Anubis -- Rj's Saint Nick -- 12/25/2001 To 9/12/12

RaineysMom

Anubis (RJ’s Saint Nick) – 12/25/01 – 9/12/12

Anubis….Nube…Nubers….Nuber Dubers….Nuberlicious

I don’t even know how I can ever give you a proper tribute, because there’s simply just no way in mere words to tell what a great boy you were. You were our baby, my heart boy, my snuggle muffin.

We got our first greyhound in May of 2005 – Rainey – and after months of trying to talk your daddy into getting a second, he finally caved in and I went to GPA-WI adoptables page. I saw your picture and knew IMMEDIATELY – just like when I saw Rainey’s – that you were THE one. We brought Rainey up to Emerald kennels to meet you and see if you hit it off. Of COURSE she loved you immediately! There isn’t a soul on earth that wouldn’t love you the minute they met you. You came home on November 23rd, 2005.

You fit in immediately. After a brief tussle with Rainey about 3 weeks in, after that you two decided you really loved each other and became the very best of buds. Yeah, she bossed you around but I think you kind of liked it.

You were crated when we were gone, and I remember coming home to you in the corner of the room, your crate had collapsed with you in it and you were so good, you just quietly waited until we got home, never doing a thing wrong the whole time. You never complained or avoided going into the crate, you were always trying to please us.

You only had one accident in the nearly 7 years we had you, and that was only because I got stuck in a snowstorm coming home from cooking school and you just couldn’t hold it. And you made it through having bloat, never complaining the whole time even though the surgery and the giant incision must have hurt greatly.

After losing your sweet Rainey in March of 2011, it took us a few months to heal enough to think about getting another buddy for you. During those months (then next day, actually, after Rainey left) you changed – it’s like you came even further out of your shell. You were always a super silly boy (we KNOW it’s that Gable Dodge in ya!) but man, did you get even sillier! Always tossing a stuffie around, happily prancing for walkies and mostly for food – my God were you a food hound! I have NEVER heard anyone chatter like you before you got fed. I just wish I could have gotten that recorded before you left…I guess I just thought we’d have more time.

So, Mr. Larry came into our lives on 6/11/11 – you both got along very well and he seemed to want to be the boss of you more, but I know now that it was more the other way around -- you were really a good part of his confidence. He looked up to you like an older brother.

You simply NEVER did anything wrong. EVER. Your only “faults”, if you want to call them that, is thinking kitties are very tasty and not really liking non-greyhound looking dogs. You lived for your walkies every day and it made me so sad the last 2 months that you rarely were ever able to go. At least we did take you for very short ones near the end, and you did the whole park on your last evening with us! You were SO happy when we did this and looked so sad when daddy took you back to the car and me and Larry kept walking a bit longer. But I know it made you so happy. And our last few trips to the winery, so many people giving you loving and you just lapping it up. I firmly believe you convinced at least 2 families that greyhounds should be in there future.

I am so glad that I was able to spend every minute with you these last 2 months – I was NOT going to let you languish in pain if you broke your leg while one of us was not there.

I’m so glad we had a good weekend before you passed – another trip to the winery and you enjoyed sitting outside with us on Sunday, and we even let you “diggy-diggy” your old giant holes (that we had filled in, seeded and proceeded to watch the grass croak from the drought!).

We were so determined to let you go one day too early than one day too late but that wasn’t exactly to be. You started to not eat well over 2 weeks ago, we thought it was from the chemo so we stopped that – but it didn’t get better, and continued to get worse and worse. I knew our time was getting short – you LIVED to eat and when you stopped eating pretty much everything, I knew we were close.

Your last night, your daddy carried you up the stairs to spend the night with us in bed, which the 3 of us had not been able to do in 2 months (one of us slept in the living room with him every night). You were my snuggle monkey and I sure missed being able to snooze with you all that time. You snuggled SO much with me that night, laying your head on my shoulder, giving me kissies.

Dr. Sutarik – who I know loved you as much as us – came early and let you slip peacefully away to be pain free at the bridge, to be with your beautiful Rainey again. I am sad that you were experiencing pain on your last few hours with us but had we let you go the day before I know I would have wondered if we did the right thing, and we do know now it was.

I’m trying not to cry but it’s so hard. You were just the most special boy in the whole world, in our world. Larry misses his big bro too. I pray my heart heals enough someday to open it up again to save another of your beautiful breed.

Rest in peace, my sweet boy and if you can find the time, please send us a sign you are doing ok. I will look forward to the day when we can be with you, and with Rainey, and our 3 other babies that went before you both. Until then, eat with your old gusto, chatter up a storm, play with the sqeakiest stuffies, go for the longest walkies and if you see my crying, it’s just tears of joy that we were the lucky ones that got to have you for our baby boy.

with angel Rainey back in 2006: :)

DSC_0519-Edit.jpg

Handsome boy :kiss2

DSC_0595-Edit.jpg

snuggling with Rainey :wub:

PA130439.jpg

P4110954.jpg

snuggling with Larry :)

IMG_0185.jpg

while this isn't the super chattering I never got to record, this is a hint, from earlier this spring:

http://s7.photobucke...ps7845eb91.mp4

he spent a LOT of time upside down :rolleyes:

P6101287.jpgIMG_0353.jpg

P1011405.jpg

his impersonation of Boris Karloff :)

IMG_0031.jpg

having a ball at a play date on 4/21/12 :) (He's the middle black boy, that is airborne!)

538959_3137964251179_1920797512_n.jpg

snuggling with daddy :kiss2

P1011400.jpg

snuggling with mom (he would "hug" me like this all the time :kiss2)

PB120468.jpg

my sous chef :food

PB240840-1.jpg

love them Gable Dodge earsies! :yay

P1011393-1.jpg

rest well, sweet boy :wub: we WILL see you again.

IMG_0326-1.jpg

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Au revoir, special boy. Tell Rainey and the other bridge kids how much we miss them, too. Hugs to your momma and daddy who will miss you until you meet again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can tell he was loved, and that he loved you just as much. Godspeed, Anubis.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Oh...I am so very sorry your Nube had to leave you.

You made so many wonderful memories with your handsome boy and one day I hope they will erase the tears and make you smile...

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Just beautiful, like your Nube. I am so sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so very sorry for your loss of your most special boy. :grouphug

Godspeed handsome Nube f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry you lost your handsome Anubis. What a wonderful life he had with you! He couldn't have been more loved.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so sorry. I know how special Nube was to you and all that knew him. :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so very sorry. I wish your precious boy had been able to stay longer.

Godspeed Anubis.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A beautiful tribute to your boy. Thank you for sharing your memories.

Nube, please say hello for us to Idol. We miss her terribly.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds