Iker Has His Dental Domorrow

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your worry. I have been putting off Z's dental for far too long now because I'm terrified of putting him under. Now my vet thinks one of his teeth may need to come out. :(

Sending lots of good thoughts that Iker has no issues.

I've never heard about the use of Amicar for a simple extraction - will need to check wtih OSU about that before Zuri heads in.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just spoke to the vet. Poor baby had three teeth pulled. He also said his front teeth are a mess from chewing on something, maybe like a cage or something like that. He has come out of the anaesthesia and is sleeping it off. Will pick him up after work.

Thanks so much for the good thoughts. They worked :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:clap

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

sending more prayers! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yeah Iker! After you :nappy You'll get some special food :nod :nod

Hopefully Iker will heal soon! Ambi was "eating" (read: swallowing whole) kibble the day after having 13 teeth pulled!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

He's home! The right side of his face is swollen, but it can't be bothering him too much as I just caught him trying to clean the litter box.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

When Idol's face was swollen from a dental, benadryl was recommended. Feel better Iker.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Iker is a smart boy and knows that kitty tootsie rolls are soft and easy to chew.

It's a tradition in this household to hold a vanilla ice cream party when the afflicted one is cleared for action. Nothing like getting started on new plaque and cavities early.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Great to hear Iker is home and doing okay!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Might want to hunt down some Amicar. Dr Couto recommends Amicar for any hound that will be under going extractions. 500mgs 3 times a day for 5 days

What is Amicar? This is the first I have heard of this but if Dr. Couto recommends something that is good enough for me. What if you don't know if any teeth will be pulled? My Luka goes for a dental next week and of course I am a nervous wreck about it. I did't know about stopping fish oil too- what about coconut oil- should I stop that too?

I learn so much from you all. Thanks so much- Janice, Luka and Peace

glad he's home! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Poor baby. The vet tech went to take his leash and he backed up and sat between my legs :lol

Awww!! :wub:

He's home! The right side of his face is swollen, but it can't be bothering him too much as I just caught him trying to clean the litter box.

:lol

I bet he's pretty much back to normal today then, right? *crossing fingers*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest LindsaySF

Glad he's home! And that he seems to be feeling well. :)

Lukasmom, do a search on this forum for Amicar, a lot of info will come up. It's a blood clotting agent that helps prevent post-operative bleeding.

Poor baby. The vet tech went to take his leash and he backed up and sat between my legs :lol

Awww!! :wub:

:lol

I bet he's pretty much back to normal today then, right? *crossing fingers*

Yes, he is. His face is still swollen but that didn't keep him from trying to eat my bed.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Sounds like he's on the mend!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Might want to hunt down some Amicar. Dr Couto recommends Amicar for any hound that will be under going extractions. 500mgs 3 times a day for 5 days

What is Amicar? This is the first I have heard of this but if Dr. Couto recommends something that is good enough for me. What if you don't know if any teeth will be pulled? My Luka goes for a dental next week and of course I am a nervous wreck about it. I did't know about stopping fish oil too- what about coconut oil- should I stop that too?

I learn so much from you all. Thanks so much- Janice, Luka and Peace

Glad Iker is going well.

Slight hijack -Amicar is used to combat post operative bleeding. It's ok if you don't know if there will be extractions as you don't start the Amicar until the evening of the procedure. I would, however, call pharmacys in your area to see if they have it in stock-it's rather inexpensive but, not always kept in stock. I'm sure if you google Amicar/Couto you'll see a bunch of hits.

Hijack over.