Kara, 6/5/1999 - 7/17/2012

MarcR

Towards the end of May, 2006 I got a call from Greyhound Friends of NJ. Could I foster a seven year old return? At that time I only had Honey and Nadia, so I said "yes". Another volunteer brought her up from the Jersey shore. He met me at the local Petsmart with Kara. Her teeth were horrendous. She had breath that could peel paint. But she was a real beauty...

DSC00269.jpg

Since she needed a dental and it was close to Memorial Day, I knew she'd be with me for at least a few weeks. I told Linda Lyman I would cover the cost as a donation to GFNJ. Poor girl lost 29 (!) teeth.

I held out as long as I could, but finally conceded defeat and adopted her (making me two for two at foster failure :blush) Six months later, she lost more teeth, leaving her with a total of seven teeth and some of the most epic ETS...

kara_ets.jpg

When I adopted a new cat, she became the cat's favorite hound

Kara-and-Starbuck.jpg

IMG_0209_2.jpg

I named the cat Starbuck. If you watched the remake of Battlestar Galactica on SyFy, you probably remember Viper pilot Kara Thrace (Katie Sakoff). Her call sign was "Starbuck".

She could also be a bit of a clown

IMG_0429_edited-2.jpg

But she had the eyes of a wise, old soul.

Kara-4.jpg

A few weeks ago, I noticed her constantly circling to the right on turn outs. Her vet thought it was an inner ear inflammation and prescribed a course of prednisone. She improved considerably. Then last week, the circling returned, Her appetite began to dwindle. When she refused breakfast on Tuesday, I knew a visit to the vet was in order. Besides the circling, which had gotten worse, she was exhibiting other neurological signs. Her right pupil was dilated compared to the left. Her right eyelid was drooping. The vet said the most likely cause was a brain lesion, something we could not fix. I made the very hard decision to let her go.

She's now reunited with her sisters, Honey and Nadia

desktop.jpg

Run fast and straight, my sweet. You will always have a special place in my heart.

Dad

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc, I am so sorry to read about Kara's passing. I have always enjoyed seeing her photos and loved her relationship with Starbuck. What a sweet and gentle girl. Your three girls were very special and their loss so close together is heartbreaking.

:f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Greytious

Marc: I am so so sorry. She was sent to you for a reason.....I can see very clearly why. Her days were filled with love and comfort, fun with friends and a Dad of all Dads! You have the comfort of knowing she left you as a happy happy soul. You and your family are in my prayers. (I hope it is ok to say that in a group.) You are anyway.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

What a lovely girl.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I can't seem to find anything comforting to say and my leaking eyes are not helping. This is the part of sharing our lives with seniors that is so hard. Marc, I am so sorry that it was Kara's time.

Godspeed Kara. You set the bar on ETS, sweetie. The Joisey Girls, reunited once again. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest PhillyPups

Marc there are no words my friend. :bighug

Losing all three of the original Joisey Girls so close together, the only consolation is that they are together again watching over you.

Run with the angels beautiful Kara, you are with the very very best ~

What a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I have no words to express my condolences for your and our loss of your beautiful Kara. Your girls are together, once again. I am so very sorry.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow