Greyhound Attacked While On Leash By A Loose Dog

This is going to be long post, and I guess we aren't really looking for advice or anything...

I don't post often but so enjoy reading the tips, tricks, and insights on this board. Husband and I are both new greyhound owners (coming up on two months!) and have learned a lot from reading here. But now I just want to vent and share a story as I learned a lesson I had read about in previous posts (carry a stick on walks!) but thought nothing of.

We have had our boy, Boo, for a short time. He is very shy with people, and shy with other dogs. He is calm with other greyhounds and seems to find certain other dogs, maybe 1/4 of them, interesting. Otherwise, he is scared of other dogs, even small ones. He also gets spooked easily, so we are trying to build up his confidence with basic life situations. Walks were a bit scary at first, and now he gets so excited, they are his favorite thing. Good progress!

Tonight my husband Mike took Boo on his usual walk, a few neighbourhood blocks and by the river. It is a very quiet neighbourhood, mostly older people and young families. On the block towards the river, he went by a house that just recently was sold to new owners. It has no fence at all, and a rottweiler can running out of the back yard onto the sidewalk and literally jumped on our dog and attacked. No barking, growling, or warning. Just jumped right on and started biting. My husband kicked the other dog off Boo and got in between them, and the owner came out after his dog. The owner had to kneel on his dog and restrain him by the collar, meanwhile the rottweiler kept lunging after our dog trying to attack. My husband told the man that if his dog is that aggressive, he needs to keep him leashed/restrained. The owner responded by saying "Meh, dogs are dogs!". Meanwhile, Boo was bleeding and clearly wounded. Mike explained that if it had been a small dog or child in the attack, it likely would have been seriously mauled or killed by the attack and his dog would have to be put down. The owner got aggressive and told my husband that he would kill anyone who called Animal Bylaw on him to get his dog put down.

Mike proceeded to leave the situation as the other dog was still lunging and the owner obviously had a TERRIBLE attitude. He walked down the block and took out his phone to call me (I was at work), but the other man clearly thought he was calling police or Animal Bylaw and proceed to walk towards Mike and Boo, with his (still lunging and aggressive) dog, just holding him by the collar, and make threatening hand gestures. My husband left the block, called Animal Bylaw, and they took photos and reports. They also had us call the police to report the threat of bodily harm for calling Bylaw.

Anyways, we took Boo to the emergency vet. He has some bite wounds but as they are bites, are not to be stitched, just antibiotics and cleaning and painkillers. He also has a leg injury which makes him cry, whine, howl, and not walk around. We can't really afford the xrays and sedatives it will take to diagnose it properly, yet. The vet said it is okay to wait a couple days and see if it gets better or worse... if worse, we will find the money, of course. Either way doggy is in a lot of pain.

The really unfortunate part is the bylaw officer that helped us went to the house and the dog and the owner were not around. She said she would keep trying, but of course the owner won't answer the door when he sees an officer in uniform on his front step.

I have so much anger that a dog owner would respond this way. Of course, if an aggressive dog escaped and the owner apologized, we would have still had the vet bills/seeing the physical and emotional pain of our boy. But we would have walked away and understood that mistakes happen. But as it stands, this man continued to threaten by going after my husband with his aggressive dog and himself after the attack, and will feel no repercussions. It makes me sick.

What makes me feel most sick is that this dog (whether the owner is a resident of that house or a visitor), will continue this behaviour as his owner clearly has something to prove by owning and supporting (rather than working with) very aggressive dog behaviour.

Not knowing whether this person lives at the house or was just visiting, I am unsure whether to:

a) Put up signs detailing the owner and dog's physical descriptions and attack/threats around the neighbourhood... so no other dogs have to go through the pain Boo is and can avoid that street. We are worried about doing this as Mike was threatened with physical harm and the owner would know it was us (only greyhound in the neighbourhood).

B) Make a similar notice and just put it in the mailboxes of people we know with dogs, so they can avoid the street or protect themselves when on it. Again, worried about repercussions of 'tattling' on dog and his large aggressive owner.

c) Do nothing. Not provoke a clearly aggressive dog owner and his dog.

Any insights are appreciated. We know the home address, what the dog looks like, and what the owner looks like. But we suspect they will continue to evade Animal Services and we just feel so helpless.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Let the authorities do their investigation first and see what happens. If nothing happens, then I would get the local media involved to alert local people about the vicious dog and the vicious owner. Obviously you need to carry a big stick, or maybe more, and avoid that area and surrounding streets for a while since the dog is loose with no fence. If you incur much in the way of vet bills, go after him for them. Take lots of pictures of your dog's injuries, and video is he is having trouble walking for documentation. You may need it later.

Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What a terrible ordeal for your husband and poor Boo!

There are jerks everywhere and I am sorry there is one in your neighborhood. Yeah, dogs are dogs, and if people are going to have them, they need to be responsible owners. Care should have been taken to prevent the Rotty from getting free in the first place. Any reasonable person in his shoes would have dealt with the situation from a defensive position... With sympathy, immediate offer to pay for vet bills, etc. But instead, he chose to be a bully and go on the attack.

Your law enforcement has got to be responsive to this situation. On top of everything else, the guy threatened your husband. Good that you filed a police report.

I would not feel comfortable with posting signs. This guy is unstable, and I wouldn't want to provoke him further. However, I would tell every person in the neighborhood what happened. If you have a homeowners association, you may want to contact the board. I would also consider sending that guy the vet bills and asking for compensation - but from an attorney, on the attorney's letterhead. Take your own pics/video of Boo, document the ordeal, and keep track of your receipts. Note: Your regular vet shouldn't be as expensive as the e-vet, if you need to have x-rays done on Boo's leg.

Poor Boo. I hope his wounds and emotional state heal quickly.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I am very sorry this happened to your husband and Boo. I hope Boo heals quickly and his leg is okay. I agree to see whether the authorities will do something as any aggressive dog with an irresponsible owner is a disaster waiting to happen. I am not a fan of "doing nothing", never have been and never will be. It has gotten me more trouble than it's worth sometimes however I have to deal with those consequences sometimes. As for this owner, I would be careful due to his verbal aggression and potential physical confrontation. I also suggest which I am sure you are doing is avoid walking Boo around there again at all costs if you can. I would pursue the police report though on his threats as usually this is taken seriously these days as there are too many nut jobs out and about.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So sorry Boo and your husband had to go through that. It is a nightmare we all fear. I hope all are doing better.

I don't think it is a good idea to put up signs or flyers in mailboxes as that could infuriate this guy even more and he doesn't seem like someone you want to do that to. The best way, in my opinion, is to let the authorities handle it. Police and animal control. Avoiding the home of this dog/person is wise, and carry Direct Stop spray or some other protection when you walk Boo. If nothing else, it will make you feel a bit safer.

We had a situation in our neighborhood where an owner's two aggressive dogs got loose and attached another neighbor's two little dogs while walking. One was seriously injured, but recovered. Animal Control told the owners of the aggressive dogs, that among other things, they had to pay the vet bills, which they did. We all found out about this by word of mouth - better way to go.

Good luck and I hope Boo feels better soon.

I’m so sorry you had to experience this! I hope you all can heal physically and emotionally soon. My Lila was attacked by a loose dog in December so I understand how you are feeling.

I hope your bylaw officer continues to try to get in touch with this guy. The one in my case was very diligent, going so far as to seal the attacker’s door with police tape so they would know when she was home. Keep in contact with the officer until you are satisfied with the results. Would she be able to help you to get the guy to pay Boo’s vet bills?

Word about this kind of incident tends to get out in the neighborhood, especially among the regular dog walkers. They all knew that “the greyhound” (we’re the only one around) had been attacked and by whom. I would not put up signs or send out notices, but I don’t see any harm in telling people you see headed in that direction that an aggressive dog lives in that house and that he is not controlled and attacked your dog.

Again, I’m so sorry this happened to you! These kinds of stories just make me sick.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

How horrible. A stick could have helped you keep that crazy dog away, but might also have provoked the retard of an owner to knife or gun violence against your husband. Are you allowed Pepper Spray or Mace there?

Under no circumstances should you now exacerbate the situation by putting up notices or leafletting doors. A story in the local newspaper or radio station by a reporter might help though. So just allow the authorities to carry out their work and check in with them for updates.

It is vital that you walk Boo elsewhere now so that he can get his confidence back. I hope his wounds heal soon and that leg has no serious long lasting damage.

See Turid Rugass's article in the link to help you read your dog better and show him that you know how he feels and are on top of all the problems.

People may think they know all about body langauge, but this goes much deeper.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

I'm so sorry this happend to you. A few weeks ago Spriet was attacked by a loose dog too. I can't believe owners can be so rude.

I probably wouldn't put up any signs. I don't know the laws in the US, but when this happened to Spriet we just called the police and told the whole story. We also told some other dog owners in our area and news like this travels fast. Within a few days the whole neighborhood knew about the incident.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

If your dog did not already get a rabies booster, then you probably need to get one for your greyhound. I'm assuming that you don't know if the other dog was vaccinated ... maybe you can ask the animal officer to find out. If the person lives there, he will have to show his face eventually.

As others said, don't post signs or put things in mailboxes - that can escalate an issue.

You mentioned that these people just moved in and it could be that maybe the dog got loose accidentally and it's not going to be an every day occurrence (but, then again, maybe it will be). It sounds like the gent got upset about having his dog taken away so maybe in the future he will be careful - if not, the police can follow up and make sure the dog is contained to ensure the safety of the neighborhood children (and dogs).

In the heat of the moment people can make threats that they will never follow thru on when they are back to being "level-headed" again.

I'm sorry this happened, it can be devastating to have your dog attacked and then to have the owner of the other dog become threatening but, it sounds like your husband keep his cool. Talk to your neighbors and let them know what happened and most of them will probably be concerned enough to also be on the "watch" for the dog.

Do you think the dog's owner is renting rather than the owner of the house? Could be some big liability issues that will affect their renter's or homeowner's insurance.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest team_tonio

Poor Boo! Sending happy healing thoughts his way!!

I also think word of mouth would be the way to go - nothing in writing - you don't need to give this guy any ammunition. He doesn't sound very stable... but I would definitely warn any neighbors I was friendly with who walk their pups often.

I would also be cautious with him knowing where you live... Is your yard fenced? If so, I wouldn't let Boo out without supervision for fear this guy would retaliate against Boo because you called Animal Control... Scary thought!

Hope this is resolved quickly for you!

First, I'm sorry this happened to Boo & your husband. I hope they both heal quickly & completely.

Second, forget Animal Bylaw, this is a police matter since he threatened your husband & chased him. Get a lawyer & pursue it. Bet he's already had complaints against him. He's a bully & dangerous to everyone. And I'm not even talking about the dog. You also need to get all your vet bills paid. Police, lawyer. Period.

Hugs to you & Boo.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Following Macoduck's train of thought.... Find out who owns that house. Tax database for your city, county and/or state will have that info. All you should need is the specific street address. Google the owner and the address, too. Knowledge is power ; ). Hugs to your Boo and your family.

find out who own that house, send them the vet bills, they are responsible, even if it was a guest and not them, if no response, sue them (get a lawyer!). they can then sue their guest if it was not them. (judge judy chapter one, verse 17). ensure the police follow thru.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Echoing what others have said... Let animal services do their job. File a police report about the owner's behavior. Just yelling at folks from your yard is rude behavior but leaving your property & following them down the street with a vicious dog is threatening them with assault, especially after threatening murder on any who called animal bylaw. He was basically using that dog like a weapon. You need the police involved as well. If the guy does anything in the future, to your husband or someone else, there will already be an incident on record.

Also, I would follow up on finding the name of the property owner. Would send the bills to them via certified mail so you have a record of receipt. If they don't accept delivery then send it via regular mail. Just make sure these are sent. And of course let folks know via word of mouth. Try to do it in the most factual manner possible without all the high emotion. Let it sound like a warning to others rather than just venting or ranting. You & your husband went to be seen as the cool, level headed party. Spread the word about what happened to your dog so others can be careful & also so they may be more likely to report it themselves. Sometimes people are hesitant to report problems. Later they may regret this if they find out others had similar problems & this is a pattern of dangerous behavior.

Hope your dog is feeling better. Am so sorry you all have had to go through this.

Guest lanielovesgreys

I also think you should not be responsible for those bills. Our first grey, Schumi, bit a vet tech at an animal clinic. They have to report it (apparently) and animal control wanted to quarantine Schumi for like a week. Schumi was battling cancer at the time. I think animal control is VERY serious about things like this. I'd just back off and give them time to do it. If nothing happens, re-address in a few days.

Sorry about Boo. :( We're nursing some puncture wounds in my house too. Not fun!

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone that replied. The support means a lot as we were in such a state of disbelief regarding the whole thing.

Boo is mending, the one set of puncture wounds is proving to be extremely painful for him but his leg is getting better every day it seems. He is having some trust and fear issues that have come up as well, but that is a whole other post.

Letting the media know is an excellent idea. We have a strong community association and I know they will DEFINITELY put it in the newsletter... great way to spread the word so people can avoid the area.

We filed a police report and they offered to go by the guy's house. My husband declined. He thinks a report will be enough that if anything ever happens with that guy again, we have enough evidence on record to press charges.

I decided I didn't want to sit back and allow this guy to be unresponsive to Animal Services and escape with no repercussions. So I did some sleuthing on the internet and found that the house was put up as a rental a few days ago. So I called up the number listed on the ad and spoke to the landlord. She said they just moved in 5 days ago, and she knew they had a large dog that they said was really sweet. I told her what happened and she was horrified... and very sympathetic. She phoned them and gave them warning that they needed to call animal services.

Anyways, the owner did call and was fined. Our bylaw officer couldn't tell us how much. She also said we will need to pursue small claims court in order to get reimbursed for our vet bills. I'm not hopeful that we will have any success with that, but I'm going to keep trying.

So all in all, I guess we are going to just have to watch our backs a bit... not leave Boo in the yard alone, not go by that house (our favorite walk! :-( ), and always carry a stick.

All we are hoping for now is for Boo's wounds to heal infection free, and that we can slowly work him out of the trauma and trust issues that have come from this.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice and support, we really needed it!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

How horrible. A stick could have helped you keep that crazy dog away, but might also have provoked the retard of an owner to knife or gun violence against your husband. Are you allowed Pepper Spray or Mace there?

Under no circumstances should you now exacerbate the situation by putting up notices or leafletting doors. A story in the local newspaper or radio station by a reporter might help though. So just allow the authorities to carry out their work and check in with them for updates.

It is vital that you walk Boo elsewhere now so that he can get his confidence back. I hope his wounds heal soon and that leg has no serious long lasting damage.

See Turid Rugass's article in the link to help you read your dog better and show him that you know how he feels and are on top of all the problems.

People may think they know all about body langauge, but this goes much deeper.

http://www.canis.no/...cle.php?artid=1

Great article, that is extremely helpful. I'm bookmarking that one!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

You received some excellent advice here, so I will just add that I too am very sorry that this happened to you. It's a terrible feeling to not feel secure in your own neighborhood. I hope that Boo heals quickly!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest Giselle

All he got was a fine?! I'm sorry, but that p!sses me off. Before anyone criticizes me for being too harsh, please take note that I'm the owner of a dog-aggressive Doberman mix. So my suggestions are colored by a long and deep history with working with many aggressive dogs.

In my opinion, that dog needs 1) prolonged and intensive training from a qualified, professional behaviorist OR 2) euthanasia. An unprovoked attack like that is a serious problem that either needs to be dealt with by a professional or euthanasia must be considered. Behavior like this is not safe and has no place in a civilized society. In my opinion, you've not received justice, and that dog is a continuing public safety issue. You're right. What if someone slips and forgets to close the door? What if a child were walking on the street? What if it were a weak or elderly person with a dog? This type of behavior is not acceptable!!

1) You need to pursue the small claims court. That guy is financially responsible for your vet bills. His dog caused your dog's physical trauma, and his dog was off-leash + uncontrolled on public domain. You're in the right by every ruler with which to judge this situation.

2) You should pursue laws pertaining to "Dangerous Dogs". Usually, city laws require that dogs with a bite history be quarantined AT LEAST. Also, what about homeowner's insurance? It sounds like your landlord was trying to find excuses for that dog, but I'm pretty sure you have grounds to sue her, too, if she doesn't remedy the situation (have the dog under the care of a professional and/or euthanasia).

I really strongly would not settle on this case until that dog 1) is under the care of a professional OR 2) actively demonstrates "sweet" behavior like the owners claim (i.e. the Canadian equivalent of a Canine Good Citizen - fat chance!) OR 3) worst case scenario, euthanized. It's just the right thing to do for the community's safety.

All he got was a fine?! I'm sorry, but that p!sses me off. Before anyone criticizes me for being too harsh, please take note that I'm the owner of a dog-aggressive Doberman mix. So my suggestions are colored by a long and deep history with working with many aggressive dogs.

In my opinion, that dog needs 1) prolonged and intensive training from a qualified, professional behaviorist OR 2) euthanasia. An unprovoked attack like that is a serious problem that either needs to be dealt with by a professional or euthanasia must be considered. Behavior like this is not safe and has no place in a civilized society. In my opinion, you've not received justice, and that dog is a continuing public safety issue. You're right. What if someone slips and forgets to close the door? What if a child were walking on the street? What if it were a weak or elderly person with a dog? This type of behavior is not acceptable!!

1) You need to pursue the small claims court. That guy is financially responsible for your vet bills. His dog caused your dog's physical trauma, and his dog was off-leash + uncontrolled on public domain. You're in the right by every ruler with which to judge this situation.

2) You should pursue laws pertaining to "Dangerous Dogs". Usually, city laws require that dogs with a bite history be quarantined AT LEAST. Also, what about homeowner's insurance? It sounds like your landlord was trying to find excuses for that dog, but I'm pretty sure you have grounds to sue her, too, if she doesn't remedy the situation (have the dog under the care of a professional and/or euthanasia).

I really strongly would not settle on this case until that dog 1) is under the care of a professional OR 2) actively demonstrates "sweet" behavior like the owners claim (i.e. the Canadian equivalent of a Canine Good Citizen - fat chance!) OR 3) worst case scenario, euthanized. It's just the right thing to do for the community's safety.

Thank you for your response... I fully agree that aggressive dogs still deserve love and good homes. I just think owners of aggressive dogs need to take EXTRA special care to not allow them to get loose or pose a threat.

As first time dog owners, I have questioned whether we have over reacted at all. Some of our neighbors mentioned the other dog should be euthanized, however, that was one of my husband's main concerns. He was SO scared that reporting the dog would mean that would happen. He is very into animal rights and fully believes (based on owner behaviour) that the owner has raised the dog this way and the dog should not be punished. Either way, law in our province says that it isn't even an option until a bite on a human is involved. Even then, when humans are attacked (but not seriously injured) it usually just results in a 'dangerous dog' designation... which just means higher licensing fees. Unfortunately, the system here seems to be a b!tch.

It pisses me off too that all he got was a fine. I don't even know how much, but my research shows maybe $500... max $800. No more, but maybe less. Hopefully it teaches the dog owner to be more responsible, but unfortunately, I doubt it will. We have seen his beautiful extendi-cab truck and motorcycle.. don't think money is a concern to him. Since he used his dog as an intimidation tool against another person, I am assuming he got that dog knowing and fully fostering its aggression as a 'tough dog'. Ruins the reputation of those breeds, unfortunately.

I contacted the landlord of the house today to let her know the owner paid his fines, and she confirmed that dog and owner are not the residents of the house... it was a friend visiting. The landlord of that house has been an angel through this. She is the only reason the owner contacted the Bylaw people (by threatening her tenants with eviction). She also stipulated that that dog was banned from ever being on the premises again. The renters that do indeed live there also own a pitbull, and she said they have to build a fence and even then, never let their dog run free, even within the fence. Penalty is eviction. In this case, I think the only justice that will be served is that the owner of the rottweiler was fined. I feel saddened that we don't know where he lives and I am afraid of who else will be the victim of this poor ownership.

As we do not know this man's name, address, or any personal information since he was a friend of the residents, and not the resident himself, I think we are unlikely to recoup any vet costs. We can go through the city who will send him a letter asking him to pay the costs. They cannot release his information to us. Considering he took NO responsibility that his dog even did anything wrong until his friends were threatened with eviction, I already know he will not respond. Pursuing small claims court will cost us half the amount of the vet bills, plus all the time we need to put into our case. I want him to learn a lesson but not sure the time and money it will take to bring him to court will be worth it. Unfortunately.

Word has already spread in the community. The landlord is so nice and I don't want her to lose her paying tenants, however, I won't feel bad if they feel unwelcome and move out soon. There was another man present and watching during the whole ordeal (we assume the tenant), and he took no responsibility either. If I had a friend over and my dog attacked a dog on the street, I would feel terrible and accept the charges even if my friend wouldn't.

Cross your fingers they move out soon, and cross the fingers even more that the rottweiler doesn't inflict any more damage on his own community, wherever it may be.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

as the perpetrator was a guest of the tenant, the tenant IS responsible, even if he doesn't think he is. go after him. he can go after his guest later if he wishes, but you should not be out of pocket. sue for medical and court costs. find a no win no fee attourney.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

as the perpetrator was a guest of the tenant, the tenant IS responsible, even if he doesn't think he is. go after him. he can go after his guest later if he wishes, but you should not be out of pocket. sue for medical and court costs. find a no win no fee attourney.

Ditto.

My heart is breaking for poor Boo! I so hope his leg heals OK. There is a lady on here whose whippet was attacked and injured and the trash rogue dog had such germs on his trashy teeth it took her around a year of vet treatment to get him well and of course it left terrible scars too. Fact is poor Boo may never recover mentally. That's one reason its so serious when this happens. Some dog authorities believe that once a dog is attacked (or seriously scared)by another dog they often become dog aggressive themselves from fear and it usually can't be fixed-ever. So in many cases the victim dog has been basically ruined for life. This is especially tragic when it happens to what was always a sweet dog that got along well with other dogs before the attack. Now I really doubt this will happen with Boo but the sad thing is now he has to overcome fear issues he didn't have before. It is good that it was your husband walking him so that he had the strength to kick and fight to protect him. Boo seen that- and that is very important because Boo now knows that your husband will try and protect him. IMO Boo will be alright if you and your husband just continue to love him-NOT reinforce his fears around other dogs- but rather continue to show him that he doesn't have to worry because you & your husband will protect him. I would definitely NOT try to push him into or around other dogs or people that might make him uncomfortable. IMO that would be the worse thing to do. Give him a lot of time. Just love him and if anything make a show (to him) of protecting him from being around other dogs or people that may make him uncomfortable. Over time he should learn that he doesn't need to be afraid of them because you are there to protect him and he will relax and not be so scared if at all. I also would encourage the use of Rescue Remedy or another BACH flower essence. Personally I have had amazing results with that especially with fearful dogs. Please give Boo a kiss for me. I do belive he'll be OK because you two love him so much and nothing is more powerful than love!

Also I would pursue legal action to recoup the vet bills like the above poster suggusted. Poor Boo should have the best care and the mostest care at THEIR expense.

It is very sad that you can not walk your dogs anywhere without the concern of them being attacked and possibly killed or ruined for life socially by all the trash rogue beasts that are allowed to run free and hurt innocents to the delight and glee of their retarded scum owners. I too have had mine attacked when I lived in the city. I live in the country now and I still have to take a gun & a knife with me if I dare to walk my leashed dogs on my own property of several acres. Apparently trash from the city moves out to the rural areas and think it is OK to let their trash unkempt and uncared for large dogs run free in the country and just turns them loose. I VERY RARELY even take any of my hounds outside my yard fence because I don't want to take a chance on them being hurt. I do take my Belgian Malinois out because I think she could problably handle herself better if she had too but I am heavily armed just the same to protect her because I don't want her attacked and ruined by becoming dog aggressive herself as a result-which would be a real concern with her breed. The laws just need to be stronger or something. And for goodness sake I would never leave Boo in the yard unattended as people like the Rott's owner are the kind of people who would no doubt take great delight posioning Boo. In fact you might want to keep an eye out before you turn him loose in your yard to make sure they havn't baited your yard. So sorry. Its terrible that there are so many stupid heathen nutcases around that let their stupid heathen ruined dog creatures run loose to terrorize everybody else but they truly are EVERYWHERE.

Please send the bill to the landlord. She can work it out with the tenant. Additionally, take the dog back to the vet for the additional tests that were needed and send that bill to the landlord as well.

Your dog should not suffer, and you shouldn't be stuck with the bill. You shouldn't have to go after the tenant or the "friend". It's the home owner's responsibility. Ask her to pay the bill. If she refuses, ask for the name of her home owner's insurance. Her insurance will pay.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04