Dickcheney Is Gone

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

After a long bout with heart issues, our little chi, DickCheney, passed away in my arms this morning. :weep

While I knew that the end was coming, I'm still shaken and broken.

Cheney was a turn-in at the county shelter in June 2007, and picked up by a rescue group, who determined his age to be approximately 10 years.

We saw him at the pet store on a Saturday, paid the adoption fee and left with a new friend.

He was NOT happy.

Mandy was so excited when we came in with him. She hopped up and down----OMG OMG OMG you brought me a greyhound puppy that looks just like ME!

But after she got a good look and a sniff of him, she knew he was just a regular dog, not a greyhound.

It took a few days to find an appropriate name for him.

One night I was watching Comedy Central's "Li'l Bush" cartoon. Li'l Bush and Li'l Condy were talking to Li'l DickCheney. When Li'l DC talked, though, it was---ruhruh,ruhruhRUHruh, ruhRUH.

No words, just grouchy sounds, kind of like Kenny on SouthPark. And all the Li'l kids understood what Cheney said.

I yelled at my daughter to come listen! Li'l Dick sounds just like our new chihuahua!!! And so the name stuck.

It was a year later that we found his stage 4 heart murmur. And just like his namesake, our DickCheney was put on a regimen of heart meds. Twice a day. Forever.

Over time, a couple of new meds were added. He took 6 medications daily, and some were taken twice.

We did a little traveling with DC. Once I went to Memphis to see my sister, and our greytalk friend Hilda came and visited and met DickCheney. We had a greyt time.

This little chihuahua brought a lot of fun into our lives, and into the lives of strangers. His name + breed = several chuckles.

We have a small group of greyhound friends that enjoy getting together for beers. Tonight our people pack will meet and toast to another lost pack member. DickCheney was an honorary member of the greyhound pack. The people pack and the greyhound pack have been hit hard this year by losses.

Tonight, won't you join us and lift a glass?

:brokenheart

Oh Pat, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Those little guys can take a huge part of our hearts with them. Godspeed Dick Cheney.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Tonight, won't you join us and lift a glass?

:brokenheart

Absolutely. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Oh, Pat, I am so very sorry. I understand the void. I will be happy to lift a glass for you and yours. Hugs, Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry! :(:cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:grouphug

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Absolutely we will toast a glass or two! Here is to a wonderful honorary grey.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

So very sorry for the loss of your little one.

Run Free, DickCheney ...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed DickCheney.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)