Skye Is Here To Stay!

Well this probably isn't news at this point, but my little Skyebird will be staying with us. We made it official just a few moments ago! :clap

I never would have thought I'd have a third dog at this point in my life, but watching Violet's littermates racing and then making the tough decision to leave Gazelle in SC where there were already families hoping to adopt her put the thought somewhere in my subconscious. Then as I waited impatiently for the greyhound return I was supposed to take in, I saw Skye on the webpage of the all breed rescue I also volunteer with and I felt called to foster her, thinking if she was as easy as her description made it seem she'd be no problem on top of 3 greyhounds and would be adopted quickly anyway.

I was enamored from day 1, although I had to laugh at the fact that in my eagerness to foster her I had totally overlooked the fact that she was just barely one year old. :blink::lol But how could you be bothered by all of that chewing and puppy energy when you were met with a face like this:

DSC_0146.jpg

Strangely there wasn't much interest in her initially, during which time she and Violet became buddies and playmates. We have wrestle mania in here on a daily basis, but what really totally sucked me in were moments like this:

DSC_0175.jpg

and this:

SkyeVioletCouch.jpg

Then the kicker came when she and Zuri actually engaged in real dog play without Zuri turning into a total jerk like he normally does running around with other dogs (Skye really knows how to temper her play to keep him in check). They even share the furniture well:

IMAG1368.jpg

I struggled a lot with whether or not to adopt her, weighing how well she fits in with us against the additional work and expense and the fact that there was a couple interested in her who could potentially provide a good home. Unfortunately it took saying no to realize the answer should have been yes, but my group has been very understanding and today we made it official by signing the adoption contract.

Despite the somewhat rough road getting here, I know she's going to have a long happy life with us and while it is more work and expense, not only do we get the pleasure of a gorgeous silly puppy girl, Violet and Zuri seem so happy with the additional exercise and play. Violet especially seems like a very different dog, so much more confident and happy. Welcome to the family little Skyebird. :wub:

InstagramWelcomeHomeSkye.jpg

Can't help myself. Couple more photos I just took...

Maybe there's hound in her afterall:

IMAG1390.jpg

Tiny little ball of fur:

1342987941367.jpg

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest mariah

Awww, I'm glad you decided to keep her. From that video you posted it looks like she and Violet were made for each other! Glad that she and Zuri are starting to get along as well. She is adorable and I'm looking forward to hearing lots more about her!

Look forward to meeting her soon, and I know she will be a joy to host at Greyhound Rock/Camp Maureen.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Congratulations to you.....and especiallyh Skye!!! She is justg adorable.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Congrats! I was really sad last week when you thought she was leaving you. I'm glad it all worked out.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Congrats!! Three is a great number.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Just remember to feed the poor little thing every now and then. When are you going to make the switch from kibble?

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Yay!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Just remember to feed the poor little thing every now and then. When are you going to make the switch from kibble?

I was waiting until the contract was signed (was still scared something might go wrong) before contacting my meat guy, but with someone needing to watch her while I'm at Grapehounds I will probably start right after I get back. Basically ASAP. :P

She is adorable :beatheart I am glad she was able to stay :) Do you know ( maybe you said earlier and I missed it) what mix she is? Just curious.

They were calling her a whippet mix, but the whippet folks on here adamantly denied that. I keep saying that she's the daughter of 2 mutts. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Congratulations Skye!!!!!!

Just think, with 3 dogs in a condo, among your neighbors you go from beng "the lady with the greyhounds" to "crazy dog lady" status....... :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:confetti She's a real cutie!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest OPointyDog

Hooray! I've been following the story and am glad to know that your group was flexible and let you adopt her even after the other family was interested! Sounds like it worked out for everyone! :ghplaybow

Guest OurIndy

Hooray! I'm so happy for you and Skye! Congratulations Violet and Zuri, you've got a new playmate! Wish we could meet her at Grapehounds.

She is freaking adorable as I may have mentioned before! :lol

And she reminds me of a little brindle colored Mollie which is why I have been cheering for her so much. Mollie is so connected to me in a way that only Rascal was...I hope the same for and Skye.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021