Jj Has A Skin Flap Injury On Upper Back Leg

mychip1

My dogs are accident prone so I would clean it well once then keep applying ab ointment on it and keep a close eye on it. If it started to look at all funky I would bring him in, but otherwise just leave it. If he'll wear the 4 legged pjs, put a maxi pad on the leg of the pjs over the wound. It's sterile and will keep him and the pjs clean. It will also pad it from getting bumped and hurt more. Also a muzzle with some duct tape over the holes the tongue would lick through is very helpful.

Just seeing this now Robin. Good thoughts for JJ and hope he heals quickly. Jack did something very similar with a claw and it healed well but he was also didn't mind us treating and bandaging it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Ouch! I hope JJ heals quickly!!

Vetericyn is my go-to spray ... and if you have EMT gel (or EMT spray), I put that on top.

If you do find that he doesn't mind PJs, you might want to decrease the temp in the house a little bit (since he might fuss with you because he gets overheated).

good luck!

Thanks, All....

Here is the update. I took him to the vet on Friday morning. She bent down to look at it (without so much as touching him anywhere), and he screamed, danced, cried, etc.!!!!

She said that to stitch it, she would have to widen it significantly to grab any real skin....the issue of him messing with it would still exist.

She gave me some spray to kill dead tissue. I sprayed him before work....the only downside was that it seems that when the dead tissue falls off, it tugs on the good stuff....and he had a major bleed (more than when it happened) on Friday night. I got it to stop and kept him from reopening it over night and it looked better yesterday. He seems good when I am out and he is muzzled, but if not, and he licks it just slightly, all hell breaks loose again...and that's what happened last night! Another bleed. (I have stopped the spray because it does look clean.) He was good overnight and it looked good again the morning. The top of it looks like it is healing. So....I will watch him like a hawk...I'm hoping with two nights in a row, the pieces tht are hanging will "seal."

He is on antibiotics. And, I have ordered four-legged pj's! Juliemac! Thanks for the reminder about the heat!!!! I hadn't htought of that, and we keep the house warm. Since Dustin is always on a bed, he should be alright with a lower temperature too with all the blankets he wants.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.