dustin keeps checking on it....

Can you email them the second photo? That might help them decide. So sorry for the big boo-boo.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Was thinking about doing that, Mary.

Poor baby, looks ouchy, another vote for antibiotics, I have used triple antibiotic before for similar wound, also had staples done for another wound similar, always antibiotics.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Jeffie got himself a very similar injury on the backs of BOTH hind legs below the hock recently. One was more just a scrape but the other was larger and kind of skinned. I figured not much point in trying to stitch, looking at it, so I used Manuka honey. I smeared some on a self-adhesive non-stick dressing (I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it has a non-stick pad inside it) and left it on for a day and then replaced it and left it on for two days. Healed beautifully! By the end of the second dressing it was sealed over and dry looking, and after that it healed itself without further intervention.

You have to use grade 10 UMF honey at least. Anything deep or very large, and I'd use medical grade, which I buy online in a tube like an ointment.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Perhaps a water rinse would help. Just stand him in the tub and let water gently wash over the wound for a few minutes.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks to all for the advice!!! The biggest challenge is that JJ is not accepting of having ANYTHING worked on. In fact, he went a bit hysterical when I aimed the phone at it to take a picture...(not quite the picture of bravery)......

I have emailed the vet's office manager one of the pictures and she will talk to her in the morning and let me know if they want to put him on Antibiotics.

It is staying moist...so that might help.

felix has a couple of those injuries inside his thighs, i do wonder if his dew claw ripped it or one of the front nails or if he was just flying low to the ground, but i do tend to think those wounds are nail tears. i generally apply triple antibiotic ointment once or twice a day for one or two days and leave it to felix to lick them. if i'm ambitious i will irrigate w/ saline solution and then the antibiotic ointment.basically you want it to dry up a scab will form and once it's healed there should be another nick on the other leg and it starts all over agin :dunno . i use either saline or peroxide, preoxide will help debris the area and it will heal from the inside rather than a scab over the entire spot.as you see, just about anything will work- i've tried them all. felix came to me w/o a mark at 7 weeks, now....he has as many dings as a car parked in the south bronx! oh,- frankesence is really stinky but that has wonderful healing properties for wounds. the only problem is you DON'T want the dog to lick it.... the wound looks like it's almost the size of a qaurter, right??- he did an excllent job nicking himself!

Guest team_tonio

Ouch!! Poor jj!! Doesn't look like there's anything to stitch but you'll know tomorrow ... smart to email the pic. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Hydrogen peroxide RETARDS the healing process-you shouldn't use that. Use betadyne or gentle iodine etc instead. It will heal fine IMO. The trick is going to be to keep him from making it worse licking it. You may have to get innovative to accomplish that. There are a number of preparations that can assist the healing process. Currently I'm rather fascinated with how well genuine manuka honey works-and it is an extremely efffective anti-germicidal even against MRSA. Good luck!

Thanks all....Here's the update...sent the photos to the vet and they do want him to start some amoxycilin..... Also, I am bringing him by tomorrow for them to just take a peek at it (to make me feel better).

As far as the hydrogen P., I used it primarily because he will NOT let me near it to clean it, and I have some Hyd. P. in a spray bottle that I can get on there to try to clean it off.

As far as how he did it, I saw his back leg slideo out from under him and he yelped.....It does look like it is from one of his nails, but I'm curious if maybe it was from a small stick that dug in when his leg slipped.

I am hearing all sort of good things about Manuka Honey.

Lori! Great idea about PJ's...I don't have any four-legged - but could get some quickly. Only trick with him is that he HATES wearing a coat. Does anyone have experience to know if some dogs who hate coats are OK with pj's? He is fine if I tuck him in under a blanket; he just doesn't like the feeling of the coat.

Dude hated his coat, but loved being in pj's.

Hydrogen peroxide kills the cells on the surface it touches, including the healthy ones. Plus, it hurts like the dickens. This is why people say not to use it. You can put either betadine or iodine in a spray bottle with water as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree about the Peroxide.

I'd use idodine/betadine, but be careful...that stuff stains everything!

Keep us updated!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Funny....i always have a stash of betadine at the barn and would use nothing else on a horse wound, but never think to have it at home! And yes...it makes a mess.... but worth it.

Thanks, Chris...that's why I had hesitated about PJ's for him....Sweet Dude helps out JJ.....even from the bridge....